BAD shaking front end! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BAD shaking front end!

aah! ive been trying to fix this for a long time now, hopefully you guys can help.

HISTORY.
So i got my beautiful 2007 cbr600rr in October and it had a salvaged title. It was stolen and has damage on the left side: clutch end rash, bar end rash, passenger and drivers peg, rash on left side of front rim, engine casing rash, and back turn signal rash. The seller said that the right bar assembly was replaced and i can see marks on the rite side of the frame where the handlebar had slammed into the frame (like if the bars were turned to the right and slimmed into the frame). It has all new farings so i cant tell what else was hit. I bought the bike with 1000 miles on it and it has 2200 now. I noticed this problem soon after getting the bike and it has been bugging me ever since.

PROBLEM.
I am getting violent handlebar shaking at speeds above 40mph. it is hard to tell but i think that it gets worse as i go faster. Anything above 80mph is really scary. The shaking is not to noticeable with both hands on the bars, but when i take one hand off or both hands off, the bars shake really bad and you can feel the whole bike shaking. It seems worse with moderate to hard engine braking.

SOME THINGS I HAVE NOTICED.
Maybe just a little bit of break pulsing when i use the front break. Also, when im riding and look into the mirrors everything is blurry. This is caused by the vibrations in the front end i guess. But the mirrors get alot clearer as soon as i hit 6k rpm, or if I hold in the clutch. im not sure if the mirrors stay clear with higher rpm or if it is just 6k rpm...

THINKGS I HAVE DONE TO FIX THE PROBLEM.
I have taken the bike to a few shops and have heard many different stories. One shop adjusted the front forks to be not at the same height (as in if you look at the top of the forks they are sticking out of the top of the top triple tree different amounts) One shop thinks my problem is caused by a small patch of rash on the left side of the front rim. One shop said that my front break rotors were bent and showed me that my wheel would not spin freely. I took the front calipers off and the wheel spun freely. So I got a set of rotors from ebay that said that they were straight, and I put them on and the situation did not improve so I returned them. I got another set and they rubbed a little bit but it was way better. Although the new rotors seem to be dragging less than the old ones they seem to be louder. I can hear them when I push the bike or if I ride with no ear plugs in at low speeds.

Help Help Help! Any ideas on what I should try? Should I try to find a set of rotors that do not drag at all? Since I rode the bike for over 1k miles with bent rotors could that have hurt the break pads and that be causing the dragging?

Any and all thought would be really really great!

Happy Holidays!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
all good, all the time

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you check the wheel bearings?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Knee Dragger

A little drag on the rotors is normal cause mine does that too. What kinda shape is your front tire in? sounds like a balancing issue to me. If it isn't that then maybe the nut on top of the triple clamp that adjusts the tightness of the steering head bearings is loose? Or your front rim is bent. That's all I can think of right now.

'03 RC 51 Sold! will be missed
'08 600RR Orange/Black--Sold!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 10:48 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

something in the forks? bent? seal busted releasing oil? improper suspension setup? HESD defective since damage. that is easily over looked and forgotten.

Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet Carbon Race Slip On
Vortex 520 conversion -1/+2
RK Gold Race X-Ring chain
Power Commander 3
Shogun Frame Slider Complete Kit
Proton Flushmounts
CA Smoked Integrated Tail Light
CBR Heaven USA F/E
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Tank Pad
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Gas Cap Pad
Reflective Red Rim Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
OTOH, if you try to be the tough guy and it gets out of control, a few years from now you may be thinking, "Man, prison still sucks. I hope I don't get boned in the ass again today."
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedownorlando View Post
you check the wheel bearings?

nope. how do i do that? or should i google it?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
A little drag on the rotors is normal cause mine does that too. What kinda shape is your front tire in? sounds like a balancing issue to me. If it isn't that then maybe the nut on top of the triple clamp that adjusts the tightness of the steering head bearings is loose? Or your front rim is bent. That's all I can think of right now.

the front tire is the stock one for the 07 cbr600rr. it has around 2200 miles on it and looks to be in good condition to me. is there a way that i can adjust the nut on the triple clamp? like is there a torque setting? or just make it snug?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucifeRR06 View Post
something in the forks? bent? seal busted releasing oil? improper suspension setup? HESD defective since damage. that is easily over looked and forgotten.

well i guess the suspension could be setup wrong... with the forks uneven and all. maybe the rotors were making the problem and now that they are fixed then suspension is making the bars shake too. do you think i should make the forks even again? i guess i could do that myself...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Demented

Mirror vibration is normal. The stock mirrors vibrate a lot, so it's nothing to really worry about.

Brake pulsation isn't normal. Either one or both of the rotors are bent, be it just a little bit. Since there was right side damage, more then likely the right brake rotor is bent a little.
With the new rotors you got, that's obviously fixed. The little bit of rubbing is perfectly normal. As long as you can spin the front wheel and it gets in at least 3-4 rotations, it is fine.

Which ever shop adjusted your forks to be differing lengths should be reported to the BBB. Adjust your fork legs ASAP so that they are at the same height before riding the bike again. The differing height would do nothing more then mess up how the suspension works and make the shaking worse.

1) Check to make sure that the HESD is hooked up to the bars and that you do not have any error codes for that.
2) If that checks out, loosen the forks and front axle (do this while fixing what the one shop did) so that everything lines up straight if it where not straight from the crash. Tighten the forks back up, then grab the front brakes and "bounce" the front wheel a few times by pushing the suspension up and down, then tighten the wheel/axle back up.
3) Check to make sure the forks do not move forward if you push on them, or when braking.

If all of that checks out and there is still shaking at speeds, more then likely the frame is either tweaked or the forks or bent.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:37 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd say wheel balance or bent. just to start. Bad tire would cause some vibration but it sounds a little extreme for that. Chech both front and back for balance and bent.

Then I'd look into a new front tire. They can cause shake but not look too bad.

Rotors... they all drag and make noise. they float so even if they're not bent, you might hear it rub and then be silent then rub again while spinning the wheel. That doesn't mean that they are bent. Simple way to tell if they're bent. Go for a ride, at least a couple of miles without hitting the brake and when you stop, notice how far you have to pull the lever in to to feel some pressure. Once you've stopped, let off the brake and pull it again. If it feels the same, then your rotors are okay.

Bent rotors will slowly push the pistons back into the calipers while you're wheel is spinning and when you hit the brakes, you'll have to pull the lever further to get it to stop.

Last the blurry mirrors. it's the engine vibration that makes them blurr and above 7K for me gets them to clear up. That's normal.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:39 AM
World Superbike Racer

holy cow, I guess I'm long winded. There are like 5 posts since I started typing.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:44 AM
World Superbike Racer

It a little late out in Florida D. Are you waiting up for Sanny Clause?

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:49 AM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
It a little late out in Florida D. Are you waiting up for Sanny Clause?
I have odd sleeping hours. :icon_lol:
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:51 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
also, make sure that all your damping and preload settings are the same for each fork. turn them all to full hard and then out an equal amount to something reasonable (ie, 2 turns out on compression, 1 turn out on rebound for each fork). re-establish your sag, tell the guy at the shop who put the forks at different heights to get his head out of his a$$!! put them back to stock height immediately! this headshake is undoubtedly ABNORMAL and needs to be fixed. it is a safety issue. definitely check your HESD system as well.

2004 Honda CBR600RR
-Spiegler SS lines f+r
-Woodcraft rearsets
-Woodcraft Clip-Ons
-GPR Steering Damper
-Vesrah RJL brake pads
-Elka 3-Way Shock
-CRG gold levers
-Leo Vince Full Exhaust
-PCIII
-green painted rims
-puig d-bubble screen
-Pro-impact Frame sliders
-EK MVXZ 520 green chain w/ Pit bull sprockets (-1/+1)
- .9 kg/mm constant-rate fork springs +re-valving
-Tanktredz
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Jesus you guys are great!!!!

ill give that all a try and tell you what happens as soon as i do. Or maybe Santa will fix it for me tonight =)

Happy Holidays everyone!

and thanks again!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Alright guys.

I Fixed the forks to be the same height and to be flush with the top of the triple tree thingy... i did the little test for the HESD where you open the throttle and then turn on the ignition and although i did notice some resistance, it was not a hole lot. im not sure how stiff the HESD gets but i have to say i was not impressed... How stiff does it get? and is there anything anyone can think of to try before i put my bike all back togather and give it a try?

thank you very much
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Demented

The HESD doesn't actually get all that much stiffer when at full dampening. Personally I'd say it's about twice as stiff as without it on. If you do feel some resistance when doing the HESD test, it should be fine.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
The HESD doesn't actually get all that much stiffer when at full dampening. Personally I'd say it's about twice as stiff as without it on. If you do feel some resistance when doing the HESD test, it should be fine.

alright, so i guess i will put it all back together and give it a try.

thanks for your help and ill let you know what happens =)
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

aaah! that did not fix the problem!!!

so what do you think i should try next gentlemen?
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:44 AM
Demented

If that didn't fix it, either your forks are bent, the frame is tweaked, or the front wheel is bent. Also could be your suspension. Have you made sure the settings where the same on each leg?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
If that didn't fix it, either your forks are bent, the frame is tweaked, or the front wheel is bent. Also could be your suspension. Have you made sure the settings where the same on each leg?

i haven't, i will have to read up on how to do that. ill try the suspension and tell you how it goes.

thanks =)
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Demented

Just turn the rebound and compression all the way to either the left or right, then rotate it 2.5 times back so it's in stock settings.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:53 PM

mine WAS the wheel bearings.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

its wheel bearings, wheel isn't balanced or wheel is bent or really bad un even tire wear

Death Smiles Upon Us All, All One Can Do Is twist The Throttle And Smile Back...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page