shaking at 60 - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Rusted Hood

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
shaking at 60

i have an 03 600rr..when im running at about 55-60 and let off the handlebars they start shaking badly..bikes never been wrecked so i dont know what to do about it..help a noob out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Demented

Is there a steering stabilizer on the bike? If not that could be why. Also, have you touched the suspension settings recently?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 AM

have u put aftermarket barends on it??? have u messed with any of the plastic??? if u have aftermarket barends.. put bb's in the clipon to dampen it..

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawilly View Post
have u put aftermarket barends on it??? have u messed with any of the plastic??? if u have aftermarket barends.. put bb's in the clipon to dampen it..
Barends wont mess with the steering and make the front shake.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 AM

yes they will... it happend on my buddys fzr... his stock barends were steel and he bought the cheap fake carbon fiber ones and it made his vibrate bad..we done the bb thing and fixed it..
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Demented

Quote:
yes they will... it happend on my buddys fzr... his stock barends were steel and he bought the cheap fake carbon fiber ones and it made his vibrate bad..we done the bb thing and fixed it..
Vibrations is one thing, bars shaking back and forth making the bike wobble is another.
Lighter barends don't always make more vibrations in the bars either.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Rusted Hood

nope...havent messed with suspension...or plastics. only thing is i dont have barends.the bike was missing one when i bought it and i took the other one off when i put new grips on..been meaning to replace them but havent got around to it
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Demented

No steering stabilizer? I'd bet that would be why. How does the bike feel at those speeds with your hands on?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:04 PM

The lack of bar end's sounds like the problem, I'd put some good weighted ones on (bb's in them etc) and I bet you'll see an improvement.

I don't think the lack of steering stabilizer is an issue, I'm the odd ball down my way with one on. I've ridden bikes without them at vaious speeds and never noticed a bad shake, especially between 55 and 60.

Now, you most certainly can get bad shakes without a stabilizer but not typically from riding a smooth line at 55... correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:57 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get a new front tire. Every now and then when I come to a stop, I let go of the bars while just engine braking and at the same speed everytime, the bars would shake on me too. I had the right tire pressure and my tire didn't look too bad ( just a very little cupping in the tread) but new tire and everything was great again.

I know that taking off the wheel and putting it back on can reallign something that was out but sreiously, it was the tire.

Your tire will last you for a while longer, there is really no safety issue with a halfway worn out tire. But if you want to let go of the bars, it becomes a safety issue. I'm just saying if you can't afford a new tire right now, I wouldn't stop riding.... just hold on all the time.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

Last edited by dcope17; 01-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
No steering stabilizer? I'd bet that would be why. How does the bike feel at those speeds with your hands on?

Sounds like that is correct.
It can get really bad (tank slapper), next thing you know your sliding down the road on your arsss.. and then going to get some skin graphs. THat sux.

Steering damper is like an airbag. You don't think you need one.
But, when the time comes, you'll be thankfull you DO have one.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRacing. View Post
Steering damper is like an airbag. You don't think you need one.
But, when the time comes, you'll be thankfull you DO have one.
Cannot get any truer then this. I'm thankful for my HESD every day I hit the highway or various roads in Florida. It has saved me too many times to count.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Rusted Hood

looks like i will be purchasing a dampner...they dont shake until i let off the bars at around 60..lower speeds it doesnt shake
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Demented

That would definitely be a damper issue. Since there is no longer any pressure holding the wheel straight, the front will want to turn where the road wants it to go.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Knee Dragger

this same **** just started happening to me on my 07rr.. I think i agree with the tire thing as mine is getting bald. dont know how this could cause the shke though
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 05:24 PM

If it wasn't in any accident's ... could it be a flat spot on the tire or maybe balance? just a guess
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oweseven View Post
this same **** just started happening to me on my 07rr.. I think i agree with the tire thing as mine is getting bald. dont know how this could cause the shke though
I don't know the physics behind the tire wear and why the bars would shake. But I've only had the one instance and I believe the new tire fixed the prob. The bike felt a lot better with the new tread.

However, I'm can not guarantee that a new tire would fix the problem. But if it didn't used to shake and now it does. Then it used to be fine and now it's not. Then what has changed? Just new tire to worn tire.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Go get the front tire balanced first to see if its out of balance. A unbalanced wheel will make a heck of a shake!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Knee Dragger

Why does everyone seem to think that a steering stabilizer is necessary in order to not have shaking in the handlebars? How come by stock '04 can ride smooth and straight at 60 mph without one?

Even if you put a steering stabilizer on and it gets rid of the shaking, the problem that was causing it in the first place will still be there. The safest solution is definitely to fix whatever is causing the wobble.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:59 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaRR View Post
Why does everyone seem to think that a steering stabilizer is necessary in order to not have shaking in the handlebars? How come by stock '04 can ride smooth and straight at 60 mph without one?

Even if you put a steering stabilizer on and it gets rid of the shaking, the problem that was causing it in the first place will still be there. The safest solution is definitely to fix whatever is causing the wobble.

If the problem is a worn tire. ( not worn out) Then there are 3 solutions.
New tire
Don't let go of the bars
Dampener

I would recommend a dampener only cause I've had a couple tank slappers however, I never crashed. If it solves the problem of a cupped tire making the bars shake and prevents tank slappers. I'd go with the Dampener.

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Knee Dragger

Steering Head Bearings

Getting a damper is just going to cover the problem. I've had front end shake in the past and it was either the rear wheel was not straight or the worst one was when my steering head bearings went.

If I were riding down the road, took my hands off the front end would start to shake real bad. I replaced the bearings and the problem went away.

A sucking chest wound is natures way of telling you to slow down.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncbr900 View Post
Getting a damper is just going to cover the problem.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:

whats the BB thing.. i noticed a bit of shaking too after i put on some yosh bar ends.. its not constant either, totally intermittent.. sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt.. i was thinking maybe it was the bar ends i changed out.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 PM

one my 08 rr about 60 -62 mph let go a min to stech ..my front wheel starts to shake too below that its fine an higher then that its good too!! my tire little worn out too but i have a elc stabblelizer on mine so know its not that .. gotta be the tire ot its un balanced ?? any one think the same ??? ...... sunnyside up !!!
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaRR View Post

thats what im saying, i hit 130 into a corner and i dont have a stablizer yet. even at 60mph, smooth as a babies a$$. like dude mentioned, spen the least amount of paper, balance both tires and go from there.

R.I.P. PHATTY
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I know that 250 ninja's were prone to do this because the front end was so light but im with everyone saying not to get a dampner to fix the problem. its only going to mask the problem. My 05 NEVER did this at ANY speed. I would look at a tire or alignment problem or bearings. your bike should NOT do that. especially at 50-60mph.

also considering you don't have bar ends I would get bar ends....they are there to help stabilize your bars...however I think you still have a problem because I put delrin bar ends on mine and they barely weigh as much as a pencil and my bike doesn't wobble (even before I put my dampner on)

05CBR600RR Blk Tribal

Scotts Damper, Harris "CBR" Grips, Hotbodies Flushmounts, Micron Slipon, Vortex Sliders/Spools, Sportec Windscreen (Red), Stomp Grips(Clear), Galindo Delrin Bar Ends(Red), PCIIIusb, DIY Velocity Stacks(Short), BMC Air Filter, Tripage Evil Eyes & 3rd Eye(Red), Rim Tape(Red),
BrowningBuck MOTY Gear Indicator Mod(Red)
, HEL SS Brakelines(Red), Vesrah RJL pads

Coming Soon
Powdercoating, Shorty Pazzo Levers(Red w/Blk Adjuster)

Last edited by c5jetmech81; 06-24-2009 at 07:36 PM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

old thread is old, wonder what happend to op.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Pocketbike Racer

haha i didnt even look at the OP date

05CBR600RR Blk Tribal

Scotts Damper, Harris "CBR" Grips, Hotbodies Flushmounts, Micron Slipon, Vortex Sliders/Spools, Sportec Windscreen (Red), Stomp Grips(Clear), Galindo Delrin Bar Ends(Red), PCIIIusb, DIY Velocity Stacks(Short), BMC Air Filter, Tripage Evil Eyes & 3rd Eye(Red), Rim Tape(Red),
BrowningBuck MOTY Gear Indicator Mod(Red)
, HEL SS Brakelines(Red), Vesrah RJL pads

Coming Soon
Powdercoating, Shorty Pazzo Levers(Red w/Blk Adjuster)
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
damn, way old. lol

R.I.P. PHATTY
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 80 reviews
very old, but same thing is happeneing to me. at around 50-60mph i get some pretty bad wobbling. at any other speeds its fine. take my hands off the bars between those speeds and the bars move back and forth. looks like a mini tank slapper. I can feel it through the bars when I have my hands on them.

going to replace the steering head bearings. im thinking its a loose steering head nut. well see. ill post back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page