Trouble Starting '07 - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble Starting '07

I have a '07 that I bought Brand New a year and a half ago. Has 6k on it and I'm having trouble starting it. It has been sitting in my garage for the past couple of weeks. Tried to start it and it turns over but keeps spinning. Can smell raw fuel. I put a 1AMP Trickle Charger on it last night. Went to try again this morning and it still just turns over with no start. Was wondering if I need to keep the charger on it a couple of days and then try? Also, if it's flooded, how long should it sit before I should try again. My last resort is to have it towed to the dealership. It's totally stock. No Mod's other than the Brake Handles, (ASV's). Any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:52 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it's a mechanical issue, sounds like the plugs. Everything seems ok. If you're smelling fuel then everything else in the motor is working other wise the fuel pump wouldn't prime and you wouldn't smell any fuel.

If you think it's flooded, on your '07, you can have the kill switch off and the starter will still run. Turn on the key and turn off the kill switch by the throttle. Hold the throttle wide open and push the start button for a few seconds. This will suck in clean air but will not put and fuel into the motor. Then try to start it like normal.

Also check the air filter. 6K miles isn't too much but if it's been sitting outside, maybe it is wet and not letting any air in.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
If it's a mechanical issue, sounds like the plugs. Everything seems ok. If you're smelling fuel then everything else in the motor is working other wise the fuel pump wouldn't prime and you wouldn't smell any fuel.

If you think it's flooded, on your '07, you can have the kill switch off and the starter will still run. Turn on the key and turn off the kill switch by the throttle. Hold the throttle wide open and push the start button for a few seconds. This will suck in clean air but will not put and fuel into the motor. Then try to start it like normal.

Also check the air filter. 6K miles isn't too much but if it's been sitting outside, maybe it is wet and not letting any air in.
^^^Thanks so much. I will give that a shot when I get home tonight. I'm not that technical when it comes to spark plugs and such. In other words... I don't want to mess with them cuz I don't have any idea what to do there. So, I will try with the Kill Switch OFF opening up the Throttle all the way and running the Starter for a few sec's. Then, try and start it the Normal way. I'm hoping it's just Flooded.

Thx!

Oh, and my bike is always in my garage. I never let it sit outside.

Last edited by skical; 01-05-2009 at 07:23 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
let us know how it goes.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Knee Dragger

good luck, sounds like it might be something stupid like the plugs or low batt. If you let it sit for months you should put some fuel stabilizer in it. the s*** fuel they use these days gums up quick.

"A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be sitting next to you saying man we f**ked up"

Live life with no regrets!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I will certainly let you know how it goes. I work late tonight. So, most likely I will know by tomorrow. I will have left the Trickle Charger on there for a long time by then. And hopefully it will start. Thanks for the input!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks so much "dcope17" !!! It started after about 4 or 5 attempts doing the Throttle open technique. It was very flooded. You saved me a bunch of money. I'm glad to have my bike back again. Case Closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page