transmission? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transmission?

After i took off the gear linkage arm and tried to put it back on, the shaft would move in and out. i have to pull it out in order to change gears and bring it into neutral. But the neutral diode will not come on so i have to hold in the clutch whenever i want to start the bike. After i got the bike running i had some serious clutch clatter and tightened the cluth alot to make it go away to the point where there was no freeplay. what is the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Demented

A vibrating noise from the clutch is normal.

As for the neutral light, check the wires to make sure they're not cut, disconnected, or pinched.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
D is right on the clutch noise...

I copied this from another post I replied to. They all make that noise.

" Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWakeskater
this reminds me of a question that i wanted to ask about clutch play. I removed all of it because i was hearing an odd noise in the engine case during low speeds... after removing the play, it went away. Could this be an oil issue?

I know this sounds funny but the rattle is normal too. There is the clutch pressure plate, a bearing and a pin. The pin attaches to the clutch with the bearing, and (that arm that moves on top of the clutch cover) inside pulls the pin releasing the clutch. When the clutch lever is fully released, that pin starts to spin and the end rattles around in the arm piece that pulls it. That why it takes just a little pull on the clutch lever to get that to stop making noise. Just let it be a Honda and don't try to stop it from making that rattle. "

As for the shifting linkage pushing in, you either bent or broke the tab inside the engine that keeps that from happening. If it broke, It probably went down to the oil pan but the pump will not suck it up. There is a screen keeping that from happening and you might even get lucky, it might come out when you change the oil.

However, with the neutral switch problen and the shift linkage thing, I'd just fix it. If you live close, I'd help ya... most people are afraid of tearing into their engine but what you have isn't too bad. Hope this helpes.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

the clatter was really loud. louder than the bike. is that normal. ive only ever heard them on ducatti's with the external clutch
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it's as loud as the Clutch on the duck then there is a problem.. those are annoying. this pin inside rattling... I can even feel it through the bars but I assure that it is normal.

Not because I have had a few 600rr's but I have had the motors apart and I see how they work and why it makes the sound. I see no harm in tightening the clutch cable to get it to stop but the only drawback is having the clutch engagement point so far out from the grip.

Just make sure you only tighten it just enough... too tight and you might make your clutch slip.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i brought the bike to the dealer and they took the engine case off. the tab holding the shaft in place did snap off and was sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. as for the neutral light one of the wires were disconnected. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page