03 600rr wont start....Help! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
03 600rr wont start....Help!

So im rebuilding a wrecked 03 600rr. Just got a new stator cover in the mail yesterday so I put it on and attempted to crank it today. Turns over but wont start. When I turn the key on I dont really hear the fuel pump so it may be that. How do I check for sure? And if im not getting any spark whats a quick way to check for that?

As the bike sits it doesnt have any guages plugged into it or anything. Most of the wiring harness is unplugged. But it is turning over so I wouldnt see why anything else would need to be plugged in to make it run.

Just looking for a few pointers from you guys to help me get it running. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Check the kill switch?
Kickstand switch?
NSS?
Voltage to fuel pump?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawRR View Post
Check the kill switch?
Kickstand switch?
NSS?
Voltage to fuel pump?

Not the kill switch.
Not the kickstand switch.
What is NSS?
Ill have to check the voltage.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Anyone else?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
All the engine sensors HAVE to be plugged in for it to start. If one is not connected... you will not get fuel or spark.

You'll know when you have enough engine stuff plugged in when you hear the fuel pump prime. However you can have the spark plug wires not connected and the motor will prime the fuel pump but it still won't start. You can leave the gauges off but I'd plug in everything else and then try it.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
All the engine sensors HAVE to be plugged in for it to start. If one is not connected... you will not get fuel or spark.

You'll know when you have enough engine stuff plugged in when you hear the fuel pump prime. However you can have the spark plug wires not connected and the motor will prime the fuel pump but it still won't start. You can leave the gauges off but I'd plug in everything else and then try it.

How many sensors plug in from the main harness that has the guage cluster plug? Im gonna have to take some pics later of what im working with.

Also since the bike was wrecked is it possible that the tip over sensor is messed up or something? Where is that located so I can check?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

tip sensor is attached to the inside of the upper fairing
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blueR6 View Post
tip sensor is attached to the inside of the upper fairing
You can also wire a bypass if you think the sensor is bad but want to find out if the bike will run.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
World Superbike Racer

I'm just guessing on all these but this is what I think you need to have hooked up to get it to run...

Obviously the ECU
-All the injectors
-Cam Position sensor locaten on the left side of the motor by the exhaust headers
-Crankshaft position sensor Wire that comes out the front of the clutch cover
-Man now that I think of it... there are too many parts to list.

If you have an extra plug... find its mate. To ride the bike, you'll have to do it sometime.

www.helminc.com has shop repair manuals...$60 and it will solve all of your problems.

Good luck keep us up to date.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Well I bought the bike wrecked so im thinking I may be missing some things. I have a bunch of things that arent plugged in right now but at the same time I dont know where they go. Anyone have any pictures of the wiring harness all plugged into its correct places?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So im doing a little research around the site and I def dont have the BAS sensor even plugged in. The front end of the bike was smashed so the fairings and headlights are all banged up. Ill have to look through the rubbish and see if I can find the sensor.

Do the guages have to be plugged in for the bike to start?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 PM
World Superbike Racer

Wiring on an '03 is not too difficult. Once you plug in the ECU almost all the connectors will fall into the right place. However, if plugs or sensors are missing, then that will throw a wrench into things.

I'd order the manual tonight and maybe it will show up by friday. I took my '07 apart and the wiring on it was a lot harder then the wiring on the '03. I took it apart myself and still needed the manual to wire it back up. I know it sucks to spend $60 on something that will just be sitting on the shelf most of the time but if you're not familiar with a 600rr and the first one you got has to be fixed (especially what you need to do). The manual is the only way to go.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So to bypass the BAS sensor do I actually need to have the sensor? Cuz it was apparently lost in the wreck so im gonna need to get another on.

Can anyone walk me through bypassing the BAS sensor?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

It cranked once!!!!

I bypassed the BAS sensor and it cranked first try. I shut if off and now if wont start again. It was smelling of gas strong out the exhaust so iot may have been flooded or still is. Possible that I fouled the plugs??? Help!!! why wont it crank again!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 PM
World Superbike Racer

Before we go on, we need to get a few terms to mean the same thing for all of us

Crank or cranking means that the starter motor is turning the engine...It doesn't mean that the motor is running though. It just means that pushing the starter button, the starter is working properly.

If the motor starts and runs... call it what you like... it's running, it fired up, etc.

So It started up and ran... Sweet. If it didn't start again, i'd double check you BAS bypass.

Do you have oil and coolant in the bike? If so, then next time you get it to start, let it run for a while to kind of clean everything out. 5-10 min...

It may have fouled plugs but that's about $75 to change. These aren't $5 plugs from wal-mart. One thing that helps start a flooded bike is to start it while holding the throttle all the way open... but let off when it starts, don't rev to 15K.

Give this a try and let us know.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Before we go on, we need to get a few terms to mean the same thing for all of us

Crank or cranking means that the starter motor is turning the engine...It doesn't mean that the motor is running though. It just means that pushing the starter button, the starter is working properly.

If the motor starts and runs... call it what you like... it's running, it fired up, etc.

So It started up and ran... Sweet. If it didn't start again, i'd double check you BAS bypass.

Do you have oil and coolant in the bike? If so, then next time you get it to start, let it run for a while to kind of clean everything out. 5-10 min...

It may have fouled plugs but that's about $75 to change. These aren't $5 plugs from wal-mart. One thing that helps start a flooded bike is to start it while holding the throttle all the way open... but let off when it starts, don't rev to 15K.

Give this a try and let us know.
Thanks for your help. Im not new to bikes. I have been riding my kawasaki 600 for a few years this is just my first honda and first bike that im rebuilding. Im an automechanic so im working on it when I get time at the shop. Sorry for not being clear on my wording before. It cranked and ran for a minute before I shut it off and now its not starting again. Its "cranking" and not running now. Im gonna start by putting some gas in the bike. Might be too low. It has oil and coolant in it so if I get it started again im gonna run it for a while. I may do new plugs anyways just to do them. Cant hurt anything.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Ok so it hasnt run since the first time I jumped the sensor. I ran it for a minute and revved it a few times then shut it off and now it wont run again. You can tell its trying to run though. Kinna sounds like it is bogging or something. Fuel pump primes. Guages turn on. Could the plugs be wet? Im stumped.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
World Superbike Racer

did you try throttle wide open? If so, then I guess change the plugs...

One more thing. I just thought of it but would have been helpful earlier so forgive me but If you bypass the BAS... you have to turn the bike off then back on for it to start. Once it thinks the bike fell over, it won't just start up again. Turning it off resets it. so If you bypass it with the bike on or just wiggle the wires... turn it off then on Hope this helpes.

Last edited by dcope17; 01-14-2009 at 04:42 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
zachattack15...send me a pm with your e-mail I have the workshop manual for the 03 rr in pdf (all 500 pages of it) I'll shoot it right out to ya!

I'm also havig the same problem....although al the plugs and bells and whistles are connected. Most probably I'll haul it to a shop.

Last edited by PRCBR; 01-14-2009 at 04:52 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

UPDATE!!!

I got it running!!!! Pulled the plugs and cleaned them (I have a spark plug cleaner tool at my shop) Started up and is running good. Idles fine and all. One thing though. Its running RICH! Its shooting flames!!! Alot of flames!! Any reason for this?

Thanks to everyone who is helping!!! You guys are awsome!!!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:28 PM
World Superbike Racer

There is a sensor in the airbox that senses air pressure and adjusts fuel air mixture accordingly. At least to some degree... Make sure that is plugged in.

The throttle position sensor needs to be plugged in also. That's on the left side of the throttle bodies.

I guess a bad fuel injector can make it do that. Or something else maybe.

Now that you know that it runs... it's really time to get everything together before trying to troubleshoot problems that might be fixed when everything is on and working. At least you know it's worth fixing.

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
There is a sensor in the airbox that senses air pressure and adjusts fuel air mixture accordingly. At least to some degree... Make sure that is plugged in.

The throttle position sensor needs to be plugged in also. That's on the left side of the throttle bodies.

I guess a bad fuel injector can make it do that. Or something else maybe.

Now that you know that it runs... it's really time to get everything together before trying to troubleshoot problems that might be fixed when everything is on and working. At least you know it's worth fixing.

The TPS sensor is plugged in. Ill have to check on the on in the airbox.

And I agree now that its running it is time to start getting it all back together.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So I found a nice hole in the hose going to the sensor on the side of the airbox. Replaced the hose and no more running rich! Runs good now. Today I put the front wheel back on and hooked up my clutch cable. Clutch cable is a little stiff I think it may have a kink in it. Will have to look into that. Now I need to get the brakes sorted out and it will be rideable. (atleast around the parking lot at my shop.)

Im still needing headlights, plastics, and a new guage cluster. The front wheel has a little bend in it and wasnt holding air but I beat it a little and it holds. Probably gonna need to get a new one anyways.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So a question about lining up the front end. I have the front wheel on but didnt tight anything down yet. Does it all straighten out on its own or am I going to need to do something so that the forks and everything line up correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page