my 03rr won't start - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
my 03rr won't start

i was riding home from school, gas was low (as in the last bar was blinking). stopped and shut off the bike (perhaps i shouldnt have done that) in a parking lot, and when i tried to start it up again, it just wouldnt start. the gauge cluster practically shuts off when i try to start it. i though it was because i was low on gas, so i pushed it across the street to the gas station, filled up, and still wouldnt start. it does kick start, so i was able to leave the station. the idle seemed a little abnormal but im not sure if it was like that before or not. i did notice on the way out that nothing was displayed on the gauge cluster for a moment, and that happened every once in a while. on the way to my gf's place to drop her off, i stalled off of a light, tried the starter button and it didnt work, same dimming gauges, but i could kick start it and the gauge cluster didnt seem to have a problem after that. dropped off the gf, went home, and parked it safely in my garage. this is the first time its happened to me w/ this bike. it doesn't seem to have a dying problem, just a starting problem. questions, comments, suggestions? thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
I AM The Righty

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
if this is still your original battery - it needs to be replaced.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

found another battery and put it in, it starts. shoulda tried that first! but i was just worried because the gauge cluster was acting funny. hopefully that problem will be fixed as well!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The cluster acts funny cause it needs power to work... Your batt will show 12V when there is little or no load on it... when you push the start button and there's not enough power to run the starter the voltage drops to like 3V or something depending on how bad the battery is. ... the cluster needs more than 3V to properly work so it starts acting weird.

If your bike does this again soon like within a few rides or so... then something is wrong with your charging system.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

thanks! that much i figured, but what bugged me was why it was acting funny even once i had it running by kick starting it?

anyway, it seemed fine all day today, and then just now it had like a small hiccup starting but it did start up. charging system could def be an issue :( is it all possible that the starter itself is bad?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 01:08 AM
World Superbike Racer

If the starter was bad... the gauges would never have acted up

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

ahh i see okay cool. how much does it cost to fix something like this? :(
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

ok so based on dcope's recommendation, i checked out the battery/charging system based on the 03-04 service manual. i went through the troubleshooting steps on page 466 of the PDF (page 17-4 of the manual itself)

1. i dont have either of those battery testers so i skipped it and went to step 2.

2. current leakage appears to be about .5 or .6mA which is way under the 2mA lmited so i skipped step 3.

4. alternator charging coil was about .5 or .6 ohms so that should mean the stators ok right?

5. charging voltage procedure on page 471 of the pdf (17-9 in the book)...
- (17-5) they say the battery voltage should be 13.0 to 13.2V. using a dmm i got the battery voltage to be 12.04ish.
- (17-9) they say warm the engine to normal operating temp, so i started it up and warmed to about 175 degrees. then check the reading, i got like 11.6ish. says to shut the motor off then turn back on w the hi-beam on and rev to 5k rpm and measure again, i got 12.4ish.
- Standard: Measured battery voltage (17-5) < Measured Charging voltage (17-9) < 15.5 at 5k rpm. i got 12.04 > 11.6 < 12.4 o_O

according to the book, i have a faulty battery...which i find weird bc the bike im borrowing a battery from right now didnt seem to have any problems, and this is a different battery from the original where i had the problem...

comments? questions? feedback? am i just unlucky and happen to have 2 batteries in a row? something im missing? thanks!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

also, i just swapped out the regulator for one from an 05 just in case. i assumed itd work fine, i could swap it back if there will be any issues?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 12:07 AM
World Superbike Racer

Honda's method of saying you have a bad battery is that if you check it regularly... you should never be stranded.

My method is run it till it dies then replace it.

Trickle charge your battery overnight and see if it will start the bike in the morning. If it does.. then it is good enough. ( I mean start it strong... not a weak sounding starter but just barely start it kind of thing. )

If the battery does work... then you have a bad charging system. Most likely the voltage regulator but there are ways of checking all that.

First things first... lets start with a working and charged battery.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

did that this morning. i charged it up full, starts just fine in the morning, and by the time i get home at the end of the day it seems to start to have to work a little bit. i swapped out the regulator so i hope that fixes the problem.. changing the stator seems like a bit more work :P i'll try to keep this updated. thanks for your replies!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
World Superbike Racer

Sounds like you're on the right track.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsi View Post
ok so based on dcope's recommendation, i checked out the battery/charging system based on the 03-04 service manual. i went through the troubleshooting steps on page 466 of the PDF (page 17-4 of the manual itself)

1. i dont have either of those battery testers so i skipped it and went to step 2.

2. current leakage appears to be about .5 or .6mA which is way under the 2mA lmited so i skipped step 3.

4. alternator charging coil was about .5 or .6 ohms so that should mean the stators ok right?

5. charging voltage procedure on page 471 of the pdf (17-9 in the book)...
- (17-5) they say the battery voltage should be 13.0 to 13.2V. using a dmm i got the battery voltage to be 12.04ish.
- (17-9) they say warm the engine to normal operating temp, so i started it up and warmed to about 175 degrees. then check the reading, i got like 11.6ish. says to shut the motor off then turn back on w the hi-beam on and rev to 5k rpm and measure again, i got 12.4ish.
- Standard: Measured battery voltage (17-5) < Measured Charging voltage (17-9) < 15.5 at 5k rpm. i got 12.04 > 11.6 < 12.4 o_O

according to the book, i have a faulty battery...which i find weird bc the bike im borrowing a battery from right now didnt seem to have any problems, and this is a different battery from the original where i had the problem...

comments? questions? feedback? am i just unlucky and happen to have 2 batteries in a row? something im missing? thanks!!

You seem to have done all the right things...i was going to suggest checking the VR, but you already replaced it. Yes the 03-06 uses the same VR so you wont have any problems with that. The stator could be in good working order and the VR goes caput causing the battery to fry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page