bike won't start (05 600rr) - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bike won't start (05 600rr)

so starting in december, my bike would start acting up and decided not to start a few times. everytime i went somewhere and made a pit stop, like the gas station, for a short period of time and crank it back up, it wouldn't start. the first couple of times it would start right back up after the second or third time i cranked it, but now it wouldn't even start after trying to crank it up a few times. i've jump started it a few times and after doing that, the bike would be fine. but then when i left my bike sitting for a few days, it wouldn't start anymore. so, i got frustrated and decided not to ride it anymore because i'm afraid of getting stranded, and also i don't think it's good for the bike to keep jumping it everytime i go somewhere.

whenever i jump started it, i just hooked up the cable and the bike started up right away like 3 seconds or so after hooking up the cables.

i changed the battery and the stator about a year ago, so i don't think that could be it. i'm going to change my oil so there's no humidity in the stator, but i don't know if that could be it either. maybe bad wiring?

well any help or pointers would be great. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump come on?? My bike did the same thing for a while and then just wouldn't start at all and the fuel pump relay crapped out. Check for that. The only thing that has me confused is why it starts when you jump it.

'03 Red RR. Yosh pipe, FE, Hotbodies Flushmounts, Integrated Tail (SOLD)
'05 Black RR - Rebuild done, ready to ride!! (SOLD)
'06 Red RR - Jardine RT1, CA Tail, PCIII, CRG Shorty's, R1 Calipers, 330mm Rotors, All Powdercoated!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If jumping it gets it running... then your battery is dead. So the problem is either the battery of the charging system.

Trickle charge your battery overnight and try to start it in the morning. If it starts right up... then your battery is fine and something is wrong in the charging system.

If it doesn't start... then your battery is junk however you still might have something wrong with your charging system.

Draining your battery completely will ruin it. You can ruin an old battery by draining it once but a new battery can take it a few times (literally 2 or 3 times) before it's junk.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:38 PM

My 05 600RR is doing something of the same... I can start it up and let it run til it warms and then shut it off and it wont restart, but if i wait till the bike cools down then it will start up. It will start off a jump at anytime, but if the bike is warm or been ridden it will not restart until it cools down? Ive replaced the battery and it still does it... Any ideas?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Sounds similar to a problem I had with my 03. I recommend you borrow a Multi tester and grab your manual and test your charging system. Batt, regulator, and stator.

Go from there, process of elimination my friend

CAPTIVE SPACERS ARE SOLD OUT...Again

Neek - SMUSA #143
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsane Motorsports View Post
My 05 600RR is doing something of the same... I can start it up and let it run til it warms and then shut it off and it wont restart, but if i wait till the bike cools down then it will start up. It will start off a jump at anytime, but if the bike is warm or been ridden it will not restart until it cools down? Ive replaced the battery and it still does it... Any ideas?
Charging system... If your battery has a full charge but is not getting recharged while riding it... it will eventually die.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 PM

starting problem

I had the same issue with my bike and I booked it in at honda, they found that the battery was knackered because the bike was fine until the fan kicked in, once the fan was running it was using what was left in the battery there for killing it completley. I bumped it and it was fine but everytime I left the engine run once the fan kicked in again it died

I rec,mend buying anew battery
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 PM

If you have had the battery only a year and are having these problems...it means you need to do three things.

buy a new battery
check the charging system
RIDE MORE!

a lot of people have this happen when they don't ride on a regular basis. The battery will drain down in a few weeks of not riding, it its started and runs only a short while, or kept below 5k rpm then the charging system doesnt have adequate time to recharge the battery-thus draining it further when other electrics are used, ie. the fan or if you stop and try to restart. riding more or having a trickle charger will help this alot.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrider64 View Post
If you have had the battery only a year and are having these problems...it means you need to do three things.

buy a new battery
check the charging system
RIDE MORE!

a lot of people have this happen when they don't ride on a regular basis. The battery will drain down in a few weeks of not riding, it its started and runs only a short while, or kept below 5k rpm then the charging system doesnt have adequate time to recharge the battery-thus draining it further when other electrics are used, ie. the fan or if you stop and try to restart. riding more or having a trickle charger will help this alot.
sorry it took so long to reply. i don't have time to go online that often.

i ride daily though. it's rare for me to ever go anywhere without my bike. i do need to check the charging system though. the only thing i did so far is charge my battery and change my oil. as for now it's running, but i haven't taken it out yet because i'm still afraid of it dying on me when i stop for a little bit.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsane Motorsports View Post
that's exactly what's happening to my bike...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 PM
World Superbike Racer

Charging system... you have a good battery but when it runs out of juice... that's what you get. The reason it will start when it has cooled off... the motor has less compression when it is cool so it is easier to turn over.

I wouldn't ride till you figure out what's wrong and fix it... draining a bettery untill it's dead is harmful and will only happen a few times before ruining the battery too.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
Charging system... you have a good battery but when it runs out of juice... that's what you get. The reason it will start when it has cooled off... the motor has less compression when it is cool so it is easier to turn over.

I wouldn't ride till you figure out what's wrong and fix it... draining a bettery untill it's dead is harmful and will only happen a few times before ruining the battery too.
i guess i'll just take it to honda then. thanks guys
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 12:05 PM
World Superbike Racer

Do you have an ohm meter? . You can check everything out and then get the parts off of Ebay or something.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

so the guy at honda said that my hids could be the problem. is there anybody here that has a solution to this? i don't want to get rid of my hids but if there's no solution i'll just have to get rid of them
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Knee Dragger

Make sure your HID's a wired correctly what brand do you have do you have a legit brand or some BOBO's off ebay
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Make sure you have the HID's appropriately wired - one additional thought for you, it didn't happen often on the 06s and late 05s but it did happen 03-early 05: the reg/rectifier cooks, symptom is it starts when cold doesn't start when hot, eventually kills the battery (as the stator charge starts getting regulated out by the heat, solution is generally to swap out to the late 05-06 reg/rectifier - had to do that on my 03, have your Honda guy check the unit on your bike when it's HOT and see what's coming out of it
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilkinson3 View Post
Make sure you have the HID's appropriately wired - one additional thought for you, it didn't happen often on the 06s and late 05s but it did happen 03-early 05: the reg/rectifier cooks, symptom is it starts when cold doesn't start when hot, eventually kills the battery (as the stator charge starts getting regulated out by the heat, solution is generally to swap out to the late 05-06 reg/rectifier - had to do that on my 03, have your Honda guy check the unit on your bike when it's HOT and see what's coming out of it
that sounds like what my bike is doing. i'll have them look at that thanks.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Knee Dragger

I was going to ask about what type of lights are you running. I am using the oem lights but I almost always ride with my high beams on (better vis, doesnt look like a 1 eyed alien). I have to remember to shut off my high beams a few minutes before I stop my ride so I can build a charge back up on my battery. Have to do the same thing with heated grips as alot of times the juice runs too low for me to start.

- 2005 Red/Black 600RR
PC3 USB
Two Brothers M5 CF exhaust
K&N air filter
Dyno-tuned
Custom seats
Puig DB windscreen
Greg's Customs turn signals
CA Smoked Integrated Tail Light
Black PC'd rear pegs + Tripage LED
Pazzo Levers - short Red/Black
Red EKMVZ 520 chain
Driven sprockets (-1/+1)
Speedo-healer
Red rim tape
Frame bolt plugs
Mesh vent mod
Heated grips
Pirelli Corsa 3's

Electric Vehicle (EV) Infrastructure Implementation Experts- http://www.ecosparktech.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page