2008 600RR won't start - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 600RR won't start

My bike is bone stock with roughly 2k on the clock. I haven't ridden it in 3 weeks due to the weather. I didn't think it would be this cold for this long so I never got around to winterizing it. It was 55 out today so I thought I'd ride to work but my bike would not start.

All the usual lights come on after turning the key and setting the ignition to on. When I hit start, it cranks and every once in a while I'll get a little sputter as if it was just about to fire up and then nothing. I read somewhere to pin the throttle back while hitting start to prevent flooding in case that was the problem but that did not seem to work either. After a dozen or so attempts, my battery finally died.

Any guesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Demented

My guess is the battery. Since it's already dead now, just put it on a tender and try starting when it's fully charged.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 05:20 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd start with what D said ^^. if that doesn't work... let us know.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

i don't have a battery tender. any recommendations? i saw a few at WalMart from Schumacher but never heard of them...
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Demented

Any tender would work fine.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Street BOTM Winner 10/11

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
i just got a cheap battery float from harbor freight tools for $7.00. i had the same thing happen to my bike. after trouble shooting it, i finally jumped it off my wife's car. it took a while to get her started, but she finally did. i had to hold the start button down while mess with the throttle. it took a few tries but she did start. good luck, and keep us posted.

R.I.P SPC Dylan Reid 03SEP1986-16OCT2010.
R.I.P. Phatstud 05/08/1980-10/19/2010.
R.I.P Marco Simoncelli #58 20JAN1987-23OCT2011
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I bought a charger and charged my battery overnight. I tried starting her up again today and now I don't even get the sputter. It sounds like when you hit start but forget to switch the ignition cutoff to the on position.

I know I'm not giving you guys much to go on here... I'm just trying to avoid a trip to the dealership, especially since I don't have a truck or trailer. Having to pay for a tow on top of service just sucks.

Thanks in advance, guys!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:39 PM
T. BOTM Winner 10/11 Super Female Moderator

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
mine does that. do you use the kill switch to turn it off ever? whenever i've used it it always takes a while to turn it back on. all the lights turn on and everything but the fuel pump doesn't prime. it's like the switch is stuck. just keep trying it and listen for the fuel pump, it should eventually turn back on. maybe hit the switch a few times.

2007 CBR600rr Track Whore
2012 CBR600rr Street Slut
2008 BMW Z4M Daily Driver
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport 6 Speed Garage Queen

RIP Chenhan, you are missed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatstud View Post
You little shiit! Haha
Next time I'm not shopping Hello Kitty with ya bwaahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidnightproject View Post
This song didn't help me poop at all!
2W1R
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

the fuel pump primes every time i hit the kill switch.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 PM
World Superbike Racer

Do you smell fuel after trying to start it?

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yes, I smell fuel after trying to start it.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 PM
World Superbike Racer

Then it is the plugs or something like that. Pull out a plug and see if it is sparking. You have to ground it to the motor to get it to work... don't hold it to the motor with your hand though.

If no spark... check the wiring connections.

If it does spark.. it must be too weak... I'd replace the plugs.

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Knee Dragger

You can jump the bike with a car...no need to waste money n get the battery charger/tenderizer.......try shacking the bike....yeah that's right shake it! it will def. help move the fluids specially if the bike has been sitting for a while...i have an 08rr as well and had this issue....shaking and trying to start a couple of times did the trick....I know shaking it sounds crazy but it worked for me.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
World Superbike Racer

^^^ dude are you seroius??? Through the process of elimination... we have found that there is something wrong with the spark... and you're gonna come in here and tell him to jump start his bike and shake it...

If you "fixed" your bike by shaking it... Then you didn't fix anything. How hard did you shake it? This bike is 400 lbs and lets say that you're 200lbs... you can't shake it. What did you do... run it down the stairs?

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
World Superbike Racer

Also still may be flooded. If you take your plugs out... crank it and see if it spits out some fuel out of the spark plug holes. If it does... then it is definately flooded. Maybe leave the plugs out and shoot some compressed air into each cylinder. Just to make sure.

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Pocketbike Racer

dcope, don't get all pissed off at BLKCBR when he's trying to suggest something. Your conclusion on what's wrong with the bike might not necessarily be right either. You can definitely do a little "shaking" to the bike, it's not that heavy.

I had somewhat of the same problem with my 08 600RR a couple weeks ago. I was riding my bike to my apartment door, stalled it while making a really tight right hander, and couldn't start it up again. Turned out the engine was flooded. My bike had also been sitting for a while although I had taken it out a couple times here and there. If you can get it back to where it was almost turning over again, fiddle with the throttle and there is a chance it'll finally catch. That's what the mechanic at my dealership did and it worked.

However, seeing as how you charged the battery and there are no sounds, I'm not sure if that will work.

2008 Honda CBR600RR red/black
Intuitive Race frame sliders, Two Brothers CF exhaust, BikeLitez flushmount turn signals
2005 Kawi 636 - sold
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
World Superbike Racer

^^ you're right... it's been a rough day...well month really. and I have had some suggestions that, I'm sure, sounded pretty dumb to others too.

So, I apologize blkcbr... Don't stop posting stuff cause of my reaction.

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

The funny thing is, I tried shaking it before I even read his post. That didn't work either. I'll try to get to the plugs when it warms up a bit. It's way to cold to ride anyway. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll let you know when I get a chance to check the plugs.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM

its possible the battery is beyond the point of recharging.

i might have been misreading this, but now...after buying the charger and trying to charge it...you say its not even doing the sputter. does the starter motor turn? or is there nothing happening at all?

if the starter motor turns then, yeah, check the plugs to see if they're fouled and the cylinders are flooded.

if the starter motor does nothing and when you hit the ignition button nothing happens other than you cursing at the bike gods...chances are the battery didnt hold the charge because its dead and you need a new one.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:18 PM
World Superbike Racer

I have take him to mean that it used to sound like it wanted to fire but now it doesn't sound like it wants to start... meaning that the starter is spinning the motor but just no fire.

If that's wrong kirby then correct me.

Also.. .the more I think about it... the more I'm leaning towards the bike being flooded. I'm betting that if you took the plugs out and shot some air into the cylinder ( with an air gun and a long enough nossle to reach through the spark plug holes)... that you'd get a spray of fuel out of it.

post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Flooded sounds right:

Idea: have you tried rolling it down a hill to start it (with you one it obviously)? Maybe there is something wrong with the starter, or the battery is beyond repair. If so, it should start with a rolling start approach.

www.LMGTFY.com --> give it a try before you ask

Thanks for driving that hybrid...and saving all the gas for me!
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i dont know what is is about the 07 08 cbr but if i dont start mine for a few weeks its really hard to start .. try cracking the throttle partly and crank till it fires up it will after 15 20 seconds you can smell its flooded it will smoke a little and miss after a few seconds it will smooth out .. since this happend to me a few times i go out at least twice a week start her up and let her warm up no more problems anymore .. i dunno what it is but sitting seems to make them harder to start .. my 03 never did this .. somthing with the 07 08 .. mabey higher compression i dunno exactly but if u crack the throttle just a little it will start . then just start it once a week or so ..

07 600rr pearl white (sold)
07 s2000 232whp white (sold)
05 4runner black (sold )
98 prelude 287whp na (sold)
09 civic si 236whp taffy white (sold)
06 civic si cp black ( current daily )
13 cbr1000rr red (current project )
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermoose1 View Post
Flooded sounds right:

Idea: have you tried rolling it down a hill to start it (with you one it obviously)? Maybe there is something wrong with the starter, or the battery is beyond repair. If so, it should start with a rolling start approach.
I was going to suggest this as well. If it's flooded there is a good change it won't start though. Me and 2 of my buddies tried to push start my bike with no luck when my bike was flooded.

I'd take your battery to Advanced Auto Parts or something and get them to test the battery.

Intuitive Race frame sliders, Two Brothers CF exhaust, BikeLitez flushmount turn signals
2005 Kawi 636 - sold
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I was able to fire her up the other day. The battery was not the issue. A buddy of mine who's ridden for years came over to see if he could get it started. I went through the normal startup procedure and that b*tch fired right up. It idled high and blew smoke for a while. He gave it gas and it died. We tried to fire it up right after it died but nothing. He tried a few more times, holding the start button down for 20 seconds or so, giving it gas whenever he thought it wanted it and it finally started. Now it runs normal. Go figure.

Now that it's running again, I guess I'll just start it every few days. The only thing I'm confused about is what went wrong exactly and if there's anything I can do to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks again, guys!
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Knee Dragger

Gas was most likely your issue if you were able to get it started without changing anything

depending on where you fill up (how busy the gas station is) sometimes gas has been sitting for a couple weeks when you go to put it in. then it sat for 3 more weeks in your tank. Gas goes bad after about 6 weeks of sitting. Next time you think it might sit just throw some sta-bil in there as a safety measure so you dont have to worry about it next time

2006 600rr Light Silver

Current Mods:
ASV Shorty Brake/Clutch levers
Afam 520 15/45 sprockets
DID Gold ERV3 Chain
Stompgrip Tank Pad
Red Progrip wheel tape
I-Win Integrated Tail light
Hot bodies front turn signals
Vortex frame sliders
Renthal Soft's
Removed heat shields
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
it was probably flooded. the best way to get it un flooded would be hit the kill switch to where it wont let the bike start (cuts fuel) turn it on and hold the starter for like you said 20 seconds at WOT. this should pump out any fuel left behind. after that you can try starting it.

either way you got it started .. good job and now you should start your bike once a week. i know i left mine off for like 2 or 3 weeks in the garage due to rain but mine started right up
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I was able to fire her up the other day. The battery was not the issue. A buddy of mine who's ridden for years came over to see if he could get it started. I went through the normal startup procedure and that b*tch fired right up. It idled high and blew smoke for a while. He gave it gas and it died. We tried to fire it up right after it died but nothing. He tried a few more times, holding the start button down for 20 seconds or so, giving it gas whenever he thought it wanted it and it finally started. Now it runs normal. Go figure.

Now that it's running again, I guess I'll just start it every few days. The only thing I'm confused about is what went wrong exactly and if there's anything I can do to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks again, guys!
Not that I'm some tech genius, but that's what I figured. Pretty much the exact thing that happened to my bike. That is literally how the mechanic at the dealer got mine to start.

2005 Kawi 636 - sold
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM
World Superbike Racer

Black smoke... flooded!

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I think the same thing is going on with my 06', it still wont start though and mine is a daily driver.

2006 CBR 600RR - Red/Black *StreetBike*
2003 CBR 600RR - All Black *Trackbike* SOLD
Orion Pit Bike *SOLD

05' CBR 600RR - Sold/Missed
WANTED!!! 08'+ 1KRR for sale White/Red or all Black
and....OHLINS FORKS/BREMBO BRAKES!!!
PARTS FOR SALE: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=204160
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Just a little on this..Yesterday I rode my bike about 25 miles to the dealership and picked up some chain lube and etc...The bike fired up just fine no issues. When I left I stopped for gas bc the light just came on and I was going to go for a little ride on my way back home. So, I stopped at the first station I came across...filled up.. got about 1/4 of a mile down the road and ....DEAD. The bike just stopped. Seemed to me like a short or some type of electrical. The dealership came and picked up the bike. They had it appart all day yesterday and found nothing really. They replaced the plugs and got it to fire up, but they said it was running horribly. I'm pretty sure the gas I put in from that station was S$^t. So..I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page