08 cbr600rr heating problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 cbr600rr heating problem

my bike overheated today it reached 244 degrees F! fans not turning on! anybody knows if that tempeture will cause head gaskets to melt or cause engine damage? also any troble shoots on how to see whats the problem?

thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g37smike View Post
my bike overheated today it reached 244 degrees F! fans not turning on! anybody knows if that tempeture will cause head gaskets to melt or cause engine damage? also any troble shoots on how to see whats the problem?

thanx!
You should be more specific to the circumstances of it overheating. Im sure it would help people out alot. Were you on the track, or just sitting in heavy traffic or what? How fast were you going when you noticed?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
If your bike reached that temp and you were riding at speed there are issues somewhere (waterpump) but if it was alot of stop and go, slow moving, and the fact that your fan didnt kick on its probably a fan relay or a thermostat. I'd start with figuring out why the fan didnt kick on, so check the fan relay.. just unplug the fan and jump some juice from a 12 volt battery into the fan and see if it works. If it does, swap relays... if it does not, your fan is probably junk, buy a new fan. Just work from there.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

I was in the highway at like 9k rpms when I saw 240 ish, i turned the bike off and started crussing with the engine off but that did not help the temp for nothing. but when i started back the bike the temp went down, and if I reved the bike the temp lowerd for a moment. after that i just started going like 3k rpm back home turning the bike off whenever I could.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

My bike heats up pretty high all the time (when I sit in traffic) to but I have 17,XXX miles on mine. I figure it would be my thermo or pump. IMO your fan really has no job if your on the highway! Check for leaks! check coolant level, could be an air bubble!

My Wives________
2001 Trans Am WS6
2004 CBR 600RR (SOLD)
2005 R1 RAVEN
www.r1-forum.com - Stank Juic3
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/ - Stank Juic3
"The R1 is Madness"

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Pocketbike Racer

good luck, let us know

Take it to the dealer and request an inspection due to factory flaw or something. If you don't have any modifictions to it they shouldn't give you a bill. Have a look at the factory warranty first. I wouldn't assume you know what you are doing so I'd have it looked at by a shop just for my own piece of mind if I were you.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Well let me just say this bike has hit the ground like everyday! its a stunt bike the engine was cracked, and i welded the block and its working like a charm, but with this last droped the bike is overheating, So i have to fix it up my self because there is no sush thing as warantie for me....
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique RR View Post
My bike heats up pretty high all the time (when I sit in traffic) to but I have 17,XXX miles on mine. I figure it would be my thermo or pump. IMO your fan really has no job if your on the highway! Check for leaks! check coolant level, could be an air bubble!

what is the best way to get the air bubble out?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Well let me just say this bike has hit the ground like everyday! its a stunt bike the engine was cracked, and i welded the block and its working like a charm, but with this last droped the bike is overheating, So i have to fix it up my self because there is no sush thing as warantie for me....
well since you screwed yourself there,

make sure the fan relay kicks on.
make sure that it even has water in it.
make sure the water pump works

chances are dropping it might have crushed a water neck
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check the coolant line under the right mid fairing. It is an aluminum tube and you may have smashed it. There is also one that runs in front of the motor by the radiator.

just like RShackleford said. make sure water is in it and my next guess is the water pump. You're not getting coolant flow for some reason cause you bike should not be that hot while it's moving at highway speed.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

well all my relays are working! i took the radiator out, and the fan works when i connect it to 12 volt power, any idea on how to check the water pump what can i do to test it? i am learning as i go!

thanx.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
World Superbike Racer

My best advice. get the shop manual. Your bike is going to take a beating cause of what you're doing with it. So, this isn't going to be the only thing you'll ever need to fix it. It's $60 and goes step by step and includes pics of everything to check the pump. (everything on your bike for that matter)

www.helminc.com

Redneck way of checking. Pull off all the hoses that connect to the water pump. Start the bike, ( it will run for a little while w/o water before overheating) Pour water in one of the holes and if water shoots out another one... it's pumping.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
My best advice. get the shop manual. Your bike is going to take a beating cause of what you're doing with it. So, this isn't going to be the only thing you'll ever need to fix it. It's $60 and goes step by step and includes pics of everything to check the pump. (everything on your bike for that matter)

www.helminc.com

Redneck way of checking. Pull off all the hoses that connect to the water pump. Start the bike, ( it will run for a little while w/o water before overheating) Pour water in one of the holes and if water shoots out another one... it's pumping.

thanx i love Redneck way of checking!!!! thanx! i will try that! another question guys, how do you check for the thermostat?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

dude- just start with burping your system and making sure it's topped off. then, go from there. the air could've been created during one of your drops. also, make sure nothing is restricting your fan's propellars like a heat shield or if it's rubbing against your valve cover or something. it may be trying to spin, but something is blocking it.

BTW, dropping an '08 cbr600rr everyday is really sad to hear. why not get an older, less technologically advanced, less EXPENSIVE bike to beat on?

2004 Honda CBR600RR
-Spiegler SS lines f+r
-Woodcraft rearsets
-Woodcraft Clip-Ons
-GPR Steering Damper
-Vesrah RJL brake pads
-Elka 3-Way Shock
-CRG gold levers
-Leo Vince Full Exhaust
-PCIII
-green painted rims
-puig d-bubble screen
-Pro-impact Frame sliders
-EK MVXZ 520 green chain w/ Pit bull sprockets (-1/+1)
- .9 kg/mm constant-rate fork springs +re-valving
-Tanktredz

Last edited by Dr. GoFast; 02-09-2009 at 06:46 PM.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. GoFast View Post
dude- just start with burping your system and making sure it's topped off. then, go from there. the air could've been created during one of your drops. also, make sure nothing is restricting your fan's propellars like a heat shield or if it's rubbing against your valve cover or something. it may be trying to spin, but something is blocking it.

BTW, dropping an '08 cbr600rr everyday is really sad to hear. why not get an older, less technologically advanced, less EXPENSIVE bike to beat on?

well it has gone to the ground 3 times hard. usually the drops i get are just fairing damage! and i have a spray painted ghetto fairing to drop it. but this time my amvition was grater than my skills i learned that quick!
reasson this is a stunt bike is that i crashed this bike hard while riding, for being a noob and now I rather stunt than go fast were everybody is out there to kill you.... at least for now besides my block is welded so I am scared that my engine will crack again trowing a bunch of oil to my wheel and kill myself.

Last edited by g37smike; 02-09-2009 at 08:00 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Check the pipe near the rad cap like said above.. I've pinched those in some low sides on the race bikes.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Helloooo looks like i solve the problem, after doing the redneck testing od the water pump I saw it was working. So then i proceded to do the Redneck way to fix the thermostat. I just took it off. I did a quick ride and everything seemed okay, runnig a bit colder! at about 155 degrees. Tomorrow i will take a longer drive.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
well it has gone to the ground 3 times hard. usually the drops i get are just fairing damage! and i have a spray painted ghetto fairing to drop it. but this time my amvition was grater than my skills i learned that quick!
reasson this is a stunt bike is that i crashed this bike hard while riding, for being a noob and now I rather stunt than go fast were everybody is out there to kill you.... at least for now besides my block is welded so I am scared that my engine will crack again trowing a bunch of oil to my wheel and kill myself.

ok, makes sense. have fun and good luck with the overheating prob! i'm sure it's something simple.

2004 Honda CBR600RR
-Spiegler SS lines f+r
-Woodcraft rearsets
-Woodcraft Clip-Ons
-GPR Steering Damper
-Vesrah RJL brake pads
-Elka 3-Way Shock
-CRG gold levers
-Leo Vince Full Exhaust
-PCIII
-green painted rims
-puig d-bubble screen
-Pro-impact Frame sliders
-EK MVXZ 520 green chain w/ Pit bull sprockets (-1/+1)
- .9 kg/mm constant-rate fork springs +re-valving
-Tanktredz
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 04:38 PM
World Superbike Racer

If it's running cold now w/o the thermostat... then that's what it was. I'd install a new one before going on a longer ride. only cause the ECU will see a cold motor and keep the fuel mixture rich. Probably no big deal but I think you found the problem so I'd go ahead and fix it.

Just to know more... did the thermostat get damaged from a crash or was it just broke. I have never heard of a thermostat going bad on one of these. I'm just curious.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Just run it.. we run all of our race bikes with no thermostat.. just let it warm up. As far as I know the engine does not run any different regarding temp.. I could be wrong though as it's been awhile since I've read up on it.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

you know after the crash I dont know if the thermostat was bad, but after i change all the bad parts on it i took it for a ride and it started overheating and the fan always off. The fan is working but the bike doesent turn it on. I saw a elctrical conection to the thermostat maybe when i was building the bike i had a short circuit and thats why the thermostat is close and the fan is off. I have no iiea how the thermostat works. i am just a brave man that is not afraid to figure things out,lol. But the thermostat is under the fuel thank there is no way the hit got to the thermostat.

and btw my bike now runs right under 150 degrees F today was a cold noght so it was just below 140...
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
World Superbike Racer

You.re right I forgot that the thermostat was tucked in.

How it works... it's not electrical. I can't say for sure... but when the coolant gets to a certain temp... somehow the thermostat opens up and lets coolant flow. I don't know how the thermo. knows the temp but it does.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

in most cars. theres two sensors for temp. one is for the gauge to read and another one for the ecu. i would check your owners manual and make sure the temp sensor wires to the ecu are good. since this is what turns on your fan.

since your fan does work. it seems like something is not seeing the increase in temp or could just be a relay.

also you took it all apart. make sure you know how to bleed all the air out as well
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 04:10 AM

hey u guys i have the same problem in my 08 600rr and i will try my best to fix it but the last time i start it it get to 200 and that was like 5 mint after it start can anyone tall me what's going on thanks
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

well check to see if at like 217 degrees the electrical fan turns on! let me know!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 02:51 AM

yap it did thanks but it was in 220
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

okay, so at what temp is the bike runing consistant in? yea the fan turns on at about that temp. it is normal to have it like up to like 222 degrees when stoped,and riding at about 177ish! Iss that the temp your bike runs in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page