Plastic melted to header pipes... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Plastic melted to header pipes...

I put down the RR a few weeks ago on the left side. It was low speed making a left hand turn from a dead stop. It was 9 degrees out and the cold tires got me. I picked the bike up and rode the rest of the way home but started smelling something burning. I was less than a mile away so I continued on. I thought it maybe was some oil or something that had leaked out when I went down. When I took my fairings off I discovered that my Throttle Rocker had slipped off and fallen against the header pipes and melted. I was able to pull a big chunk of it off but some still remains and it is plastered on pretty hard. I know I can start the bike, let it get hot again and try to wipe it off. Are there any other things I should try? Am I ok just leaving it and letting it burn off over time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i think theres a product for getting crap off headers... I remember seeing a demo of it at a cruisers show but dont remember the name. it got melted boot and other crap right of the pipes.

last year I had a friend that a mix of plastic/rubber/etc melted onto his pipes and he used a heat gun to heat up only that area with the junk and then scraped (more like scooped) then cleaned the stuff off.
^If you have a heat gun or know someone with one I would do this instead of running the motor until it heats up.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have access to a heat gun and will give that a try, but if you or anyone else happen to remember the name of that product please post because I am interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page