relays and fuses and a non running bike - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
relays and fuses and a non running bike

ok, heres the problem. my bike doesnt run. and i refuse to give in yet to a over paid mechanic. my clock comes on and shows the high beam when i turn on the high beams. but it does not prime and the tach doesnt max out and come back down, or anything else, no speedo no nothin. i thought at first that the bas may be faultly or need reset, but now i dont think thats is. i just found today that my fuel cut relay and my fan control relay are not there. and when i try to fire the bike anyway without these relays im also blowing my 10 amp neutral, oil, temp, tach, speedo, position, meter light, tail fuse. so heres my question. if i replace the relays and fuse which i will anyway will my bike run or is there other known knowledge that i dont know yet? if anyone has any clue what im getting into please give me a shout. i really really really dont want to take this think to a over paid honda tech. im a mechanic in the army (not the most praised mechanic's but i have a good idea what i am capable of) and should be able to knock this out on my own. so again, if you have any knowledge please reply. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM

check for a wire that may be grounding out. trying to start it may be just enough to cause a problem
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

yeah, ok. im slowly digging through the mess. thanks. anyone else have any ideas? does anyone know how i can test the ecm like whether its good or bad or do i need some kind of rocket science testers from honda?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

anyone else have any info? can a short in the gauge cluster cause this confusion? let me know any ideas. thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unplug the cluster and see if it still blows the fuse. If it does... then it's not the cluster.

Is this a salvaged bike. Or a used one in bad shape? I only assume that cause you didn't know that relays were missing. I don't think that installing them would fix the problem.

My suggestion, get a wiring harness. Ebay or somewhere. If you don't know what has been done and parts are missing,,, The wiring on one of these bikes is pretty complex and I'd just start fresh than to try to fix who knows what someone else did.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Knee Dragger

Where did the relays disappear too? whats the whole story? I feel something is being left out because of course the bike wont run without the relay. I would start there first put the relays in and rplace the fuse and see if it pops. if it does then you have a short or a wire grounding out keep us updated
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

i dont remember the event, but i wrecked this bike into a covert. im assuming the relays were ripped out. i busted everypiece of plastic, split the subframe down the center, blew the battery to a bunch of pieces and bent the left fork. that was two years ago. i just recently got back from deployment, and now i have been spending my free time trying to get it back up. thats the whole story. and thanks for your guys input. i'll see what i can find.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Bleedin' Honda Red

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
imo get a new wiring harness and start from ground up

Rossi was born on Honda

08 CBR600rr
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

alright well this should keep me busy for a while. thanks. i'll keep you guys updated
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

yup, couldnt figure **** out still. so i found a local mom and pop shop that doesnt charge alot to trouble shoot. Soooo, does anyone know where I can get a upper cowl for cheap. My bike is black so if its the same color it would help, but I cant be to picky. Any help would be great.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so the shop found some loose grounds and all i needed was the 2 missing relays, and it fired up the first try. so what i thought was the problem was the problem all along. i should probally start to trust my instincts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page