After a winter of mods bikes wandering.... :( - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 49 reviews
After a winter of mods bikes wandering.... :(

Ok so I brought the ol bike outta hibernation today. WOOT WOOTTTT
But then alas riding it home from my buddies shop she would wander while trying to just go straight at slower speeds.
It seemed to not be as big of a factor once I sped up but felt really unstable when I slowed down again.
So here is a list of some of the things that have changed since last season.
Any ideas before I start taking things off to try and figure it out would be more then appreciated!

Used Scotts steering damper (set to 5 clicks from soft and I don't know when the last time it was serviced was)

1000rr rear shock (hasn't been setup to my weight or bike yet so I understand the more then strange handling the bike was giving me in turns but figure this wont have much to do with riding straight)

New chain and Sprockets (520 conversion -1/+2 I am pretty positive we lined up the rear tire straight but kinda wondering if that was a hair off if that would cause it?)

So thats about it on the things I did that I feel would possible cause this.
Thanks guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Bleedin' Honda Red

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i would take off the damper first and see if thats the problem. if it continues to do so then i would have the tire rebalanced (make sure there are no flat spots) and make sure it is aligned properly after install of the sprocket. i dont see how the rear shock would have anything to do with the problem.

Rossi was born on Honda

08 CBR600rr
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Did you adjust the chain before you went? the rear shock will make it feel weird but, i dont think it would make you feel unsafe. The damper may be the issue, i would bet its just some minor things. Something like your rear wheel wasnt straight... or tires were cold (its not super nice out yet haha)

-Shelby
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=124351

D3 Grips, O'Grady Paint, Powder coated everything, Custom LED switching, Tripage Third Eye, Custom LED Gauge Cluster, 6000K HID's, Integrated Mirrors with Signals, Integrated Signal/Brake light, Driven Sprocket Kit -1/+2, EK Chain 520 Pitch, PC3, Quickshift kit, Multi mapping touch screen, Block Off Plates, BCM Air Filter, DIY Short stack Air Mod, Speedohealer, Galfer Stainless Steel Brake lines, 450R mod, Yoshi pipe, Arrow Headers.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Hey man yeah my chain had the inch and a 1/4 slack like it should. I didn't check my tire pressure but it was 11c out today so not to cold of a day at all.

I think I'm going to try taking the damper off first and see if that does it.

Just would like to see if anyone else has noticed anything like that after putting a scotts on their bike?

If its not that then I'll take her down to the bike shop and have them setup the suspension for me and take a look at the alightment for me.
The tire has a good 60% tread on her and has been getting rolled in and out of the shop all winter as I've been working on it so I don't think there are any flat spots.

Thanks for the input guys and if any one else knows anything for me to look at I thank you in advance!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd look at the allignment, if it was an unballanced tyre it would get worse with speed. Same with the steering dampner, steering shake gets worse with speed so any issues in the dampner should get worse as you go quicker.

KORDO
'08 CBR600RR
- Puig light smoke double bubble, CRF 450 Mod w/ custom bracket, Sato Rearsets, Pazzo levers, Woodcraft Case Covers, oggy knobs, fork & swingarm sliders, PC'd gas cap, subframe and pillion pegs, garage door opener mod, gutted intake, stomp grips, caron Yosh RS-5 s/o
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

hey guys thanks for all the help.
I ended up taking the damper off and thats the prob :/
I think I just need to send it in to scotts to let them rebuild it and change the oil.
Ah well thats what you get for buying used... atleast I only paid $200 shipped for it with mounting hardware and its in mint shape on the outside :)
Thanks again!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Bleedin' Honda Red

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
glad you found the problem and it wasnt something worse. send the scotts in because they are worth it!

Rossi was born on Honda

08 CBR600rr
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
good to hear you found the problem... in he meantime i guess it'll have to be the HESD.

Would be interesting to see a comparison with the HESD set for manual operations (see alex's thread) compared to the scotts

KORDO
'08 CBR600RR
- Puig light smoke double bubble, CRF 450 Mod w/ custom bracket, Sato Rearsets, Pazzo levers, Woodcraft Case Covers, oggy knobs, fork & swingarm sliders, PC'd gas cap, subframe and pillion pegs, garage door opener mod, gutted intake, stomp grips, caron Yosh RS-5 s/o
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

I have an 05 man so no HESD for me :(
Just free turning and free wheelin till the scotts gets back! hehe

And thanks again everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page