High speed braking shake - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High speed braking shake

2003 Honda CBR600RR

When I'm going over 60 kmh and apply the front brakes the upper part of the bike shakes. Its almost as if something is lose. It seems to be coming from the part where the forks go into the frame, the steering stem.

Could it be the steering bearings are shot? How can I check it if they are. Anyone else ever had this problem.

Bike has 15 000 KM.

Last edited by Mr. X; 03-10-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:48 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
it could be that you rotors are bent!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
3 most likely causes. First, as already said, your rotors are warped. Second, your tire is old and is cupping. Third, your steering stem bearings are going bad.

Do you have a front stand? Get your front end off the ground and spin the tire. Do you notice the tire spins freely in part of the revolution but then really drags the brakes in another part of the rotation? Warped! You can also feel warped rotors when just braking slowly. I don't know how to quite explain it, but you can feel it in the handlebars and the brake lever.

Next, look at your tire. Spin it and run your hand lightly over the middle. Do you see or feel little bumps? When I say little they're usually about the size of a penny and will be separated evenly down the middle of the tire. Warped rotors will also make this happen even more, making your shaking even worse.

Lastly is your steering stem bearings. When they're really bad it's obvious. You can move the front end and feel the free play.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

tighten the steering stem...done

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Knee Dragger

If his problem is the steering stem bearings...sure, that will help. But that's probably the least likely cause. There would be other issues than just braking. He may not notice them, but there would be other problems as well associated with loose steering stem bearings.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:01 PM

what other problems are associated with bad/loose steering stem bearings?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone

I would like to know this too, because my front end is coming off next week, and would like to replace this too because the bikes got 33k miles on her now, and would like to replace this as long as its apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikscian View Post
what other problems are associated with bad/loose steering stem bearings?

Bungle in the Jungle!!!

Beep Beep m' Beep Beep YEAH!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Knee Dragger

Handling issues, tank slappers being the biggest! A steering damper will often cover up some of the issues caused by steering stem bearings going bad. If they are, you can lift the front end up (WITHOUT a stand) and hold the forks firmly. Shake them back and forth and you will feel the slack, often even hearing a "clicking" coming from the bearings. I always used a piece of wood and a jack under the headers to get the front end up for jobs like that. You need the front end to be under no load.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone

I have a scotts, so it might be covering up the problem. When I compress the front brakes when I am standing still, I feel a slight click when the forks come back up. I am assuming it is the bearing being loose?

Bungle in the Jungle!!!

Beep Beep m' Beep Beep YEAH!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Unhappy shaking / stuttering bike

Hi all,

I seem to be having some issues as well.

When I brake (quite hard) at any speed above 20kph, the bike seems to go into ABS...

But I don't believe 2005 RR's have ABS right ?!?!

It's hard to describe the bike's behaviour but it feels like the wheels are stuttering over the tarmac, trying to regain grip 10 times per second or so.

The stuttering makes the entire bike 'vibrate' so hard, it sounds like you're shaking pebbles in the fairing.

like 'BRR BRR BRR BRR BRR'... as if you're riding over a road full of small stones.

Also, while this is happening, it doesn't really matter if you start braking 'harder'. It won't have any effect, and the bike simply stutters on. Quite scary because the brake-effect seems to be less.

btw; there is NO feedback on the brake-levers. So I'm not experiencing force feedback on the brakelever or paddle.
And now that I've experienced this like 3 times already, it's not that scary. The sound makes it awkward, the bike isn't sliding away or anything, it just goes straight on (not gonna try steering at that point ;-)).

I appreciate any insights or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page