Fuel cut off relay? bike won't start! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fuel cut off relay? bike won't start!

The bike: 2005 CBR 600RR no mods except Scorpio alarm and slip on exhaust. neither of which installed by me.

Story: The bike was running fine, then on the way to the girlfriends house it cut out, i coasted onto a side street and let it cool down for about a min. and then it started back up. After getting to girlfriends house i shut it off dropped something off and then got back on to start it up. It didn't fire and the red led came on after i just flipped the key to on. but i let it sit in the shade for about 5 min and then it started. Rode home and shut it off and for some reason i noticed that when i shut it off using the kill switch on the left handle bar the red light go off so. i tired to start it again and no luck, just cranking and cranking and cranking, so then i let it cool down for about 15 mins and then go back out expecting it to start because the trend seemed to be let it cool down and then it would start. Well not so, I flip the key to the on position led and the red led is on constant and when i flip the kill switch to the "stop the engine" position the red led goes off but the "FI" light goes on. and now with the key on and flipping the kill switch i hear a relay on the left side of the bike clicking.

Symptoms: When bike is turned on, the MIL light and oil light come on. If it's a cold start it will usually start right up, if you've ridden it recently it will just crank and crank and crank. It cuts out mid ride sometimes but usually only after it's got real warm (205 215ish) as soon as you shut it off the MIL and oil light come on.

PLEASE HELP i have a Differential equations test tomorrow so i can't devote a lot of time to it right away but i REALLY want to get this fixed soon.

Last edited by dmj_88; 07-01-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So i just went down to the garage to verify everything i typed out.
So i turned the key on: Led and and oil lights on
flip the kill switch on then off: Fuel pump primes, LED goes off FI light comes on
Repeat this SEVERAL TIMES: every time the LED comes on while pump primes then goes off all the while the FI and oil lights are on
let it sit for about 10 seconds: Led comes back on but FI light goes back off until kill switch is turn off then back to run and then it repeats itself.
Try to start it for shits and giggles: starts up with the FI light on for a while then shuts off. and proceeds to idle fine with no lights on. but i KNOW next time i get it out it will act up again and be a pain in the ass! please help me figure out what could be wrong.

So basically the MIL light is on and i don't know why. How do i check for trouble codes because i tried putting the kickstand down and turning the key on in neutral and i didn't get any flashing. I found the plug but one reads 12.5V one reads 11.5V one reads 5V and one reads 0V so which ones do i jump to get the diagnostics codes to appear. also do i need to put a resistive load between the two or just short them. the diagram looks like the 5v and 12.5v are the ones being jumped.

Last edited by dmj_88; 07-01-2009 at 04:35 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 04:42 PM
World Superbike Racer

Those lights come on and go off by doing what you're doing. That sounds normal. If either of the llights are on while the engine is running for more than a few seconds... then there is a meaning to it. Or if its flashing a code repeatedly.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Well after doing a little more reading a "research" i found the oil pressure switch. and since the MIL light was constantly on when the key was on, i unscrewed the wire and it went off immediately so i figured it was low on oil. I don't have time to do an oil change right now but that's what i'm hoping it is and it's just so low that it can't make proper oil pressure and shuts off when it falls below threshold... if this sounds innaccurate please let me know. granted the light never comes on while riding but it always comes on for a second right before it randomly shuts down while riding.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I went out to warm up the bike to check the oil level, it started right up but as soon as i shut it off the MIL light and oil light came on. let it stand for a couple of mins and check the oil level it looks just fine. so now i'm back at square 1.
sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't, the MIL light is always on when the bike is NOT running but as soon as i shut it off it comes back on. I grounded the oil pressure switch while it was running and the MIL and oil light came on but the bike didn't shut off when i unground it the light went off again, then shut the bike off and the lights come back on. so what could make the bike shut off while riding and have the MIL and oil light on while the ignition is on but the bike isn't running. (P.S. new battery VERY recently)

Last edited by dmj_88; 07-01-2009 at 05:29 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 01:17 AM
World Superbike Racer

Your lights are fine. Everything you've said about how they act is fine.
First thing I'd do is take that alarm off. You have to do it with a wiring diagram of the bike to make sure that you've reconnected everything back to factory that the alarm had to change.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page