Starting Problems and a 0mph tip over - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Problems and a 0mph tip over

Ready for a lenghty post? I'm still a new rider, so pardon the noobish question. Just picked up an black RR about three weeks ago. No problems until about two hours ago.

I park my '03 RR outside in front of my Civic. When I want to take the bike out, I have to pull the car out first, then walk the bike out. I was able to start the bike fine the first time. I got the bike into an empty stall, turned the bike off, then parked my car back into my stall.

When I tried to start the bike the second time, it wouldn't start up. I checked to make sure the bike was in neutral. The engine cut-off switch was set to "run." The bike sounded like it wanted to start, but couldn't get there. The needle on the tack did a full sweep. I saw the red oil light. I tried starting it for a few seconds at a time, stopping a few moments in between attempts.

I didn't really have time to fiddle with it, so I figured I'd walk it back to my stall and just drive the car to work (where I'm posting from). I usually get on the seat to walk the bike, but for some reason today I thought I could maneuver it from the side. The bike got too far over, and I just joined the 0mph crash club. The frame sliders and rear spools saved the day, but it still really sucked.

Well, back to my primary concern. I tried starting the bike up a few more times, but it started sounding like the battery was crapping out. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Check the battery. If it's stock I would replace it or get it tested. When you get it back full charge full throttle the bike and try to start, Bike can become flooded even being fuel injected. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:41 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

+1 It may be flooded. It happened to me once after starting it for just a few seconds and then turning it off. Wide open throttle til it starts. I think it is even in the owners manual but have not looked myself. Good luck!

Kevin

'83 Alfa Romeo Spider Charcoal (+/- 11,000 Miles)
'00 V-Star 1100 Maroon/Ivory | Cobra drag pipes | Jetted
'04 600RR Red/Black | Corsa III | Ohlins Shock | Ohlins Springs/Piston Kit | PCIII | Scotts Damper | CF Jardine Race SO | Vortex Rearsets | HRC Throttle | 520 Conversion -1/+1 | Galfer Brake Lines | Speedo Healer V4 | Jardine FE | Pro Grips | Short Stalk V

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Training Wheel Hero

It Has Something To Do With The Angle Sensor (tip Sensor). Incase U Go Down It Will Shut Off The Engine And Cut Fuel. May Require A Few Crank But It Should Start. I Haven't Done The Open Throttle Myself But That May Work Also.

2007 CBR 600RR

PILOT POWER
TWO BRO EXHAUST
POWER COMMANDER
LED BLINKER MIRRORS
FLUSH MOUNT FRONT BLINKERS
PEG LIGHT BLINKERS
RG-racing FRAME SLIDERS
HID'S
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the tips! When I get back home, I'll try and start the bike with the throttle wide open. You guys just gave me a small glimmer of hope. Hehe, I'll post an update when/if this method works.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the "tip sensor." I don't think that problem applies to me because I was having problems starting the bike just before I tipped it over. That's a good thing to know, though.

As an aside, do motorcycle batteries typically last long? I was wondering if the battery may have died. The cluster lit up on the first few attempts to fire the bike up. Idk. I'll update when I finish work.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM

yeah the battery just dies on em sometimes. I have an 03 and I was riding it daily but the battery just straight up died on me one time while I was out and I had to bump start it. I have heard that the battery only gets charged when the bike is doing 65mph+ but never looked into it so I just put on my trickle charger for the night and the next day it started like nothing ever happened.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Hrm. Just got home and tried to start the bike with the throttle wide open to clear it in case it was flooded, but no dice. I tried starting it again shortly after, but nothing happened when I pressed the ignition. The cluster went blank, then came back on again. The needle on the tach ran a full sweep, and the neutral light and oil pressure light flashed on again. Same thing happened on the third attempt. I heard some clicking behind me. Possibly from the tail lights? Idk.

Sound like a dead battery? Are batteries fairly easy to replace on an '03?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:45 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Charging the battery has to do with the motor RPMs, not the speed of the bike. 65MPH is about 5600RPMs. I think anything above 3K will start to charge the bike but I'm not a bike engineer. I know setting and letting it idle doesn't charge it up.

Ah, you got in before I did. Yep, you have a junk battery. Time for new, then go on riding.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Did you get a new battery? Let us know if that works. I replace my battery while my plastics were off. So I don't remember if you can access/remove it by just removing the seat.

Kevin

'83 Alfa Romeo Spider Charcoal (+/- 11,000 Miles)
'00 V-Star 1100 Maroon/Ivory | Cobra drag pipes | Jetted
'04 600RR Red/Black | Corsa III | Ohlins Shock | Ohlins Springs/Piston Kit | PCIII | Scotts Damper | CF Jardine Race SO | Vortex Rearsets | HRC Throttle | 520 Conversion -1/+1 | Galfer Brake Lines | Speedo Healer V4 | Jardine FE | Pro Grips | Short Stalk V
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 PM

I have the same problem to day. I came into the parking lot and then engine stall. i was sitting on the bike for a while. with the bike on. I tried to start the engine crank two times . but it was a dying crank slow and out of power. when i press the ign button the tach and speedo died and then after releasing the ign switch the tach reset and did a full sweep. I tried it a couple of times. same thing. i left and went to eat. came back like 1 hour later and the damn thing start up just fine.
What i notice is that the starting keeps on getting longer and longer everytime i start up. Like it started after like 4 crank and then it seem longer and longer.

anyone know the problem? If its the battery wouldn't the bike not start at all?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTSrr View Post
Did you get a new battery? Let us know if that works. I replace my battery while my plastics were off. So I don't remember if you can access/remove it by just removing the seat.
I just pulled the battery out about two hours ago, and hooked up a battery tender/trickle charger I borrowed from a coworker. I had to remove the seat to access the battery. Haha, I dropped one of the damn battery terminal screws in the cavity. Had to tear the house apart to find a magnetic pick up tool. Hopefully I can get the bike running tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacsx View Post
I have the same problem to day. I came into the parking lot and then engine stall. i was sitting on the bike for a while. with the bike on. I tried to start the engine crank two times . but it was a dying crank slow and out of power. when i press the ign button the tach and speedo died and then after releasing the ign switch the tach reset and did a full sweep. I tried it a couple of times. same thing. i left and went to eat. came back like 1 hour later and the damn thing start up just fine.
What i notice is that the starting keeps on getting longer and longer everytime i start up. Like it started after like 4 crank and then it seem longer and longer.

anyone know the problem? If its the battery wouldn't the bike not start at all?
Wow, lucky you! You came back and the bike fired up? I didnt touch the bike for two days, and I still had the same problem.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 AM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
When your cluster goes blank is your clock resetting? Just an easy way to tell your battery is dying. If this is the stock battery you are overdue for a new one. New battery and you should be fine. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Got the bike running this morning. Battery was on the charger overnight. Now it's time to move on to another problem. The <adj> and <reset> buttons on my cluster have been useless since I got the bike a few weeks ago. I didn't mind not having access to the trip meter, but the clock is really useful. I read through some of the threads on fixing the buttons, but I'm too lazy.

Anyway, just wanted to update. Bike is running. Thank you for all the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page