Tire Wear ? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire Wear ?

Good Day,
I have ~ 6k miles on my 2008 cbr 600rr w/ stock tires. Around the first 100 miles i slightly bump'd into a curb but never felt there was a problem. I took a look at my tire wear the other day and don't feel something is right. I have attached pictures. I do small commuting on highway to work ~3 out of 5 days a week (20 miles) round trip and spend some time in the twisties.

What I note is that the tire has a good deal more wear on the left side then the right/center. Also, I don't know if it is clear in the pictures. However, I noted that the tire seems to be a bit left of center on the axle. So, my ?'s are :
1.) Is the tire wear shown in the pictures normal? What could be the cause?
2.) Am I being paranoid or is the tire really a bit off center in the axle ? (I don't notice it in my riding except for a slight vibration I feel in the front axle when I lean a little side to side .. and under strong braking I get a bit of wheel hop/shaking (although I have been told this is normal)
3.) I am looking to replace my front/rear tires soon myself. However, pending #1,#2 should I be hesitant? If I take off the front/rears and take them into a shop to get new tires/balanced should I be o.k w/ replacing them myself or should I take this into a shop to make sure alignment isn't damaged?

Image Gallery :
http://yfrog.com/6nimg0877njx

Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:05 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can't help you with anything other than saying that is not normal. My tires have never worn with such bias unless I was on a one-turn heavy track day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page