Need Real Professional bike help here - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Real Professional bike help here

Hi, I was at the drag strip when my clutches burned out. I eased it home(15 miles) and ordered new clutches. I removed the cover, and replaced the clutches. But my stupidity had to push the starter button while the cover was still off. My starter gears flew out! I put them back in and placed the cover back on. Started the bike and rode off. After a day I noticed it was getting hot (235F) very quickly. It would not start at a temp above 175F. The next day I heard a knocking noise coming from the engine, then a rattling noise. A day later this got so bad that I parked the bike. The day after I started it to let a friend hear the ratting, and it ran for 42 secs before it made a skid mark sound and locked up while idling. Tried to start it up again and it just makes a clicking noise, but engine will not turn over. Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Oh goodness, man. Um, sounds like time for a mechanic or a new engine.

The only thing I can say from way up here on the interwebs is assuming you put all the stuff that um, flew out of the transmission back in correctly, you didn't refill the oil and the engine/transmission is seized. If you've got oil in her, I have no idea, there's no way to know without being there.

Dave Moss Forks - Ohlins shock

Bazzaz FI/AFM

Goodridge SS lines - Vesrah RJL's

Arrow headers w/ Devil can

Woodcraft frame sliders - Demented swingarm spools - Rushkie-patented FE and guages
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Sh*%

Well, it had oil, plus I changed the oil the day before it locked up. I took off the timing cover and o-ring to try and turn the engine via a wrench, and I can't get it to move at all. I have placed everything in like the service manual shows me, even re check it today, and it still will not turn the engine ( 2006 Honda cbr600rr).

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper4d View Post
Well, it had oil, plus I changed the oil the day before it locked up. I took off the timing cover and o-ring to try and turn the engine via a wrench, and I can't get it to move at all. I have placed everything in like the service manual shows me, even re check it today, and it still will not turn the engine ( 2006 Honda cbr600rr).
Have you opened the clutch side again since all the noises etc? The best you can hope for is the clutch didn't go in right and it exploded and is what's jamming the drivetrain? I know I blew up a clutch in my first car years ago, and that's pretty much what happened. Lot's of rattling and then couldn't shift into gear or turn the engine.

Bazzaz FI/AFM

Woodcraft frame sliders - Demented swingarm spools - Rushkie-patented FE and guages
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yea dude, your motor is locked up. From your description... I don't think there is a chance but just maybe, one of those gears got wedged between the gear on the crankshaft and the one on the clutch. However... that would sound more like a hammer in the motor. Not skidmark sound.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Wait a minute, I this didn't occur to me before, but you obviously had to drain the oil before taking off the clutch cover. Which means if it was off (which it had to be for stuff to fly out) when you first started the bike, then yes you ran the engine without any oil and even if it happened later, it is seized. Also, if it was something stuck in the trans it probably would have gotten stuck much sooner.

The thought of this makes me Rushkie sad.

Bazzaz FI/AFM

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Smile ???

No, I never drained the oil while changing. I leaned the bike on it's kick stand and no oil spilled out. I re-opened it and checked the clutches, no problem there either. I changed the oil two days after changing the clutches. Never rode it hard before that, just a mile or two to the part store. All I changed was the clutch disc and springs. The drum never came off, just 5 bolts and 5 springs and all the clutch disc and plates. I can see clearly to the crank shaft, but can't tell if something is wedged in it. I give up. I paid $ 5,700 for this bike a month ago from a guy in my hood, and now it's dead. I'll take it to the dealer and see if they can fix it. I may be out thousands more before it's over.

Thank you for trying to help.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushkie View Post
Have you opened the clutch side again since all the noises etc? The best you can hope for is the clutch didn't go in right and it exploded and is what's jamming the drivetrain? I know I blew up a clutch in my first car years ago, and that's pretty much what happened. Lot's of rattling and then couldn't shift into gear or turn the engine.
It shifts fine. Engine just will not turn.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:52 AM
World Superbike Racer

For a repair, its cheaper to get a different than to have that one repaired. Just a crankshaft at the dealer is $700. You can get an entire motor for like $1000. From a slavage place somewhere.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
can you turn the engine by hand?

That's an important question to answer at this point.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Knee Dragger

^
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper4d View Post
answered.. =)
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
XP

thanks. what about in reverse? doesn't budge either way you turn it?

ok, well, you're going to have to take the oil pan off, and remove the motor. if you're really interested in finding out what went wrong (could be super simple) open it up. otherwise i'm going to agree with the masses here and suggest a salvage motor.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrmag_rider View Post
XP

thanks. what about in reverse? doesn't budge either way you turn it?

ok, well, you're going to have to take the oil pan off, and remove the motor. if you're really interested in finding out what went wrong (could be super simple) open it up. otherwise i'm going to agree with the masses here and suggest a salvage motor.
I agree with everything except the order of taking the oil pan off then removing the motor.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

You know you guys are right. They will charge me out the gasoo! I found an engine on ebay for $599 with shipping at $275. It looks better than mine, unless they just cleaned it up. They didn't know how many miles was on it. So, I decided to drop the motor myself and open it up to see what could be the issue. The trouble shooting in the service manual says something about the idle gear being damaged causing the motor not to turn. It was idling when it locked up. It also sounded like a V-Twin the day before locking up. Then sounded like something was rattling in the engine, then the skid mark sound and the lock up. I'll never know till I open it. Thanks guys.

Last edited by reaper4d; 07-22-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
I agree with everything except the order of taking the oil pan off then removing the motor.
only reason i suggest it is because he might find something reveling about it's contence before he dives into the quite rigorous task of removing the engine.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:31 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrmag_rider View Post
only reason i suggest it is because he might find something reveling about it's contence before he dives into the quite rigorous task of removing the engine.
Good point

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well, I started taking the bike apart. Off came the fairings,gas tank, radiator, exhaust pipe. Now on my way to removing the throttle body assembly. It's really nerve wreaking.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Can't see a problem

Took off the oil pan and looked up inside the engine. Everything looked well lubed and I can't find any problem. I can see up to half way up the piston rods. Whatever was rattling was lower around the stator or transmission. I can't find a problem there. Could it be a piston ring somehow came loose and tumbled around the bottom of the engine until it found it's way back up into the piston chamber where it got stuck causing the piston to force it way up and get stuck, hence the screech sound and the engine lock up? If so what would cause this ring to come loose at only 16,000 miles on it? I guess I have to remove the engine to and dismantle it to see whats the real issue here.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
World Superbike Racer

I'm guessing either a rod or crankshaft bearing. To look at the rod bearings, Take the two bolts off the bottom of the rods and the bearing is under the cap. To look at the crank bearings, you have to split the cases.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

As soon as I get this [email protected]#n engine out of the frame, I'll surly check that. Thats. This is a real head hurting process!!!
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:47 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I found an 06 engine kit, fairly locally, for $650 w/ 2700 miles. took an entire week of deep forum searching though.

GL with the rebuild. try to have fun with it!
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Angry nice deal

Great deal. You got lucky. All I could find was a rebuild kit for $900. It's not very fun removing the engine. I hope I can get it back in order when it's all done.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
World Superbike Racer

I doubt that a rebuit kit for $900 would include a new crankshaft. You would need one if you siezed a bearing.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
While your in there, you should put all the HRC kit in...

Try here:
http://www.186mph.com/index.php

www.LMGTFY.com --> give it a try before you ask

Thanks for driving that hybrid...and saving all the gas for me!

Last edited by powermoose1; 08-06-2009 at 02:59 PM.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is why people should leave complex problems alone.. Especially if you have no clue or mechanical knowledge, take it to a technician that knows whats going on and save yourself a lot of cash. Idle gears have nothing to do with it idling!..........LOL
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
how much silicone it you put on the cover to seal it?
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baked View Post
This is why people should leave complex problems alone.. Especially if you have no clue or mechanical knowledge, take it to a technician that knows whats going on and save yourself a lot of cash. Idle gears have nothing to do with it idling!..........LOL
Now that funny...I took my bike into Honda to replace the cluster (free) I fought with them just to give me the cluster and I'll do it when I get home...nope said it was easy and they would do it. The tard just sat there for 5 minutes looking at the bike and when he started taking the gas tank cover off I pulled the plug and got the service manager. what a joke

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Okay I totally removed and disassembled the engine. To my surprise, everything looked brand new. I found no problems. So, what could it be. Everything was well lubed, and engine looked as if it never been used. There was no carbon build up on the pistons, and the crank shaft was is perfect condition. Yet when I put everything back together, and tried to put the timing back as the manual instructed, I still couldn't get the engine to turn to the "T" mark. It's as if it's stuck. Yes, I tried to do this before disassembling the engine too, and nothing would move.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
World Superbike Racer

First, take out the crankshaft them push and pull on the rods. Do the pistons move up and down?

If so, then install the crankshaft. Now spin it. Does it spin and the pistons move up and down...

Just keep adding the next part untill you add the part that stops the motor from spinning. Then there's your problem

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Knee Dragger

Youch...From the progression (knocking->rattling->seizing) it sounds like you spun a rod bearing, then fused the rod to the crank...but that would be pretty obvious on disassembly. If you've taken pictures of all the components that might help.

I'm hoping this isn't your first time tearing into an engine? Even if it is, the only way to learn is by doing, really. Please keep us posted with your progress, and I'll try to give any tips when I can. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page