my big mess up.. electrical problem. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my big mess up.. electrical problem.

Alright, I didnt know I was not suppose to do this.. I should of read up on anything like that but I was in such a hurry to get my 2003 CBR 600RR started that it slipped my mind.

I recently installed an integrated tail light on my bike and while i was putting all the wires where they needed to go i noticed that one wasnt fitting in all the way and it kept on coming out. I had my bike on but not running this whole time. After i finally got it to work without any complications of the turn signals my bike was ALMOST completely dead. Me and my buddies tried to pop the clutch and get it push started. Even down a small hill but it didnt work. The lights were just getting dimmer and dimmer.. So my smart butt thought... Hey why dont I just get it jumped from my buddies little v6 truck? Wow.. big mistake.. I know that everyone thats reading it this far is now either shaking their head or laughing. Anyway, make a long story short.. I can't really remember if he had the truck on or not but he must have had it on because after we got it jumped from the truck I "being smart there too" shut the bike off.. Not giving it enough time to charge at all.. So we did it agian! and this time we left it on for maybe two minutes? and once we did it the second time. Thats where we got the big problem from.. My bike starts.. and runs, great.. But I have no back running light and my speedometer went out.. only thing on my speedometer that works is the turn signals, brights and the time at the bottom.. Everything else doesnt show up. I took it to my local honda dealer and one of the mechanics told me that since i jumped it from a truck that i probably fried the wireing harness.. which is a $600 part from honda.. he said that it could also just be a fuse blown or a relay.. but he doesnt know until he strips my bike apart and takes a look at it.. Can anyone shed their light on me here?

Everything else on my bike works.. The break light works and the turn signals work, front beams work and all that jazz.. everything accept the back running light and the speedometer.

Oh btw.. I didn't have the bike on at all to charge the battery up again because my bike gets hot rather easy, because i have a coolant leak..

Last edited by moocow; 07-28-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
You can jump a bike with a car battery. They are both 12volts will not hurt it.
Ask the Honda guy why the car battery messed up your harness? Both are 12volt batteries and both charge up to 14volts. Your bike does the same thing.
Your Honda dealer is FOS saying your wiring harness is $600.
It's $300 from Ronayers. I would check all of your fuses and make sure that your cluster is plugged in all the way. Probably just a blown fuse. Don't take your bike back to that dealer. Buy an owners manual and save yourself a bunch of money. Welcome to the forum. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Tripage.. I left it at the honda dealer but i hope i can go get it tomorrow then. Anyone else have any suggestions? Because after I read up on the battery thing, I heard both what you said and what the honda mechanic said.. I also have aftermarket fairings on my bike and those are a pain to get on and off.. But saving me 300-900 bucks i would do it myself in a heart beat..

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=119222

Maybe this is the same problem for me? Because the same thing is hapening.. Im going to go to honda tomorrow and get it back and see what I can do... If anyone else still has anything to say about it please tell me. Thanks everyone.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sounds to me like you have a blown fuse since you left the bike running when you wired up the tail light.

I've jumped my bike off my car twice and never had any problems. Eff the dealer trying to rip you off. He's playing you on the fact that you don't know much about the bike.

Check your fuse box first.

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanCo Rider View Post
Sounds to me like you have a blown fuse since you left the bike running when you wired up the tail light.

I've jumped my bike off my car twice and never had any problems. Eff the dealer trying to rip you off. He's playing you on the fact that you don't know much about the bike.

Check your fuse box first.
I forgot to mention that when I wired the tail light up and everything was finished, it all worked but it wouldnt start up because of the dead battery. But once we hooked it up to the truck battery and so forth.. that happened afterwards...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Fried your harness??? I couldn't possibly count how many times I have jump started my quad from my truck. It seems VERY unlikely that you did any damage to your bike from that jump. Probably just a fuse...
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
I forgot to mention that when I wired the tail light up and everything was finished, it all worked but it wouldnt start up because of the dead battery. But once we hooked it up to the truck battery and so forth.. that happened afterwards...
Are you sure that you wired the tail light up correctly? Did you make sure to insulate and bare wire that may have been left hanging out in the open? If any wires made contact, that will blow a fuse.

If you didn't wire the tail light up correctly, it may have fried a fuse when it finally got the correct amount of power and not a drained battery charge.

I'm still putting my money on a blown fuse.

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Looking into the whole thing the more it sounds like I just blew a fuse.. If I did "Which I hope I did" blow a fuse. Does anyone know where and which fuse it is? I think that there's a fuse box located on the left side of the bike? and some fuses near the tank / battery.

It's a 2003 CBR600RR.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Looking into the whole thing the more it sounds like I just blew a fuse.. If I did "Which I hope I did" blow a fuse. Does anyone know where and which fuse it is? I think that there's a fuse box located on the left side of the bike? and some fuses near the tank / battery.

It's a 2003 CBR600RR.
Not sure where your fuse box is on your model. Someone else can probably help you with that.

On my 08, the fuse box is underneath the seat.

Quote:
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Wow, Im pretty sure Its a blown fuse.. I bought smoked flush turn signals for my bike a long time ago but I did not want to mess with the wiring .. The person that had the bike before me had laid it over before, messing up the front turn signals.. so they just electrical taped up the wires and left it like that.. I dont know why me and my buddy tried to hook them up that day too, i guess just to kill 2 birds with one stone; idk. Well I dont know for sure because my memory is horrible but I think he might have left wires touching, un-insulated on the side he was working on.. before we jumped the bike, but I dont know.. Ugh, man this is so annoying.. Thanks everyone.. im gonna get the bike back tomorrow and check the fuses and see if they are blown and i will get back with everyone then.. feel free to comment anything you might think is helpful.
Thanks
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Alright, thank you LanCo Rider.

I found out where the fuse box is by downloading a service manual for my bike. Thanks!

Last edited by moocow; 07-29-2009 at 01:55 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Alright, thank you LanCo Rider.

I found out where the fuse box is by downloading a service manual for my bike. Thanks!
Not a problem. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Quote:
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Training Wheel Hero

yeah sounds like a fuse easy fix like $3 dollars at auto zone just make sure you get the fuse with the proper rating or you could burn up your wiring harness. i used to have to replace a fuse all the time cause every time i used the horn it would blow the fuse which included the turn signals and brake light also.i never could fix it so i just open the horn switch and put a piece of plastic between the contacts good luck man
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like the fuse to me. You shouldn't need the service manual to check it though. The cover of the fuses has a label listing what each fuse is for. With that, you should be able to know which fuse to check. I didn't read all the posts but in case this wasn't said, the fuses are under the left mid fairing.

Next the battery. When you drain a battery till its dead, you do harm to it. If you battery is 50/50, draining it fully can be the end of its life. So, if you have to keep jump starting it, then you either have junked your battery, or you have done something wrong with the wiring so that something is pulling power from your battery when the bike is off. I'm leaning towards the bad battery.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Alright, thanks guys. I'll look into all of the possible solutions that everyone has said and get back with all of you.
Thanks!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone.. I went out and got me a new battery because I knew my old one was shot.. took the side fairing off and checked the fuses and yeah it was a blown fuse.. but I have a question.. what if your using a bigger fuse than what it calls for?.. like if it calls for a 15 and your using a 20?

and thank you guys.. i appreciate all the feedback! glad to see my bike up and runnin again.

Last edited by moocow; 07-31-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: wasnt done..
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Hey everyone.. I went out and got me a new battery because I knew my old one was shot.. took the side fairing off and checked the fuses and yeah it was a blown fuse.. but I have a question.. what if your using a bigger fuse than what it calls for?.. like if it calls for a 15 and your using a 20?

and thank you guys.. i appreciate all the feedback! glad to see my bike up and runnin again.

Hey, that's good news man. Sure beats paying $600 for a "new wiring harness" that you "needed".

I don't think using a 20 in a 15 will hurt anything. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Quote:
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

No. Running a larger fuse won't hurt anything. I had some issues a month back with mine and my dealer gave me the same thing a 20 over 15 and from his word of mouth it will be fine. No problems at all with mine from it!

Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet Carbon Race Slip On
Vortex 520 conversion -1/+2
RK Gold Race X-Ring chain
Power Commander 3
Shogun Frame Slider Complete Kit
Proton Flushmounts
CA Smoked Integrated Tail Light
CBR Heaven USA F/E
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Tank Pad
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Gas Cap Pad
Reflective Red Rim Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
OTOH, if you try to be the tough guy and it gets out of control, a few years from now you may be thinking, "Man, prison still sucks. I hope I don't get boned in the ass again today."
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i would be pissed if i was you. The dealer just tried to take you for 600 bucks.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Oh I was pissed man.. Today i was riding out to my sisters baby shower and im pretty sure he drove by me, i gave him a big wave.. lol.. But yeah.. What really had me rolling was that I had my bike in there because I had gotten rear-ended at a red light.. the peoples insurance took care of all of it.. i got a new rim, axle, tire and money for my aftermarket -ebay- plastics.. they kinda jipped me out of a new y0shi exhuast, which is what i have on there.. The people that hit me did not mess up my exhaust, just bent it.. because I didnt have it bolted all the way to the sub-frame.. which is good cause my subframe would of been torn up and my exhaust would of been torn up too.. all the little fender bender did was bend my exhaust, warp my rim, scratch my tire, crack my back tail fender and my tire hugger.. which got paid for.

and this is what made me laugh..

It took 6 and a half hours to change a new rim and axle.. and put the new tire on..

They did not take the rim off, then the axle.. they took the axle off and left the rim on there, which saved them time.. So 6 and a half hours? holy hell that was.. almost 500 bucks in labor.. that I didn't pay, the insurance did.. but still.. seriously? take 6.5 hours on that?

That made me laugh a lil bit, but what really made me laugh was when I did all of this and brought it up to them.. I told them that I thought it was a fuse and told them where the fuse box was and just to check it out really quick.. and they brought out the manual for my bike and was lookin stuff up on it.. then told me about the wireing harness about 20 minutes later.

Im not trying to bad mouth them.. Idk if they were trying to rip me off money and try to get the best of me cause I know very little about my bike.. "which im learning a lot now.." but it just ticks me off when that happens..

I do remember him saying that he "dont know" yet and hes gonna try and find out.. and not try n have me get a new wiring harness.. but that was his first guess was the wiring harness. lol

Alright.. I wrote a crapload.. i doubt anyone reads this!
thanks again guys!
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

And thanks guys, I was wondering cause there was a 20 where a 15 was suppose to go.. I just put a new 20 in.. and it works great.. thanks :icon_lol:
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

HAH! My stealership wanted 180$ to do a 520 conversion. I bought my own tools, studied on here and did it myself. No problem moocow you'll be fine!

Jardine RT-1 Dual Outlet Carbon Race Slip On
Vortex 520 conversion -1/+2
RK Gold Race X-Ring chain
Power Commander 3
Shogun Frame Slider Complete Kit
Proton Flushmounts
CA Smoked Integrated Tail Light
CBR Heaven USA F/E
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Tank Pad
Keiti "Grim Reaper" Gas Cap Pad
Reflective Red Rim Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
OTOH, if you try to be the tough guy and it gets out of control, a few years from now you may be thinking, "Man, prison still sucks. I hope I don't get boned in the ass again today."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page