Dirty/Black Spark Plugs - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Question Dirty/Black Spark Plugs

hello. i have a 04 rr . my bike is having some problems. i osted a thread on here befor and it helped some of my problems out but not all of them. my bike is still surging while irden. if bike is just sitting there idling and i rev it past 6k its dies when i comes back down. and i have to clean my plugs befor i ride it each time. if you are facing the front of the bike the two plugs on your right get black and dirty but not near as bad as the left two. the left two get really nasty looking. they get so dirty bike wont start without me cleaning them first.its kinda a pain to do so. its maide this season a non enjoyable one. i want to be ridin lol. between the surging and cleaning the plugs its a pain. plus i only get 70 mpg to a tank. and i dont beat on it. i dont knowwhat to do but just buy a new motor. maybe its my tb or ecu. i ran a compression test on it andall 4 read around 150. so i dont think its my rings . maybe i blew a valve or my head gasket. the bike does smoke recenly its been a lighter color smoke. and it still back fires when i am comign to a stop and shoot out a big ass flame. please give me some help.

thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would first check the vacuum line going to the map sensor... if it is leaking air then it would make the ecu run the engine rich
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYBUMBLE View Post
hello. i have a 04 rr . my bike is having some problems. i osted a thread on here befor and it helped some of my problems out but not all of them. my bike is still surging while irden. if bike is just sitting there idling and i rev it past 6k its dies when i comes back down. and i have to clean my plugs befor i ride it each time. if you are facing the front of the bike the two plugs on your right get black and dirty but not near as bad as the left two. the left two get really nasty looking. they get so dirty bike wont start without me cleaning them first.its kinda a pain to do so. its maide this season a non enjoyable one. i want to be ridin lol. between the surging and cleaning the plugs its a pain. plus i only get 70 mpg to a tank. and i dont beat on it. i dont knowwhat to do but just buy a new motor. maybe its my tb or ecu. i ran a compression test on it andall 4 read around 150. so i dont think its my rings . maybe i blew a valve or my head gasket. the bike does smoke recenly its been a lighter color smoke. and it still back fires when i am comign to a stop and shoot out a big ass flame. please give me some help.

thanks for looking!
To be completely honest... IT IS A RACE BIKE... You really should ride it a little harder than it sounds like you do. It will help with the plug fouling problem too...

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

^^^ that's some sound technical advice. you said the bike has been smoking lately... has it been using oil or coolant?

'06 Silver 600RR
- Competition Werkes FE & Rear Signals
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
- PCIII

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

oil seems to be fine. i will check the coolant in the morning when i get home. i know its a a great bike and its meant o go go fast.i know that i have been riding for 4 years now. but something isnt right woith the bike. i want it fixed . i can check the coolant and i will let you know thursday when i get back here to work
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredMotives View Post
To be completely honest... IT IS A RACE BIKE... You really should ride it a little harder than it sounds like you do. It will help with the plug fouling problem too...
you are retarded. there is OBVIOUSLY an issue. 70 miles to the tank!! thats horrible! its dumping fuel when it shouldnt.

OP, let me know if you want a hand

the vacuum hose suggestion sounds legit. I have some spare hoses if needed
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:18 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
sounds like running too rich ... when was ur last time checked / serviced ur air filter ?
did you so some kind of work where u had to mess with injectors ?

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

no all this was happening befor ht einjectors went bad.i used injector cleaner cause some friend told me too. but bad idea it clogged the injectors so i got new ones off ebay and when i got the bike the air filter was so dirty and clooged i held it to the sun and could see no light at all so i bought a new one from honda just a oem one. but since ive had the bike i have not had it serviced. i am goin to go and try to put prowakes tb on when we can both hook up and maybe see if thats the problem. maybe. i didnt have time to check my coolant but i put the bike straight off the kick stand and oil looked fine. i will check the map senser hose tho. for some reason i dont remember seeing a hose for it tho just the plug that goes into it. where would that hose be ? is in the airbox? or out.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

i checked the coolant. i can see it from the radiator. its down a couple inches for the top. i looked at the over flor and couldnt see if any was in there. its a dark green collor and i cant see in it. maybe i need to take it off and clean it. and my map senser is plugged in to the hose fine
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 PM
World Superbike Racer

ohhh man, theres your problem!! no hose to the map sensor = your problem. I have a hose if you need, but you probably have it, just not hooked up. Im available this weekend if you need me to jet by there and give a hand, dude

let me know

pce
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

i checked the map senser hose and its on fine. i dont think its that. but ya....
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredMotives View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWakeskater View Post
you are retarded. there is OBVIOUSLY an issue. 70 miles to the tank!! thats horrible! its dumping fuel when it shouldnt.

OP, let me know if you want a hand

the vacuum hose suggestion sounds legit. I have some spare hoses if needed
glad someone said it i was trying the more subtle approach.

KENTUCKYBUMBLE i doubt this will help your issue but i would definitely change your oil if you haven't serviced it since you got it especially since it sounds like you used quite a lot of injector cleaner plus sea foam. i know when we do a fuel system service at work where we spray a foam cleaner into the intake to clean the carbon from the intake/valves we change the oil afterward (breaks down the viscosity of the oil) and you can smell it in the oil.

just wondering did you take the power commander of like people were telling you (at least until you get your problem figured out)?

'06 Silver 600RR
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
- PCIII

Last edited by Shifted_04; 08-10-2009 at 09:27 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

i did take it off. thank you for reading the other thread btw. i get paid thursday i will buy new oil and filter. i changed it when i first got the bike but not since the injector cleaner. one of my patients here at work mentioned it might be my 02 senser i ask prowake about it and he doesnt think that i have one just the cali bikes do. not saying he is wrong or dumb but just asking someone else if you know if my bike would. he said it would be in my headers.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

not a dumb question but that is correct only california type have the o2 sensor (it is located in the exhaust manifold right below the crank case cover on throttle side).

'06 Silver 600RR
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
- PCIII

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 PM
World Superbike Racer

yes it is correct that california models only have the o2 sensor. I told him that in a pm
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

was just reading over your other thread trying to brain storm what might be wrong. i think the guys in the other thread were on the right track with the fact that its getting too much fuel.... only 70 miles to a tank and from the sounds of it you plugs are fouling from all that fuel. oh yeah how many MIL blinks did you get and are you still getting them?

'06 Silver 600RR
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
- PCIII

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

just looking at the repair manual and it sounds like you might have an issue with the Throttle Position sensor (8 MIL blinks). says to refer to pages 6-20 and 6-38.

'06 Silver 600RR
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
- PCIII

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

i have the code at home that it was throwing befor.i have not recently tried to run another test on it. i will get some wire on my way home and run another test. i think it was brown to green. is the tp senser the one on the side on the left that the power commander plugs into. if so i do aggree. strongly. i called the guy i bought the bike from and he thinks it was goin out the jerk didnt say it tho whne i bought the bike. kinda upset. where can i get this senser or do i have to put the whole tb in. prowake has a set i can buy from him. didnt know if i should put them in or just the senser.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

TPS Location

'06 Silver 600RR
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
- PCIII

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

unfortunately if it is the throttle position sensor you have to buy the whole throttle body, not available to purchase separately. 16400-MEE-672 is the part # for the non-cali throttle body and its rather pricey ($1,358.69 ). if that ends up being the problem you might be able to find a used throttle body assembly from someone here on the forum.

'06 Silver 600RR
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
- PCIII

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

TPS diagnostics

'06 Silver 600RR
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
- PCIII

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 AM
fast03600rr

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted_04 View Post
unfortunately if it is the throttle position sensor you have to buy the whole throttle body, not available to purchase separately. 16400-MEE-672 is the part # for the non-cali throttle body and its rather pricey ($1,358.69 ). if that ends up being the problem you might be able to find a used throttle body assembly from someone here on the forum.
damn!!! i sold one of those for $50!!

Phatstud

07 Dyna
07 Bagger

07 RMZ 250

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

wow!!! as soon as i get done baby sitting my niece and nephew i will check the voltage. shifted 04 and prowake you guys are great. you dont know how nice it is to have people actually help you
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yo I am not sure if this is gonna help you at all but here it goes...

Have you been working under the Tank? (i.e. lifting the tank up to get to the airbox)
It just so happens when I was installing my Quick throttle on my 04 I some how pinched or offset the fuel line hose that you will see when lifting the tank up never had it happen before but when I put the bike back together it would try to turn over but would not and I could only get it to start and stay on when I turnedover/hit the throttle. anyways i got the blinks for something being wrong also it sounded like crap along with some smoke and smell of gas and would die if I rev'ed it at all took it to the shop because i could not figure it out at all and all he did was lift the tank up look to make sure everything was plugged in put the tank back down and it started up. He said something about it would be flooded not to sure hope you get something out of this XD
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

F'N A boys. got it running and running strong. it was the TB's. the senser when we took the TB's off broke in half. it even had burn marks on the inside. but it took little over 2 hour to put the TB's on and went for a ride with prowakeskater got about ten miles from home and the throttle was all super loose.didnt know what happeneed at first but got hr home and took her apart we didnt tighten the one cable all the way and it slip off. but fixed that and she runs amazing. no smoke no flames nothing just pure awesomeness!!!! thanks for everyone help.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

glad to hear you finally got it fixed. now go out and put some miles on it before it the riding season is over.

'06 Silver 600RR
- Yoshimura RS-5 Slip-On
- PCIII

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page