Shifting troubles! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shifting troubles!

This problem started happening this weekend and I have no idea what the issue is. I was getting on the freeway accelerating at full throttle in first gear, when I went to shift into second gear, at about 15K, it got stuck in neutral. I then tried to shift from neutral into second and the gears made a weird sound and the shift lever started to vibrate violently. The same sound and vibrating happened when trying to shift back into first.

This again happened twice tonight when I was going home from work. I accelerated very hard and around 15k I shifted and it wouldn't go past neutral. Again the vibrating and noises were identical as to the earlier situation. I then went to a very straight and non frequented road and accelerated hard and shifted. It felt like it went all the way through to second this time but then popped back into neutral. In all the scenarios I pulled up on the shifting lever pretty hard. Sorry for the book but I'm fairly new to motorcycles and don't know where to start looking for a problem. I did a search to but couldn't find anything that related. I ride an 08 600rr with about 7400 miles.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rancho60 For This Useful Post:
Fanatic (10-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Knee Dragger

15,000 RPMs. why so high? try shifting sooner-at a lower rpm and check your oil and clutch cable freeplay.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jays wht rr View Post
15,000 RPMs. why so high? try shifting sooner-at a lower rpm and check your oil and clutch cable freeplay.
I noticed that through town when shifting from first to second, not at 15k, the shifting action felt sticky. Usually when riding I shift at 5k or 6k.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dude, #1 why the hell are you shifting your bike at 15k? At that point in first gear you've run past the optimum torque curve and your just revving the piss out of the engine. These bikes have constant mesh trannys. Ive notice they tend to get out of sync and hard to shift if you shift up past about 12. Chill out on that bike man, if you keep riding it like that you're gonna wind up blowing it up or killing your stupid @$$.

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid, you're afraid of whores. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end, but to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to get naked in this thread, and then I'm going to show these whores what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where whoring is possible.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Dude, #1 why the hell are you shifting your bike at 15k? At that point in first gear you've run past the optimum torque curve and your just revving the piss out of the engine. These bikes have constant mesh trannys. Ive notice they tend to get out of sync and hard to shift if you shift up past about 12. Chill out on that bike man, if you keep riding it like that you're gonna wind up blowing it up or killing your stupid @$$.

I have to dissagree with you grady,, the bike makes peak power ar 14,500 rpm so this is where it is optimal to shift, plus the bike has an over-rev of 500 rpm to allow for later shifts if you are racing and need to stay in a gear just that little bit longer to shave that extra 10th of a second off the lap time..

And I don't think you will ever blow up the honda engine bringing it up to redline,, that is what they are made to do.,, if you are bouncing it off the rev-limiter for an hour straight it might blow up..
these motors are basically bullet proof

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR
The Following User Says Thank You to v-tec crx For This Useful Post:
Fanatic (10-15-2015)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Moto GP Racer

Even a straight hour at redline won't blow these motors up.

Solar White RR6 "Pearl"
R.I.P. PHATTY!
Quote:
Caution: Beware of whores.........
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofakindRR View Post
Even a straight hour at redline won't blow these motors up.
so how many straight hours at redline have you clocked?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTM_Patron View Post
so how many straight hours at redline have you clocked?
bahaha

I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid, you're afraid of whores. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end, but to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to get naked in this thread, and then I'm going to show these whores what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without you. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where whoring is possible.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho60 View Post
I was getting on the freeway

This again happened twice tonight when I was going home from work.
I then went to a very straight and non frequented road and accelerated hard and shifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-tec crx View Post
I have to dissagree with you grady,, the bike makes peak power ar 14,500 rpm so this is where it is optimal to shift, plus the bike has an over-rev of 500 rpm to allow for later shifts if you are racing and need to stay in a gear just that little bit longer to shave that extra 10th of a second off the lap time..
Granted. But this dude isnt on a track, hes squidding it up on the street, where there is never ever a reason to redline a 600. I could see a 250 or 500ex or something but redlining 1st on the street is just silly.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Yeah dude, I'm new to bikes but I know that redlining a bike when you don't need it isn't good. You are working your engine too much. People who race at the track take their bikes to red line most of the time but I know the engine has to be serviced after every race.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 AM
World Superbike Racer

My .02

If your new to bikes and also your bike is having a shifting problem... You need to stop trying to blow up your tranny. Yes, your bike should easily shift at 15K but it's not.

If you want to fix it, take it to a friend that has ridden a while or go to a shop and let them take it for a ride. The problem lies somewhere between your brain and the tranny. Maybe it's your technique, maybe its a sticky shift lever.

If someone with experience shifts it just fine, look at your technique, if they have problems too, then start looking at the bike.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
My .02

If your new to bikes and also your bike is having a shifting problem... You need to stop trying to blow up your tranny. Yes, your bike should easily shift at 15K but it's not.

If you want to fix it, take it to a friend that has ridden a while or go to a shop and let them take it for a ride. The problem lies somewhere between your brain and the tranny. Maybe it's your technique, maybe its a sticky shift lever.

If someone with experience shifts it just fine, look at your technique, if they have problems too, then start looking at the bike.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 12:02 PM
fast03600rr

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
try moving your shift lever lower so you can pull up on it further...

Phatstud

07 Dyna
07 Bagger

07 RMZ 250

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Granted. But this dude isnt on a track, hes squidding it up on the street
If you have ever gotten onto a freeway in Cali you know you need to be at freeway speed in an instant.

But talking about squidding doesn't help the problem. If this happens on the track it will get me into some serious trouble. The shifting feels sticky between first and second when shifting at 5k or 6k but it will go through neutral. When I'm at high rpms it doesn't go all the way through.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Knee Dragger

my 02 F4i (my very first bike) had the same "problem". i took it in and the honda tech said that i needed to be cleaner with my shifting. spent about an hour the next day taking my time to "relearn" how to shift and never had it happen again.

1st to 2nd is the longest shift in the pattern. so the time the clutch is in is a split second longer. think about that when u shift. it might help

just my .02
The Following User Says Thank You to sgosselin13 For This Useful Post:
Fanatic (10-15-2015)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho60 View Post
If you have ever gotten onto a freeway in Cali you know you need to be at freeway speed in an instant.
if I can make it happen with 4 people in a rental jeep commanche or whatever those new POS's are you should be able to do just fine without the need to be redlining it everywhere.

Get moving, pop into second and then wring the piss out of it...
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 10:35 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgosselin13 View Post
my 02 F4i (my very first bike) had the same "problem". i took it in and the honda tech said that i needed to be cleaner with my shifting. spent about an hour the next day taking my time to "relearn" how to shift and never had it happen again.

1st to 2nd is the longest shift in the pattern. so the time the clutch is in is a split second longer. think about that when u shift. it might help

just my .02
Did a search and found this thread because I've been experiencing a similar issue. I believe I've found my answer in the above quoted post, and I feel that I need to put more emphasis when shifting from 1st to 2nd at higher RPM's.

Thanks to @Rancho60 for posting up this thread - even if it has been a few years.

2014 Chevrolet Express 2500
2015 Honda Rebel
2016 Toyota Prius C
2016 Lexus GX 460
2017 Honda CBR600RR
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews

I am from CANADA, the land of poutine, back-bacon and GOOD BEER!!
2012 STREET BIKE OF THE YEAR

Last edited by v-tec crx; 10-16-2015 at 09:10 AM.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,722 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Grrr, never mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page