Bike cutting in and out - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Bike cutting in and out

So before I describe the problem, the onyl thing things that changed before the issue were the tires (obviously a long shot to be the problem) and the battery was drained due to leaving the key on.

So the problem is this, the bike ran fine and dandy on my way to work then about 1 mile after leaving to go home the bike suddenly bogged hard while giving a steady throttle at a very low rpm as I was splitting cars. The immediately recovered and the FI light came on then went off about 5 seconds later. It was like the bike died then suddenly came back. I got up to speed and the bike studderd a couple of times but no light. Then the bike bogged hard again like it just shut off and I look down and the MIL and the FI light are on. I give it some gas and it comes back and seems normal with no lights. I am like ten miles from home so I exit the freeway at this point and am going to limp home. The bike seemed fine for a mile or two with no light. Then the bike shudders a few more time rapidly so I turn off the road and pull in the clutch and it idles for about 10 seconds then dies completely.

I pull off the seat and check the battery. Connection are loose and I tighten them up and the bike starts and runs. Bike ran fine the rest of the way home.

Could the loose battery connection, especially the neg where my PCIII is hooked up cause my problem? I tried to read the codes but the MIL and FI light both just stay on steady when I jump the green and brown wire on the data link. I tried to do the reset thing per the manual but nothing happens.

Any ideas? I really dont want to just ride and hope for the best. Is there anything else I should check prior to riding.

Also I was looking at my PCIII and when I twist the throttle the bar doesn't go all the way to the top. It stops one bar short.

2005 CBR600RR
DIY V-Stacks
Yosh RS-5 Exhaust w/ Full Exhaust Wrap
-1/+1 520 Conversion
PCIIIusb
Galfer Red SS lines
35w 5000K HID's
Pazzo Levers
Red Minolta Fairings from Auctmart
Tech Skin Tank Grips
BLK PC Pass Pegs
Motydesign 4 cell Lightweight Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:28 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would bet that the loose terminals were the problem. If the PC wasn't getting enough power to work correctly it would cause the engine to buck, stall, and all sorts of things as well as cause the FI light to come on(since the PC is now a working part of the fuel management). I would still want to check the codes and then clear them so they are not confused with other codes if you have any other issues down the road.

The PCIII is working correctly if the bar doesn't go all the way to the top, this is how they are made.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Like Murph said, the lights on the PC not going to the top is not a problem. What your bike sounds like is a loose connection to the battery or the main ground connection. I hope you know where the battery is but the ground wires all connect to the frame under the left mid fairing. Those would be the first 2 things I check.

Sorry, noob mistake. I didn't read your entire post before I spoke. Umn, you said your battery connection was loose. Your problem sounds fixed most likely to me.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

Last edited by dcope17; 08-29-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: ADD

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Awesome thanks guys, I will give it a spin tomorrow to make sure its GTG.

2005 CBR600RR
DIY V-Stacks
Yosh RS-5 Exhaust w/ Full Exhaust Wrap
-1/+1 520 Conversion
PCIIIusb
Galfer Red SS lines
35w 5000K HID's
Pazzo Levers
Red Minolta Fairings from Auctmart
Tech Skin Tank Grips
BLK PC Pass Pegs
Motydesign 4 cell Lightweight Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page