Sheared a pinch bolt! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sheared a pinch bolt!

Sorry - this is going to be long-winded, but here goes:

About a month ago I got new tires mounted and balanced at Cycle Gear. Afterward I noticed a terrible headshake from about 40 mph up. I checked the wheel, and sure enough they'd installed 2.5 oz of balance weights right beside the .5 oz that was already on the front wheel from the factory. I've been busy, so didn't have a chance to bring it back for rebalancing but kept riding it with the shake.

This weekend I took it off, brought it back to CG, and asked them to rebalance it. This time the guy said "Yeah, there was WAY too much weight on there - it only needed 1/4 oz."

So I went home to install it. I never even reached the spec'd 16 ft-lbs on the farthest left pinch bolt. I had a steady, smooth turn while the bolt stretched, then it sheared off inside the fork. All I can figure is that the vibration fatigued the bolt just shy of breaking, then I took care of the rest.

I managed to slot the end of the bolt with a Dremel and turn it all the way out of the back of the fork with a flathead (thank Honda it was threaded all the way through), then bought a new set of pinch bolts. I installed all four, torqued them down, then rode a while. When I got back home I retorqued to check, and got about another half-turn out of the far left before the torque wrench clicked. So my guess is those threads are (pardon the pun) screwed.

Has anyone had something similar to this happen? Not necessarily the same circumstances, but just the end result of mangled threads on the pinch holes? My plan is to get a 1/2" longer bolt to go through and past the hole, then Loctite a backing nut on there behind the fork as a failsafe. Does anyone see a problem with that I'm overlooking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:53 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice job on the fix. I don't know if I would worry about it. Lugnuts on a car will lose some of their torque but not because of bad threads. More just getting all the different directions of forces will settle it in. Then you have to torque them again.

I would torque it the second time (like you did) then take it for a ride again. If it looses its torque again, then get the longer bolt with a nut on the back. Also, they make nuts called Nylock. Just a small nylon piece in it to keep it from backing out. Maybe just something easier than using loctite.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page