Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Who likes learning the hard way? Tire install

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  samson7x 
#1 ·
I sure do like to learn the hard way. I feel it's the best way to learn. That's why I totally meant to rip the bead on my new DC3..... :banghead:

Onto my question....I am assuming others have ripped beads like I have (hopefully). Has anyone just thrown it on and ran it? The rip is only about 3/16" - 1/4". Not through the whole bead by any means. I'm thinking as long as it pressurizes and holds the air it should be fine, right?

See less See more
#3 ·
Lol. I asked a few friends who have done that too and they said the same thing. Needless to say I finished putting the tire on for the sake of practice and it holds pressure just fine. So I'm going to run it and see how it feels. If I wipe out cuz it slips off the rim, It's all yours!

#5 ·
Just remember..........that tire is the only thing between YOU and the ROAD! Personally, I wouldn't run it, but hey, it's your call. One little problem with that tire and you go sliding down the road (or worse) and you've well exceeded the cost of a new tire, properly installed

Reactions: dixon cider
#6 ·
And also remember that if you took that to get it installed and the tire monkey did that he would have told you about it.... Sure he would..
Looks like it will be fine, practice on crap tires till you get it down pat then try yours.. T

#7 ·
Yeah T, I should have done it a few times with my old one to get the hang of it. I figure what I was doing wrong was only using one tire lever at the very end. Too much stress on that one spot. So second try I used two levers when the tire was almost on to spread out that stress. It went right on after that.

I have left the tire over night and it hasn't dropped any PSI. I looked at where the rim sits on the tire compared to where the end of the bead on the tire is and I've got about 3/4" of contact on the rim before the tire bead ends. I'm thinking I'll be fine, but will take it easy on her for sure.

#11 ·
I see the rim protector in the one pic, are you using some good lube? Lube is the key to getting the tires on effortlessly.. T

#16 ·
Get tire lube.. It's cheap and you can get it on ebay.. Works great... T
I have worked in a tire shop around 10 years.
Your tire is fine, i have seen alot worse than that and they were fine.

These guys know whats up!! :+1:.... Lube is key to life!! :drunk:

I was using a dish detergent / water solution. The water in that evaporated quickly and once that happened it was useless. That solution sucked for it again because by the time I got the tire on the rim, it was all dried up and then the tire bead didn't seat itself against the lip of the rim until I got about 30 psi in it along with beating on the tire with a rubber mallet.

Next tire change I'll try WD40 or maybe a silicone spray I guess.

Don't try wd40 it'll eat away at the rubber.... best thing I ever found to work was something that was either oil based... silicone works too...

#12 ·
I was using a dish detergent / water solution. The water in that evaporated quickly and once that happened it was useless. That solution sucked for it again because by the time I got the tire on the rim, it was all dried up and then the tire bead didn't seat itself against the lip of the rim until I got about 30 psi in it along with beating on the tire with a rubber mallet.

Next tire change I'll try WD40 or maybe a silicone spray I guess.

#13 ·
Get tire lube.. It's cheap and you can get it on ebay.. Works great... T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.