05RR won't fire - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05RR won't fire

Hey all,

So my bike had been sitting for around a month when I went to start it. I left it with a full tank of 93 octane gas, and I had been driving it fine all winter. It cranked over, fired up for a second, then cut off. I smelled some fuel, and I've heard the fuel pump go as well. After that, all it would do was crank and not get a spark. The battery was fine, since it was cranking strong, just not firing up. I also tried the WOT 10 second thing, which yielded no results.
After trying to start it a few times, I waited until the next day to try it again, and the battery started to die out from me doing it so many times, so I put it on a trickle charge and charged it back up. Also, the engine start switch is on, just to eliminate that.

I've since checked the fuses, drained the gas, and removed the spark plugs to take a look at them. I've also changed the oil in it, since I had it taken apart anyway. The plugs appear to be fine, but I'm waiting on new spark plugs to arrive. I can't help but think that those probably aren't the problem..although has anyone else had this experience of the plugs looking fine but actually being the problem?

The bike is an 05 RR with 3,000 miles. I would imagine everything should be in fairly decent working condition, since it's such a "new" bike. I don't believe the bike is throwing any codes. The bike is bone stock, except it's been lowered an inch from the previous owner.

What should I start checking next? is there a way to check and see if it's getting a spark using a screwdriver? Or is there anything good to try and clean out the injectors? I'm pretty stumped right now, and any help could be appreciated.

Last edited by onefastRR; 03-22-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: I forgot a few details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had the same thing happen to me as well. I had sta-bil in the tank and everything.

have you tried holding the throttle 1/4 -1/2 open when firing? after a few minutes of hold this open while starting it finally fired.

2008 Orange/Black
MC Creations CF Side tank panels
MC Creations CF Rear Hugger
MC Creations CF Chain Guard
MC Creations CF Sprocket Cover
MC Creations Frame Plugs
Two Brother M-2
Rizoma Sport line grips
Rizoma Conical Bar Ends
LSL sliders
Stomp Grips
HR CF Tank pad
RC Fend eliminator
GC Flush mounts LED
Shorty rear turn signal LED
PCIII
Seat Cowl
-rear pegs
-heat sheild

R.I.P.
2003 Red/Black
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The fuel shouldn't be the problem whatsoever. I don't know why people worry about the fuel so much. It is still fine after a month or 2. Try cranking it with W.O.T

Bungle in the Jungle!!!

Beep Beep m' Beep Beep YEAH!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Tried both of those, it still wouldn't catch. I tried WOT and different variations of opening the throttle. Still not sure... I figured the gas would be fine too, it was really only sitting a month and a few days. It's not like it was the entire winter. Still waiting on the plugs...but doubt if that'll help much.

i'll keep trying and let you guys know.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So i just changed out the spark plugs...still nothing. I'm not really sure what to check next that would be easy. Is there a way I can check to see if it's getting fuel? I guess try starting it and take the plugs out, and see if it has gas on it? Or any way to check spark? I'm really stumped on this bike...it was running fine a month ago with no problems at all, and now it's just not starting, despite me changing practically everything simple.

Any advice?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

so,

I took apart the gas tank and tried starting it up, and I can see that the injectors aren't pumping any fuel out. I would imagine that all four injectors getting plugged up at once wouldn't be very likely, and there isn't even a drip of fuel coming from them. So, I suppose it could be my fuel pump. The problem is I can hear the fuel pump running. Could this be some sensor or computer issue?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
try disconnecting the battery for a day and put it back in that should reset the ecu if thats where the problem lies. it might help hopefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-NA6CE View Post
Women are mental terrorists. They bleed for almost a week and don't die. Of course they're crazy. Seriously. End of discussion.
R.I.P PHATSTUD

officially addicted to track
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I would imagine that when the battery died, and I took it off and charged it the whole day that would've pretty much reset the ecu. So I guess maybe that's not the case. That's a good check though, and I'll do it again just to make sure.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

another question:

if it's the back angle sensor, will that cause the injectors not to inject fuel? or will the bike not even try to turn over?

i've determined that they are just not working...and everything else is getting fuel up until the injectors.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

after dumping more injector cleaner into the gas tank, the bike is now starting. it's still running a little poorly, so I'm thinking that it could've been a fuel filter that was gummed up or something like that. anyone else have any experience it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page