2007 CBR600RR oil leak - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2007 CBR600RR oil leak

Hey every one I am new to the site and I have a question. I just got a Honda cbr 600rr on Saturday 27th and after driving it back home witch was 140miles, I stopped to take a rest at 100miles and saw that there was oil all over the right side of the bike. This included the right side of the tire, swing arm, lower cowling. I cleaned the oil the best I could and checked the oil witch was full. I then cont to ride the remainder miles home, after getting home I drained the oil and drained over 1 gal! So I am thinking that the oil on the side of my bike was due to over fill, could this be the problem? and what it the worst that could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Demented

Yes, overfilling of the oil can be a problem, especially if ridden for a long distance. I just saw a bike a few weeks ago where a guy put a hole the size of a lemon in his engine block from an overfilled engine. Does the bike sound like there is anything internally rattling around or a metal on metal noise? Any blue smoke from the exhaust? You could have gotten lucky with an oil leak preventing some damage from being overfilled, unless the leak if from being over filled.

Even if overfilled though, the oil wouldn't escape to get on the side of the bike. When you drained the oil, were the oil filter, drain plug, and filler caps all tight? Any damage to the sealing surfaces, or possibly for the oil cooler? If not, do you notice any area on the engine where oil may be leaking from?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Bike sounds great no blue smoke and every thing was tight, it did look like the seal for the oil pan was was wet didnt really see any other leaks but dont really no much about the bike yet. But I did start to smell oil burning. But you saw how much oil was in the bike right? How much is too much?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Demented

.5qt overfilled is enough to drop oil pressure and cause damage. If you drained out over a gallon, it's safe to say that the bike was at least 1.5qt's over full.

If the oil pan gasket looked compromised, it's best to just pull it off, clean it and throw on some new Hondabond HT. Pretty simple to do.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I am thinking about taking it to a Honda dealer and have them looked it over and see if they could tell me anything.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Demented

That would cost a pretty penny, since they would tear part of the engine down to get a look at the internals, since it's not a good idea to run an engine that is possibly compromised to find if there is an issue or not at the risk of causing more damage. You can count on at least 2 hours labour up front. It might be worth it to call up one and see what they charge to check out the PGM-FI all data/snapshot with the HDS, though I'm not sure how long that snapshot will store things. Could always find a DTC that could be helpful.

Last edited by Demented; 03-28-2010 at 09:30 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Do you think I could have got lucky and there is not any damage? I am also going to talk with the dealer that I got it from and say WTF!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Demented

You may have, but if you bought it from a dealership and it was like that, by all means take it to them and have them look it over. It's their job to check over bikes to make sure they're at least safe (which usually implies doing an oil change as well).
I wouldn't be surprised if some bonehead tech overfilled the oil in an attempt to cover up an oil leak.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ya I am going to talk with them for sure on Monday not sure what to say to them really seeing the bike has no warranty. Thank you for your help :) just have to wait and see what happens I guess.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Demented

Despite not having a warranty, they sold a product that was unsafe. The Bureau of Consumer Protection's can always help if the dealership wont work with you on their **** up.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Training Wheel Hero

2007 600rr oil leak

Hi there. i just bought a 07 600rr and it seems to be leaking oil. I'm a bit scared to start taking off fairings, but it looks like it's coming from the top left of the motor, and is dripping down the fairings, then to the ground.

i've heard the pulsar assembly is a typical culprit. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page