Driven Sprocket Issue - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Driven Sprocket Issue

I recently installed a 520 conversion kit from motomummy which included driven sprockets and ek mvxz chain. My issue was with the chain changing slack and being almost too tight in some areas but then almsot too loose in others and it seems to be getting worse then better. I was told to contact Driven racing which I am awaiting word back from them. I narrowed the problem to be the rear sprocket. No matter how many times I spin the tire, forward and reverse, when ever the driven symbol on the sprocket is between 11 and 3 oclock the chain is loose and whenever it's between 4 and 7 its tight again. I placed and object as close to the rear tire as I could and spun it around to see if the bearing might be off but it seems to stay the same all the way around. Tires only have 500 miles on the. The bike is an 03 with just over 7k on it. If anyone has any other insight it would be greatly appreciated. I've spun the tire checking it at the same locations in a row and even spun it around numerous times and came up with the same conclusion. Hopefully they wont make me tear it off and send it in while my bike sits on stands this early in the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Demented

Did you align the rear tire after putting everything back on? Don't trust those little notches on the swingarm.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Knee Dragger

I've encountered that scenario but it resulted from broken rollers on an old chain. Is it possible they sent you a 525 rear or maybe the wrong chain? I would double check the part numbers if they are stamped on the components. Just a thought

9.92 @ 135.00

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Knee Dragger

Dude, I have the same problem. Have had it for over a year now. The tension on the chain changes as you rotate the wheel from too loose, to super tight w/ no slack at all. It's not as bad when you put a new chain on, but as it stretches it gets worse.

So far, I've replaced the sprockets with new oem, new oem DID chain.. That didn't work, so I replaced it with a 520 driven kit, -1 +2, EK Mvxz chain. I rode it around but the EK chain stretched and got so bad I had to buy another chain.. This time, went with a DID 520 chain. Same problem.

I've replaced the rear hub, rim, and cush drive. I've taken it to a shop, and also had my buddies look at it. Nobody can figure it out. It's so frustrating. I don't know what else is left to do.. I've spent over a grand trying to fix this issue, to no avail.

I am leary of going on longer trips or rides far from the house because it gets so bad and I constantly have to adjust the chain once it stretches. So fed up with this issue.. Kinda glad I'm not the only one..

03 RR w/ 8500mi

Keep me posted bud, I'm out of ideas.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0 View Post
Dude, I have the same problem. Have had it for over a year now. The tension on the chain changes as you rotate the wheel from too loose, to super tight w/ no slack at all. It's not as bad when you put a new chain on, but as it stretches it gets worse.

So far, I've replaced the sprockets with new oem, new oem DID chain.. That didn't work, so I replaced it with a 520 driven kit, -1 +2, EK Mvxz chain. I rode it around but the EK chain stretched and got so bad I had to buy another chain.. This time, went with a DID 520 chain. Same problem.

I've replaced the rear hub, rim, and cush drive. I've taken it to a shop, and also had my buddies look at it. Nobody can figure it out. It's so frustrating. I don't know what else is left to do.. I've spent over a grand trying to fix this issue, to no avail.

I am leary of going on longer trips or rides far from the house because it gets so bad and I constantly have to adjust the chain once it stretches. So fed up with this issue.. Kinda glad I'm not the only one..

03 RR w/ 8500mi

Keep me posted bud, I'm out of ideas.
07-08 RR ftw :)

08 CBR600RR Graffiti
08 CBR1000RR
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Knee Dragger

How much play is there in the rear sprocket when you put it over the bolts to mount it? maybe its not centered on the rear drive properly. Its only takes less than 1/8th of in to make the chain go from tight to loose.

08 CBR600RR Graffiti
08 CBR1000RR
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
is the sprocket true?
what you are describing sounds like either a bent sprocket, or one that is machined slightly off center.

also be sure you are torquing the sprocket to the correct specs and in the correct pattern.

and I doubt the chain pitch could be the problem.
only difference between a 520, 525 and 530 is the length of the rollers.
the plates and spacing of the rollers is the same.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

The slack right now ranges from 1" to 1 3/4 which is over the spec. I alligned the rear wheel by turning the bolts evenly and the double checked it by using a caliper in a few different lacations and that was maybe .001-.002 off from one side to the other but a different spot would show the other way. The new chain I got with the kit is a 520 as it's marked on every few links and the rear is painted 520 as well. I'll take a look at it closer to see what else could be going on. Steve0 I read one of your forums but it just ended with no solution.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Moto GP Racer

remove the chain and spin the wheel.
see if the sprocket "wobbles"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
is the sprocket true?
what you are describing sounds like either a bent sprocket, or one that is machined slightly off center.

also be sure you are torquing the sprocket to the correct specs and in the correct pattern.

and I doubt the chain pitch could be the problem.
only difference between a 520, 525 and 530 is the length of the rollers.
the plates and spacing of the rollers is the same.
When I put it on I snugged each nut with a regular ratchet skipping around as anyone would when torqueing nuts. I didn't fully torque them the first time using the torque wrench either. I believe i adjusted it 3 times but I followed the torque spec from the manual for the final torque I just gradually got there. I do work at a metal manufacturing company so my next move might be to remove the sprocket and have it checked at work. I will also check it for flattness.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I just got back from the garage, I tried a few different tricks, first I checked to see that the sprocket is center on the hub. I did this by sticking a piece of paper between the hub and sprocket at the tight spot and again at the loose spot on the rear of the hub. Both would allow a single piece to slide in but not 2. So if it is off, it's off by a couple thousanths. Second which has me almost convinced it's the sprocket. I took a tape measure and laid it on the floor. Put the chain where it was tight and stretched the tape out and rested it against the chain gaurd just barely touching the links of the chain. I spun the tire half way around to the loose spot and there was apporximately a .020 to .030 gap between the tape and chain. I did this again with a piece of wood I had laying around. I got the same results. I then grabbed my square and verrified that the rear tire didnt do this as well. About the only thing I can do now is remove the sprocket and take it in to work to measure it's consistancy.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Knee Dragger

I think driven sprockets suck.. I had a simliar problem- i Had lots of vibration. I changed to vortex and my problem went away.

To many ppl complaining about the samething with tigh n loose chains.

Im curious to see what you find when you bring the sprocket to your work.

08 CBR600RR Graffiti
08 CBR1000RR
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So am I, I've heard alot of bad things about Vortex not lasting and being junk as well. I guess it's a matter of who you talk to. I think Driven is going to send me a new sprocket but I will be removing mine tonight or tomorrow and bring it to work as it's going to rain here for the next few days anyway. Lucky for me I've worked there long enough and held positions that have given me the knowledge and ebility to use any equipment we have to check it.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Knee Dragger

Driven sent me new sprockets too and it did the same thing lol.

08 CBR600RR Graffiti
08 CBR1000RR
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

aw man i just orderd there 520 kit hope mine goes good i have enough bad news right now.

mods.
aftermarket white and silver repsol fairings
diy frame plugs
asv shortys
fe
blacked out swing arm
blacked out motor
black factorey rear
factorey rotors with after market full float kit
barend mirror
911 smoked front signals
yosh rs5 slip
bmc filter
d3 grips black
d3 bar ends black
clear stomp grips
520 -1+1 super sprox (driven sucks)
crystal white head lights
white rim tape sitting on shelf
barracuda white tank protecter
fdb rearsets
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

for those looking for quality aluminum sprockets, Renthal is the best. hands down
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I'm going to check their replacement before installing. Removing the rear tire is not a task I wanted to do again for some time. Good luck with your sprocket set, I'll post how it checks before I send it back and their new one when I get it. Almost tempted to tear it down and take it to work tonight, I was going to take the night off and ride with some friends.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
for those looking for quality aluminum sprockets, Renthal is the best. hands down
yup i changed to renthal right after vortex and it was little better.

08 CBR600RR Graffiti
08 CBR1000RR
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Renthal is really nice but they are so expensive and I chew threw one in about 1.5k-2.5k (I clean and lube my chain about every other weekend with kerosene and 90wt gear oil which has worked for many years on many types of bikes). They are light and very bling, but that hard anodized aluminum isn't as hard as I believed and after going through 3 I'm done. Right now I'm riding a Driven with no trouble at all with it, I went with them this time as they were cheap and haven't heard any negative things about em'. Wondering what kind of mileage this Al will get. Sunstar was always really good in the dirt, will maybe try one of their sprockets on the roadbike next.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

you dont go with an Al sprocket for longevity
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Do you even own a sport bike? lol. IMO you're just paying for a name with Renthal. I dug their handlebars on my MX bikes though.

My Driven sprockets seem great so far. It seems like you're getting a little anal with the thousandths of an inch measurings. When oddly in your original post you say "loose" and then you say "tight" but you aren't giving any measurements. Off the top of my head chain slack should be between 1" - 1 3/8".. In yet another post, you said you're at 1 3/4" right? that's only a few 1/8ths over "spec" and if anything you want to err on the loose side.

**2006 with Repsol kit**
-Full Akra Ti exhaust
-PCIII
-Flush Mounts
-DIY O2 sensor eliminator
-DIY FE
-Tripage Hugger LED mod (SICK!)
-EVAP canister GONE (must-do for aftermarket plastics on CA bikes)
-6k HIDs
-1/+2 520 conversion
-Black chinese rearsets
-Tinted DB windshield

My $.99 DIY O2 (oxygen) sensor eliminator
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Then how did you come up with your qualifier for "best"? Best at wearing out the fastest?

**2006 with Repsol kit**
-Full Akra Ti exhaust
-PCIII
-Flush Mounts
-DIY O2 sensor eliminator
-DIY FE
-Tripage Hugger LED mod (SICK!)
-EVAP canister GONE (must-do for aftermarket plastics on CA bikes)
-6k HIDs
-1/+2 520 conversion
-Black chinese rearsets
-Tinted DB windshield

My $.99 DIY O2 (oxygen) sensor eliminator
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Yes Ive owned a few sportbikes, and I wrench on them weekly. So why would that even come into question?

Also, re read my posts about Renthal and aluminum sprockets.
"for those looking for quality aluminum sprockets, Renthal is the best. hands down"
"you dont go with an Al sprocket for longevity"

you are buying a quality made lightweight aluminum sprocket for your street only bike. why did you purchase aluminum in the first place?
steel greatly out lasts aluminum when it comes to sprockets, but it comes at higher weight.
this is why RACE bikes use lightweight ALUMINUM sprockets, get it?
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
i have a driven 520 conversion, i didn't notice it doing that. ill go check here in a few minutes and see.

R.I.P. PHATTY
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
they last a lot longer than the carbon fiber ones i've used in the past, so yes, i do use them for longevity thank you very much. in yo face!
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWish View Post
My Driven sprockets seem great so far. It seems like you're getting a little anal with the thousandths of an inch measurings. When oddly in your original post you say "loose" and then you say "tight" but you aren't giving any measurements. Off the top of my head chain slack should be between 1" - 1 3/8".. In yet another post, you said you're at 1 3/4" right? that's only a few 1/8ths over "spec" and if anything you want to err on the loose side.
When I was saying it was only a few thousandths of I wasn't complaining, thats just how far I believed it to be off when I checked it that was. I wasn't concerned with it being that far off. I work in a manufacturing plant where a few thousandths can cause issues for some parts. You are correct on the tolerance of the chain slack, but being 3/8 ths over is quite a bit if you ask me. There is a reason they say to keep it within that spec, I could see if it was barely out but that slack is pretty bad.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So last night I found the issue. I narrowed it down the slack to be caused by the placement of the sprocket, knowing it was as centered on the hub as anyone could get it. Like I stated above I used a tape measure where it was tight at barely touched the chain with a tape measure, I also used a piece of wood as well. Making sure it didnt move when I rotated the tire to the loose spot. When I did that I could easily see at lease a .030 gap, I work with shim stock alot and can eye gaps that size fairly close. I tore it off before work and brought the sprocket into work. I noted where the chain was tight and where it was loose by the location of the Driven symbol on the sprocket. All I had to use was a caliper to find that it was of .030. Cheap calipers can be picked up at most auto stores these days. I measured from the inside of the tooth to the center part of the sprocket. One side checked 1.625 the tight end checked 1.655. I talked to the owner at Driven and he told me that .03 difference was alot and that he had no problem sending me a replacement. I am deffienately going to check the new one before installing it. .030 isn't much but when it's pushing over a dozen links that much farther out from the other end of the sprocket it does make that much difference. I encourage everyone to find a way to check their sprocket before installing it. A few thousands difference won't be a problem but .030 on just 12 links does come out to be .36 which is almost equivelent to 3/8 an inch.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Knee Dragger

Good find man. Those tiny gaps add up on precision machines like ours. Sounds like that sprocket slipped by their QC team.

9.92 @ 135.00
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

ya, where I work our QC don't check many parts compared to how many we produce but there are procedure in place on how the operators are suppose to check them. Hopefully the new one will be here friday.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Owner told me he'd send one out 2-day air last wednesday so I should have had it friday. Called him monday, turns out he swears he sent it but couldn't find any records that he sent it. Told me he'd send out another one 2 day air so I should have it tomorrow which is over a week of waiting. This time he sent me an invoice statement with a tracking number......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page