water pump issues - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
IS GHEY FOR PHATTY!!!
 
superRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 3,356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
water pump issues

My water pump has stpped working... what runs it from the engine? And is this going to be a drop the engine job?
superRR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Demented
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It's powered by the oil pump shaft and is not a drop the engine job. If the oil pump is working, there shouldn't be anything preventing the water pump from working outside of it just being bad, or a clog in it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
IS GHEY FOR PHATTY!!!
 
superRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 3,356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
It's powered by the oil pump shaft and is not a drop the engine job. If the oil pump is working, there shouldn't be anything preventing the water pump from working outside of it just being bad, or a clog in it.
first the stealership said the thermo was not openig and now it's working fine but the water pump in not... is this something i can do by myself?
superRR is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:31 AM
World Superbike Racer
 
dcope17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dana Point, Ca
Posts: 2,120
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do the redneck test... Unhook the hoses then with the bike idling... pour water in one of the holes and see if if flies out of the other holes.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
dcope17 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Demented
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
How do you know the thermostat is actually opening? But yes, you can change the water pump yourself. It's not too difficult to do.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
IS GHEY FOR PHATTY!!!
 
superRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 3,356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
How do you know the thermostat is actually opening? But yes, you can change the water pump yourself. It's not too difficult to do.
going off what the dealership is telling me... bike was running at 270 degrees
superRR is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Moto GP Racer
 
SHORTSTACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: York, South Carolina
Posts: 3,752
Thanks: 48
Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
thats way to hot. do the red neck test. just dont run it to long like that. make sure you take the upper hose going to the radiator out. thats the return line i believe. and if it gushes out water, then your pump is or should be good. i would go with the easy stuff first, replace the thermostat.

R.I.P. PHATTY
SHORTSTACK is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 PM
Demented
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Well, if it got that high, you should replace your thermostat anyway since it's probably FUBAR'd.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
IS GHEY FOR PHATTY!!!
 
superRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 3,356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
thanks for all the info guys... it take the effen dealership a week and a half and $500 to figure anything out and everyone here 2 days... i'll keep u posted

oh and this all did start happening after a a pretty brutal low side last year to the right side of the bike... a tight turn plus a stiff front does not end well in gravel
superRR is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Demented
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by superRR View Post
thanks for all the info guys... it take the effen dealership a week and a half and $500 to figure anything out and everyone here 2 days... i'll keep u posted

oh and this all did start happening after a a pretty brutal low side last year to the right side of the bike... a tight turn plus a stiff front does not end well in gravel
Was only the right side of the bike damaged in the crash? The water pump is on the left side of the bike, so if there's no damage over there, it could also be possible that the oil pump drive chain/sprocket behind the clutch case on the right side could have become damaged, loose or the chain came off.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
IS GHEY FOR PHATTY!!!
 
superRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 3,356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Was only the right side of the bike damaged in the crash? The water pump is on the left side of the bike, so if there's no damage over there, it could also be possible that the oil pump drive chain/sprocket behind the clutch case on the right side could have become damaged, loose or the chain came off.
we checked everything on the right side... cosmetic and some wires we had to fix... oil pump is good... had a clutch case cover and there was no damage (although the gasket has a barely noticable leak in it, takes a week of sitting to get a drop on the concrete and only when leaned over)... the gilles rearsets did help protect some from too much... 90% of the damage was at the upper front
superRR is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Demented
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Probably is just a worn out water pump or something clogging it than. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to pull it off.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
IS GHEY FOR PHATTY!!!
 
superRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 3,356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Probably is just a worn out water pump or something clogging it than. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to pull it off.
that what i figured but know dealer time is that plus whatever they feel like adding
superRR is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Demented
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
At a dealership, they'll probably charge you 1.5-2 hours labour, plus shop supplies and a gallon of coolant. Somewhere between $150+$250, excluding the price of the water pump. Best to just do it yourself.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
IS GHEY FOR PHATTY!!!
 
superRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 3,356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
At a dealership, they'll probably charge you 1.5-2 hours labour, plus shop supplies and a gallon of coolant. Somewhere between $150+$250, excluding the price of the water pump. Best to just do it yourself.
agreed
superRR is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 12:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 541
Thanks: 1
Thanked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What year is it ?

Before you rip the pump off.. Have you had a good look at the top metal hose which is behind the right mid? (from the motor to the filler neck) It may me crushed, causing a restriction. The metal pipe is covered with a plastic sleeving that hides the damage. Worth a shot..
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
IS GHEY FOR PHATTY!!!
 
superRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 3,356
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
will take a look if i ever get the damn thing back
superRR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome