hoping it's a small problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hoping it's a small problem

Hey guys I hate to have one of my first posts being about a problem but here we are. First problem was my bike wouldn't idle once it was warmed up and would stale at stop signs and anytime i let off the throttle. From reading some stuff on here I found maybe I should try changing the anti-freeze. So I drained it and it was a wicked dark neon green, seemed like a funny color to me, and there wasn't much in there. Does anyone know the capacity for my bike, it's an '04 cbr600rr.

And the second, more worrisome problem. One day my battery just died, so I pushed it start and kept riding, later in the day it woudln't start at all. So I take the battery out and it won't take a charge so I assume it's no good. But I also tried to start the bike with the charger hooked up directly to the bike, without the battery installed. The bike just does a clicking/buzzing noise when I try to start it and the gauge cluster keeps lightin up as if I just turned the key on and does it over and over. I'm hoping it's just a battery, am I crazy?

Sorry for such a long message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
the color is mostly normal, capacity isnt huge, i dont recall tho

as far as it not starting from the charger, unless its got a start boost, i am not surprized, the clicking means theres not enough power on tap.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:29 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think maybe a gallon antifreeze cap.

And if your battery won't take a charge ( here's where your smart and figure out what's wrong )... replace it. Don't try to start your bike with a charger and no battery. What were you going to do... ride it down the street till the extension cord unplugged? ( yes.. .that's the part where you're not acting so wise )

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the responses, I'll just go pick up a new battery and hope that fixes it. And no I had no plan of riding it, it's called troubleshooting, I wanted to try and verify my thought that the battery was shot and causing the problem.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ford33 View Post
. . . And no I had no plan of riding it, it's called troubleshooting, . . . .
Just a suggestion: it's usually best not to use sarcasm when addressing those who are far wiser and trying to help you.

The starter requires the right voltage and amperage. Your charger provided sufficient voltage, but insufficient amperage, thus was unable to power the starter. In general, don't try to start or run the bike with the battery unhooked, as that may damage your voltage regulator, stator other electrical components. The battery acts like a reservoir.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Training Wheel Hero

regulater rectafire
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I just changed the coolant on my 04 and it was a dark green too. Where did you drain it from? You need to open up the radiator cap and drain it from the water pump drain bolt. There is also a drain bolt on the cylinder as wee, behind the headers, but I wouldnt worry about that one. I bought a gallon of 50/50 Prestone green coolant, and it didn't use up the whole gallon.

Bungle in the Jungle!!!

Beep Beep m' Beep Beep YEAH!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM
World Superbike Racer

ggac said it best however I was using sarcasm with the extension cord part. I'm just like having fun and painting a picture that no one would believe was your intention. I'm not raggin' on ya... its your bike, do what you want.

Battery hooked up... it will provide some power with the charger hooked up but if it isn't a charger made to start an engine, its not going to work anyway.

Second... I have seen so many people mess up their rides by trying things that don't need to be done. A battery charger puts out 12V DC but they use a rectifier to turn the AC to DC. Which basically puts the bottom half of the sine wave on top. So its DC but it pulses from 0V up to 16.97V at the tops. This gives you an RMS voltage reading of 12V.
I just say this cause, what if that 16.97V zapped your ECU... there goes $200.

Just an example.

Last edited by dcope17; 03-31-2010 at 07:34 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I changed the battery and now it fires up fine. Thanks for all the advice.

And I was being sarcastic because someone was being sarcastic to me, no harm no foul.

I drained it from the drain bolt on the water pump and the reservoir, like you said I read the one by the headers was un needed so I didn't bother. And it took less than a gallon of Prestone so it sounds like I'm inline with the rest of you.

If you can't tell already I am attempting to fix up someone else's mess with this and I have two quick questions. Where is the idle screw? I can't seem to find it.
And my turn signals come on but don't blink, but I can only find two wires that run to them instead of the three there should be, could this be the problem? But when I use my test light to check them, the test light blinks.

Like I said the guy I got this from was going to turn it into a "stunt" bike so it's kind of a mess. Thanks for the help.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Training Wheel Hero

the idle adjustment screw i believe is a little black thing on the left side of the bike by the engine cover. it should be hanging by a tube kind of thing... the knob thing is black and is like a rounded edge star type thing with 6-8 points. D:
are the turn signals the stock ones? or are they LED flushmounts?
if they look like they are just on all the time it can either mean that there were no resistors or a relay installed with them to control the blink rate, or they are wired incorrectly so that they are running lights only, but it is generally that there were no resistors added.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 PM
World Superbike Racer

Sounds like you have LED flushmounts. they require something to control the flash rate. Either a resistor of the same resistance as a light bulb wired parallel to the flushmout (one end on Pos. other end to Neg. ) Or there are plug and play things that tripage sells that simply plug right in.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

This is the link to the signals I got, they are flush mount LED's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I don't know if that link is going to work or not but the way it read I thought they were a direct replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page