need help removing triple - steering locked :( - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help removing triple - steering locked :(

I need to get the upper triple off my bike, but i cant unlock the stem.

Long story short, bike was stolen and was recently recovered. The key was not recovered with the bike, and the steering is locked.

I got the upper triple clamp bolts and stem nut off, so the triple is ready to go. If i try to pull it up though, it wont come off because of the steering lock being engaged.

The ignition appears to have been punched and it turns freely with a screw driver - but if i push down to try to unlock it, it wont unlock with the screwdriver.

I called my local honda dealer looking to get a key made, and was told "the only way to get a new key is to buy a new ignition, which comes with a new key" - this key will then not match any of the other keys. They referred me to a locksmith who they said they refer all their customers to who need a key. I called him, he said i need to bring the ignition in. I asked if he would come to my house and make a key, or if i can drop the bike off, since i cant remove the triple. He said either way he would have to take the triple off and his company wont disassemble motorcycle front ends anymore for insurance reasons.

I'm really stuck on how to get this thing off, and I'm getting very frustrated with the whole situation.... If anyone has any advice for me, it would be MUCH appreciated!

Also, I know posts about tampering with ignition/removing without key are usually looked at with a skeptical eye - and with good reason - but I have been a member of this site for a long time as well as being registered on 1000rr.net cbrworld.net numerous other forums and ebay with the same name...so please dont flame my thread with non-helpful crap

THANK YOU!

1993 CBR F2 - 95 F3 Motor - 98 carbs - Stage 1 Jet Kit - 520 Chain/Sprockets -1/+3 - 2005 1000rr front end - 2005 GSXR 750 Clipons and controls - 2005 GSXR 750 Tail section - Custom subframe - 2003 600RR Swingarm, suspension, and rear wheel - 2001 f4i gauges - HID lighting - Under engine dual exit exhaust - Super streetfightering it now....
View Swingarm and Gauges how to's here: http://www.fotki.com/cbrf23

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

NVRMND - figured it out ;)

1993 CBR F2 - 95 F3 Motor - 98 carbs - Stage 1 Jet Kit - 520 Chain/Sprockets -1/+3 - 2005 1000rr front end - 2005 GSXR 750 Clipons and controls - 2005 GSXR 750 Tail section - Custom subframe - 2003 600RR Swingarm, suspension, and rear wheel - 2001 f4i gauges - HID lighting - Under engine dual exit exhaust - Super streetfightering it now....
View Swingarm and Gauges how to's here: http://www.fotki.com/cbrf23

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Help

Same thing happened to me recently except the bike i still have.. How did you figure out on taking out the ignition with the steering locked on? My ignition turns freely. I took out the torx bolts, the other bolt was a bitch to take out bcuz of barely no space to unscrew it!! Anyways
If you could you pls send me a private message it would be helpful..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page