Akrapovic Exhaust Nightmare.. Beware? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Angry Akrapovic Exhaust Nightmare.. Beware?

So I started a thread about a week ago, about a nightmare full TI Akra EVO install on my '06. After 3 days, I gave in and took it to my shop. 3 hours and two technicians later, they called me and tell me that the pipe will NOT fit on my bike. I got this pipe off of eBay (for a fraction of the MSRP) "New In Box." I'm in the middle of working it out with the seller, we'll see what happens. Even if/when I get my refund, I'm still on the hook for shop labor..

I'm starting this thread because I've been exhaustively researching Akra systems. The part number of the pipe that I have is 104097. Upon googling "Akrapovic 104097" I found a PDF file on an Akrapovic website that shows the exhaust that I have, but the year listed on the PDF manual for the exhaust is 2005 ONLY, makes no mention of the 2006. But wait, I thought 05/06 were mechanically identical bikes, except for paint offerings? Can anyone clarify this?

I can only think of two possibilities: Retailers are marketing this pipe with the assumption that it will fit on 06s because of the assumption that 06s and 05s are the same--THIS pipe does not fit.
The other possibility is that this is for some other year bike. The strangest thing (to me) is that this pipe does not have the "hex" canister which strongly resembles the shape of the stock canister. Rather this one has the "conical" canister which I've never seen on an '06. All the 06 Akra exhausts I've seen have the "hex" canister. Again, DO YOUR RESEARCH on any exhaust system you are interested in, particularly if you have a bike that has overlapping model years.

**2006 with Repsol kit**
-Full Akra Ti exhaust
-PCIII
-Flush Mounts
-DIY O2 sensor eliminator
-DIY FE
-Tripage Hugger LED mod (SICK!)
-EVAP canister GONE (must-do for aftermarket plastics on CA bikes)
-6k HIDs
-1/+2 520 conversion
-Black chinese rearsets
-Tinted DB windshield

My $.99 DIY O2 (oxygen) sensor eliminator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
That sucks bad bro. Thanks for posting up. Which part specifically doesnt fit? Have you talked to an Akra rep?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 15 reviews
05-06 is the mechanically the same. i have many friends that have used 05's on 06's and the other way around. so how is it not fitting?

R.I.P. PHATTY

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

See photos for alignment problem. One collector set (the two into 1 that connects the headers to the mid pipe) will fit fine on either side of the bike, the other collector set will not fit on either side. These pictures of my bike were taken in my dealer's shop. I'm thinking this exhaust just wasn't made for these bikes. I'm a little confused about the canister as well, being that mine is NOT hex, and I believe I've only seen hex canisters on 2006s. The eBay seller is being helpful so far, so at least I have that going for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipefitment1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	14504  

**2006 with Repsol kit**
-Full Akra Ti exhaust
-PCIII
-Flush Mounts
-DIY FE
-6k HIDs
-1/+2 520 conversion
-Black chinese rearsets
-Tinted DB windshield

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Demented

Looks like you're installing it upside down. Notice the location of the spring tabs?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 80 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Looks like you're installing it upside down. Notice the location of the spring tabs?
make sure you have the header tubes installed correctly, and on the right exhaust port. then make sure you have the collectors installed the right way. hopefully that is just your problem. there is no difference between the 05 and the 06 model. i dont recall an oval design for the 05/06's. Akra did make an oval canister for the 03/04's. If you can't get it to fit you most likely have an 03/04 model.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i had this same problem on my 09 but i bought a yoshi slip on for an 08 and it wouldnt fit. same thing i thought about the 08 and 09 all the same besides the engine cowl now. i went to the dealer and they said that the headers on a stock 09 are the same as the 08 but the 08 pipe didnt fit. so i check the part number and the yoshi mid was for the 08 but it still didnt fit. so i imagine it is a different part.

GREENROCKET
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Guarantied it is not upside down. If you flip the collectors around, they will not fit onto the headers This is how it looks when the collectors are connected to the headers. But you raise YET another issue I ran into while installing this system.. I couldn't figure out why the spring tabs weren't lining up either.

I broke down and took my bike to my dealer. Long story short, he came to the same conclusion as me. This pipe will not fit on this bike, and we (well, he) was able to localize the problem. See the picture I have attached for explanation. One of the collector sets fits on both sides, perfectly. The other collector set doesn't fit on either side at all. The headers and link pipe all mount beautifully, save for this one bastard collector set. It's slightly larger and has an odd bend to it. But again, see the picture I have linked. Should there be a discrepancy like this? My dealer told me that if the two collector sets matched eachother, the exhaust would go together. The culprit is this stupid bent slightly too big collector set.

Added a second picture with a different POV of how off the collector set is from the link pipe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collectors.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	14513   Click image for larger version

Name:	pipefit1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	14514  

**2006 with Repsol kit**
-Full Akra Ti exhaust
-PCIII
-Flush Mounts
-DIY FE
-6k HIDs
-1/+2 520 conversion
-Black chinese rearsets
-Tinted DB windshield

Last edited by DeathWish; 04-03-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: adding 2nd picture
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:27 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
I would contact Akra and show them this, they will most likely send you the correct part and you will have your exhaust.. Easy solution.. T

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Demented

Make sure the header tubes are actually being installed in the correct order as well. It's a common issue since they fit in places were they shouldn't.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Make sure the header tubes are actually being installed in the correct order as well. It's a common issue since they fit in places were they shouldn't.
Yea, tried both headers in both spots. One is obviously a better fit. Going to follow Tripage's advice. We're sure that this is a wrong collector pipe. I'm still suspicious about the conical canister since I've never seen it on an 06 (the hex one is so sexy..) but as long as it all fits, I'm just going to call it a day. This has been an incredible PITA.

**2006 with Repsol kit**
-Full Akra Ti exhaust
-PCIII
-Flush Mounts
-DIY FE
-6k HIDs
-1/+2 520 conversion
-Black chinese rearsets
-Tinted DB windshield

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page