Wierd issues after extended rides - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wierd issues after extended rides

2004RR
4500miles
D&D Dual slip-on is only performance mod so far.

I tried to search but couldn't find anything pertaining to this issue. While riding in town things run fine I can wrap into it as hard as I want and all is well. Problem comes after extended highway trips at 65+mph, it slowly seems to loose power and responsiveness. If I slowly roll into the throttle it makes it rideable, but if I twist too hard into it it starts bucking and sputtering like fuel cut or cylinder dropping. I have checked all I can think of without randomly replacing things. I know it isn't plugs cause I have checked them and if it was it would do it more consistently. I have ran fuel system cleaner through it and still does it. Only seems to do this while under load, so thinking fuel pump or something in fuel circuit.

Only real history on this bike is that when I bought it almost 2yrs ago it had 722 miles on it...so I have no idea how long any kind of gas sat in it. When I got it it ran fine and I could redline it anytime anywhere with no issues, and I still can as long as I haven't been on the highway beforehand. Bike has been down on left side, landed on sliders and tail section. Pedestrian strolled out in front of me on main street in town...either slide it out or plow her...figured better to let the sliders do their job than risk more damage.

Looking for any ideas or thoughts that would help point me in a more specific direction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
awd-turbo

fuel filter???
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

If it was fuel filter wouldn't it cause more frequent issues other than only after longer rides? I will check it out...isn't it on the fuel pump?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:54 PM
World Superbike Racer

My only guess is your exhaust is running your bike lean at X throttle position and Y RPMs... Where both X and Y are your highway cruising positions.

I would rule out fuel pump cause its restricts rev line anytime you have a wide or mostly open throttle.

All just guesses here.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i would say the fuel filter too. reason i say it is the fuel fiter is because dirt build up as you ride causing less fuel to reach the system. when you dont ride the bike for awhile that dirt will settle and opening up the fuel filter.

GREENROCKET
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Was wondering about the exhaust possibly running leaner at highway speeds... but the weird thing is that I can jump on the highway and not have a single problem until further into the ride, for example I can jump on an on ramp and snap to well over 100mph with no issues, but if I try to roll into it after riding for a while on the highway its a struggle to pass a vehicle at some times cause it struggles to pull its own weight up a hill. And for the fuel filter if it had a restriction it would be noticeable from startup...I would think anyhow. Was really curious about maybe fuel or ignition electrical circuit that after longer exposure to heat starts having issues...?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:42 PM
World Superbike Racer

My idea is purely a guess. And in reality... I think its a bit of a stretch.
I think the fuel pump idea isn't correct. there isn't a lot of flow going through the pump... maybe 2 gallons per hour and I've never heard of them having heat related problems.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Demented

What RPM and gear are you in when you try to go WOT?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:25 AM
BOTM Winner 04/14

Garage
Maybe the coils? But it only does it at highway speeds, so I really doubt it. Did this start happening immediately after the exhaust mod or not?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 AM
Training Wheel Hero

well if it didnt do it before new pipe then it could be the air filter it may be to restricting
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

RPM/Speed/Gear doesn't matter, once it starts acting up it does it in any gear once I put it under load, it seems to be more common once it jumps over 5k. As far as if it did it on the stock pipe, not sure really as I never took any long highway trips on it before I dropped the new pipe on it, but filter is in good shape and stacks are clean. Big thing about this issue is that is random and only happens on longer rides, acts perfectly fine on short rides in town and short highway trips. I will be going back over everything under tank again this weekend to re-verify nothing pinched or crimped, but have done this several times since this has started happening so probably won't find anything new...hopefully I do so I can fix it and not have to worry anymore about longer rides.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Demented

Check that your 2nd injectors are working. They kick in at 4400RPM, so it seems like that could be the issue. They're the injectors on the top of the airbox.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

If it was the secondary injectors, what would cause them to either stop working or have issues? And how would I go about testing them if its only an intermittent issue that presents itself after longer rides? I now I could test each one for proper resistance, and since I don't have a service manual, what is the proper resistance range for them?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Demented

They could be getting clogged or over heating, or simply just not working and not presenting an issue when the bike is cold. You can lift the tank and check for them ticking with a stethoscope, or the ghetto way and pull them out of the airbox while plugged in and see if fuel comes out.
Ticking is good, no ticking is bad.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Do the secondary's actually push fuel at lower rpm or do they sit idle til called on? Will I be able to tell at idle or do I have to have it over a certain rpm to engage them?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw600 View Post
Do the secondary's actually push fuel at lower rpm or do they sit idle til called on? Will I be able to tell at idle or do I have to have it over a certain rpm to engage them?
They kick in at 4,400RPM with 10% or more throttle opening. Testing at anything higher will work fine.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Training Wheel Hero

outlaw600, did you ever solve your problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page