relay is clicking - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
relay is clicking

05 RR
when i turn the bike off, the relay would have a constant clicking noise. the relay is located inside the left mid fairing, there is 3 indentical relays that ive tried switching to see if it would make a difference, but it would still click. its the on the right side. im thinking it has something to do with the kill switch. when the key is turned into the on position and kill switch into on, the clicking would stop...the bike still starts up fine...fuel pump triggers...just want to figure out why the relay is clicking...need help please. thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

anyone????
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

what does it mean when the relay is clicking?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ease up turbo we will try to get you going in the right direction. Lets get some more info. The clicking occurs when the ignition is off and the killswitch is on? Your relay is clicking because the coil is receiving a pulse of 12 volts and the contacts are closing or opening depending upon the relays normal position. (something is telling the relay to open and close). If you dont have a service manual for your bike then I would suggest you make your life infinitely easier and obtain one. A manual can show you what this relay does and what its voltage source is. This info will point you in the right direction. I'm on an 08 rr so i'm not sure if i have those same relays in the same position. I will check the allmighty service manual tonight and see what we can come up with.

9.92 @ 135.00
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Demented

If is clicking, that means it's good. :P
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

thanks for the replys...the clicking occurs when the ignition is off and the kill switch is off. If the ignition is on, it would still click until i turn the switch to the on position than it would stop. Ive read on some other forum that the relay is for the kill switch.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Demented

If the relay is still clicking when the ignition and kill switch are off, it's getting power from somewhere and still switching.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 PM
World Superbike Racer

We need to know which relay is clicking... and what electrical mods or re wiring has been done to help assist better.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

im pretty sure its the relay for the kill switch. i installed HIDs and drove around and it started clicking after the ride. sorry for not mentioning that in the beginning, didnt think putting HIDs would effect it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
disconnect the HIDs and see if it goes away..a relay will click constantly when it gets a low voltage signal..some hid ballasts will actually hold a small electrical charge after it is turned off and that can be pullin through the relay(depending on how you wired it) causing your clicking.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Demented

If you're only "pretty sure", find out exactly which relay is clicking. $10 says it's the headlight relay.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Training Wheel Hero

The 3 relays on the frame rail under your left panel, should be as follows. Looking from the left to the right/front to rear, 1st is fuel cutoff relay, 2nd is fan relay, and 3rd is the power cutoff/ killswitch relay. Now they can be moved around on ya a little, but that is the way they should be. I can get you wire colors for each relay if you need, when I get home from work.. Im having a fuel cutoff relay issue that I cant figure out, so I have been around those relay alot lately.

Oh yeah get a manual, it helps tremendously!!! Got mine off ebay for 28.00 shipped and its the OE Honda manual.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

its the kill switch relay that was clicking. For the past two days it hasnt been clicking at all, so maybe its good? Thanks for the help everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page