HAveing battery troubles - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HAveing battery troubles

I am new to The Forum circuit, I have a 2005 RR and i am having trouble keeping a charge on the battery, If you pull the positive cable off when the bike is running it dies, what do i need to do? Is it the battery, or is it the bikes charging system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
That is normal will happen on cars to why are you pulling the + cable off the battery ?

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Too short to drag knee.

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Actually Moe, based on my experiences with cages, if you were to disconnect the both the positive and negative the alternator should keep the vehicle running. That is if that system is good.

Check to see if there is a date code on the battery, if its older than a couple years it might have bad cells/acid.

LRRS/CCS AM #521

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Knee Dragger

You can use a multi meter and put a probe on the negative post and on the frame and check for voltage leaking to ground.

9.92 @ 135.00
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Knee Dragger

I wonder if autozone's battery tester is compatible with our batteries?

9.92 @ 135.00
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
should be for the most part.

But did you leave your battery sitting for any amount of time? THey can be toast if you left it sitting uncharged for over one month. They can become weak after sitting for 3 months. Sometimes a good charger, a desulfating model can bring some batteries back, but some batteries, are pressureized gas recombination type, and if left along the pressureized gasses can find their way out over time and lead to battery problems.

If your battery is not sealed you could maybe have someone carefully crack it upen and test the acid or put more in there.

They have our batteries on ebay for @30 shipped, not OEM quality but close enough for the price. Good luck!

Current bikes:
2004 CBR600RR (daily rider, to be raced)
2006 CRF450R
1973 CG150 (off road, future restoration project)
1971 CB100 (being restored)
2006 BWS50 Zuma
Bikes of my (recent) past:
2004 Honda Ruckus, completely built, 55mph on the flats, 60 downhill and/or drafting
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2004 Yamaha R6

CBR600RR Mods:
BMC race filter
Jardine slip on
8987 PENSKE triple adjustable shock
STM slipper clutch
Power Commander III

Gear up or go home!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwood View Post
should be for the most part.

But did you leave your battery sitting for any amount of time? THey can be toast if you left it sitting uncharged for over one month. They can become weak after sitting for 3 months. Sometimes a good charger, a desulfating model can bring some batteries back, but some batteries, are pressureized gas recombination type, and if left along the pressureized gasses can find their way out over time and lead to battery problems.

If your battery is not sealed you could maybe have someone carefully crack it upen and test the acid or put more in there.

They have our batteries on ebay for @30 shipped, not OEM quality but close enough for the price. Good luck!
'05 should be a sealed battery. My '06 is. And 05 = 06 mechanically.

Wow 3 months out of a motorcycle battery? That sounds like a mechancical wet dream, as small as these batteries are. Mine is on a Tender 6 nights out of the week, if not 7. Not cause it has to be, but because that's how I am.

I don't understand why you are pulling the battery terminal off while the bike is running. From what I understand, the charging systems on bikes are quite weak. Something like .6 amps @ 5,000 RPM. Which means at idle the alternator isn't generating a damn with of any current, so your bike is probably still relying somewhat on the battery to run a lot of the electrical componetry. Further more, I just checked my shop manual, and there is a large warning saying NOT to disconnect the battery while the ignition is turned on, as you run the risk of damaging electrical components. Since your engine is running, the ignition is obviously on. So stop doing that.

**2006 with Repsol kit**
-Full Akra Ti exhaust
-PCIII
-Flush Mounts
-DIY O2 sensor eliminator
-DIY FE
-Tripage Hugger LED mod (SICK!)
-EVAP canister GONE (must-do for aftermarket plastics on CA bikes)
-6k HIDs
-1/+2 520 conversion
-Black chinese rearsets
-Tinted DB windshield

My $.99 DIY O2 (oxygen) sensor eliminator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page