Front brake after winter - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front brake after winter

So I pulled my bike out this weekend after being stored all winter. I check the front brake and the level will pull almost the whole way into the grip, its not tight at all. I tried pumping it a bit and still nothing, the reservoir on the top is still full as well. There was no damage or anything like that. Im not sure what this could be, any ideas?

Also its an 07 600RR, all stock brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
BOTM Winner 07/12

Garage
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyncka View Post
So I pulled my bike out this weekend after being stored all winter. I check the front brake and the level will pull almost the whole way into the grip, its not tight at all. I tried pumping it a bit and still nothing, the reservoir on the top is still full as well. There was no damage or anything like that. Im not sure what this could be, any ideas?

Also its an 07 600RR, all stock brakes
Time to bleed your brakes

08'RR
Akra Evo TI - Bazzaz ZfiTc - Acumen Gear Indicator - Yoyo Stay - Keyless Mod - Michelin Power Cup - HRC overflow - ECUnleashed
Yoyo Slipper - Galfer Lines - HRC Rear Res - HRC Throttle - Woodcraft Sliders - Woodcraft Rearsets - Servo Mod - Samco Hoses
BMC - Hotbodies - Brembo RCS19 - Penske 8987 & 20mm Valving - ASV Levers - Rk 520 - GPR Damper - EBC XC Rotors
Woodcraft Clipons - Gilles Chain Adjuster - R&R Subframe - PAIR Mod - Cox Rad Guard - MOYT 4 cell - Factory Pro Shift Star
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just changed fluid last season, what do you think the actual problem is?

Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Air in your brake lines...

'07 White/Silver 600RR
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:59 AM
BOTM Winner 07/12

Garage
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyncka View Post
I just changed fluid last season, what do you think the actual problem is?

Thanks for the reply.
Its hard to say for sure without seeing it. A whole bunch of things could create it but before you fear the worst bleed the brakes then move on from there. Thats the most common issue. Mine were soft when I pulled it out this year too, just bleed them and there fine. I thin it was because I stored it in a unit that wasnt climate controlled. It never got below freezing but it got into the high 30's low 40's for days, then when I wanted to work on it I brought my heater so i think all the heating and cooling effected it, just a guess, but mines fine now.

08'RR
Akra Evo TI - Bazzaz ZfiTc - Acumen Gear Indicator - Yoyo Stay - Keyless Mod - Michelin Power Cup - HRC overflow - ECUnleashed
Yoyo Slipper - Galfer Lines - HRC Rear Res - HRC Throttle - Woodcraft Sliders - Woodcraft Rearsets - Servo Mod - Samco Hoses
BMC - Hotbodies - Brembo RCS19 - Penske 8987 & 20mm Valving - ASV Levers - Rk 520 - GPR Damper - EBC XC Rotors
Woodcraft Clipons - Gilles Chain Adjuster - R&R Subframe - PAIR Mod - Cox Rad Guard - MOYT 4 cell - Factory Pro Shift Star
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Did you use brand new fluid? Buy some new fluid (you should anyways) and bleed them properly. You most likely have air in the lines. When your done, wrap a zip tie around the lever and keep it compressed during the night.

Bungle in the Jungle!!!

Beep Beep m' Beep Beep YEAH!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftn3rdon1 View Post
Did you use brand new fluid? Buy some new fluid (you should anyways) and bleed them properly. You most likely have air in the lines. When your done, wrap a zip tie around the lever and keep it compressed during the night.
I never understood the zip-tie methodology. If you have a good firm lever once you're done bleeding your brakes, and you make the rounds to make sure you don't have any fluid leaks in your system, you are good to go. You're going to be building a tremendous amount of pressure in the braking system for a long period of time (longer than any braking period) if you do this for 10-12 hours over night. I would bleed the brakes, tighten everything up and do the usual rounds to make sure you don't have any leaks. But spongy brakes like you're describing = air in the system.

**2006 with Repsol kit**
-Full Akra Ti exhaust
-PCIII
-Flush Mounts
-DIY O2 sensor eliminator
-DIY FE
-Tripage Hugger LED mod (SICK!)
-EVAP canister GONE (must-do for aftermarket plastics on CA bikes)
-6k HIDs
-1/+2 520 conversion
-Black chinese rearsets
-Tinted DB windshield

My $.99 DIY O2 (oxygen) sensor eliminator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page