Headlights are out! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Headlights are out!

Alright guys im having some problems with my headlights. the wire that goes into the kill switch area keeps coming off causing the headlights to go off. My buddy soldered the wire back on but just 2 days after he did it my lights went off again. We just recently installed HIDs but should have nothing to do with them becasue the wire had came loose before. So my question is what else can i do if the soldering does not hold? this is really annoying and i need some help I think this was a common problem becasue i seen it on the forums before but could not come across the thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
World Superbike Racer

If it's just coming loose you could try some sort of rubber grommet that tightens down on the wires, so they can't pull/vibrate out. Are they too short, and that's what's causing this?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteckelberg View Post
If it's just coming loose you could try some sort of rubber grommet that tightens down on the wires, so they can't pull/vibrate out. Are they too short, and that's what's causing this?
No I dont think that the wire is too short i think its just vibrating off.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
World Superbike Racer

You need to learn to solder. Heat the tab where the wire is being soldered to and put some solder to it. When the solder melts and spreads out ( not staying is a ball) then its ready. Melt some solder to the wire too. Make sure it absorbs the solder... don't just coat the outside. The put the wire on the tab and the gun on the wire. When it melts and looks smooth, not chunky. Pull the solder gun and hold wire still till it cools.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034

Last edited by dcope17; 04-06-2010 at 06:05 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
You need to learn to solder. Heat the tab where the wire is being soldered to and put some solder to it. When the solder melts and spreads out ( not staying is a ball) then its ready. Melt some solder to the wire too. Make sure it absorbs the solder... don't just coat the outside. The put the wire on the tab and the gun on the wire. When it melts and looks smooth, not chunky. Pull the solder gun and hold wire still till it cools.
ya my buddy soldered it for me so idk what he did but i need to do something..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:09 AM
World Superbike Racer

Yea, with it soldered correctly... you'll break the wire or the tab before you pull the soldered part loose.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

well update guys i took it to my friends dads motorcycle shop and he soldered it for me and guess what not even 10 mins of riding it came off again. He thinks its the HIDs making that wire heat up and come off the solder? i really dont know becasue when we put the HIDs in they where fine for over a month and all of a sudden this wire keeps coming off. So ihe soldered it again and he said if that comes off again we will have to hook that wire up somewhere else so it wont get hot anymore?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

well rode the bike today for a little bit back and forth to school then again back and forth to the gfs house and the lights are still working. Im really paranoid about riding at night cause i dont want them to shut off while im driving any suggestions? the guy at the shop thinks its my HID kit that is making that wire heat up and loosen the solder? The HID is the same wattage as stock so i dont understand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page