I need to brainstorm a little bit cause the 04 won't start. My bike is a "piece of work" that was a race bike and something I made street legal now. So, I've done my own handy work on the electrical side of things. With key on and engine kill on, the fuel pump works and the engine turns over but won't fire / start. I even tried bump starting in 1st and 2nd gear. Nothing. So that leads me to believe ignition?
Heres my sequence of events from the last time it started:
1. Installed exhaust and started bike to hear it. Ran for 2 minutes then shut it down and didn't touch it for three weeks.
2. Removed modified headlight which was connected via 3 wires (919 style headlight). Removed front trun signals. Removed gauge cluster and bas.
3. Wired new headlight and checked high and low beam - ok. Turn signals not connected no wires touching. Jumped BAS outside terminals to see if bike would start. No start.
4. Connected BAS with arrow pointing up and no start. Still same symptoms of bike turning over but no start. Could smell fuel after 3 or 4 tries of stating so I hooked up the battery tender overnight.
5. In the morning, battery fully charged, no start. BAS connected, headlight disconnected and gauge cluster conneted, tried to bump start in 1st and 2nd gear but nothing. Bike would not fire.
6. I also removed and installed the wires on the clutch a couple times and may have those backwards. But I don't think those have anything to do with ignition, just engine kill with kickstand. Kickstand down and bike in neutral all times tried to start.
7. Went throught the bike and checked all 10, 20 and 30 amp fuses. Am getting 12V to BAS, don't know what else to check. Maybe I've flooded the engine?
So, I'm at a loss and hoping some general conversation may trigger a thought in my head. I hate electrical and have no patience for it so you can imagine my weekend. I don't think I have any codes on the gauge cluster and can only think there is a loose pin on the gauge cluster or harness somewhere else.
Bike only has 10k miles on it. I can't imagine why it would start one day and then not the next. The only two things which can stop the bike from starting, on the front wire harness are the BAS and the gauge cluster?
Funny thing is if you remove the BAS and the gauge cluster, the bike has the same exact symptoms. It will turn over and try to start but there is no ignition! Can smell fuel.
Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is checking the main connections back to the ECM. Maybe I yanked something loose.