Bike won't Fire - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Bike won't Fire

I need to brainstorm a little bit cause the 04 won't start. My bike is a "piece of work" that was a race bike and something I made street legal now. So, I've done my own handy work on the electrical side of things. With key on and engine kill on, the fuel pump works and the engine turns over but won't fire / start. I even tried bump starting in 1st and 2nd gear. Nothing. So that leads me to believe ignition?

Heres my sequence of events from the last time it started:

1. Installed exhaust and started bike to hear it. Ran for 2 minutes then shut it down and didn't touch it for three weeks.

2. Removed modified headlight which was connected via 3 wires (919 style headlight). Removed front trun signals. Removed gauge cluster and bas.

3. Wired new headlight and checked high and low beam - ok. Turn signals not connected no wires touching. Jumped BAS outside terminals to see if bike would start. No start.

4. Connected BAS with arrow pointing up and no start. Still same symptoms of bike turning over but no start. Could smell fuel after 3 or 4 tries of stating so I hooked up the battery tender overnight.

5. In the morning, battery fully charged, no start. BAS connected, headlight disconnected and gauge cluster conneted, tried to bump start in 1st and 2nd gear but nothing. Bike would not fire.

6. I also removed and installed the wires on the clutch a couple times and may have those backwards. But I don't think those have anything to do with ignition, just engine kill with kickstand. Kickstand down and bike in neutral all times tried to start.

7. Went throught the bike and checked all 10, 20 and 30 amp fuses. Am getting 12V to BAS, don't know what else to check. Maybe I've flooded the engine?

So, I'm at a loss and hoping some general conversation may trigger a thought in my head. I hate electrical and have no patience for it so you can imagine my weekend. I don't think I have any codes on the gauge cluster and can only think there is a loose pin on the gauge cluster or harness somewhere else.

Bike only has 10k miles on it. I can't imagine why it would start one day and then not the next. The only two things which can stop the bike from starting, on the front wire harness are the BAS and the gauge cluster?

Funny thing is if you remove the BAS and the gauge cluster, the bike has the same exact symptoms. It will turn over and try to start but there is no ignition! Can smell fuel.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is checking the main connections back to the ECM. Maybe I yanked something loose.

Fire Coming Out Of The Monkeys Head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you tried starting it with the throttle wide open? I had to do this when I brought mine out from winter storage. It took about 5 tries, little bit of popping and sputtering, but it finally started and runs like new now. I think the injectors can get plugged up if you don't run it for a while.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Nope... but I'll give that a go this week. Would be awesome if that did it. But wouldn't bump starting it be doing the same thing?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
World Superbike Racer

I'm not sure, I've never bump started mine with the throttle wide open... I heard that full throttle does some sort of injector flush mode, I could be wrong, but I believed it and it worked for me.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Roger that... every option is a good option at this point. Thanks.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 PM
World Superbike Racer

If you unhook the BAS your fuel pump won't prime. If you're still smelling fuel then the bike is flooded. Wide open throttle, if no go, then pull out the plugs the push it in gear to pump out extra fuel.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Roger... will be able to work on it tomorrow and let you know if WFO works...hahaha!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page