Issue with modification - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issue with modification

Hey guys. I always seem to come here if I have bike issues; sorry about that. Anyway, I've been trying to install my lowering link all day; however, taking the stock link out is difficult. Although you should be able to just remove the rear bolt then the front bolt, there is an obstacle for the rear bolt. I unscrewed the nut for the rear and the bolt is sliding out. Unfortunately, the bolt will not come out the right side of the bike because of the exhaust pipe being in the way. You can see in the photos below. Anyway, I noticed a triangle link attached to the "dog-bone style" stock link. This sounds stupid but is that triangle link a stock part that is supposed to be attached there? I know lowering links come in triangle and dog-bone shape; but I see both. I was thinking of unscrewing the triangle as well to allow me to move the links down so I would have room to remove the rear bolt. Or should I be leaving the triangle alone? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Demented

Remove the exhaust. Problem solved.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Knee Dragger

maybe try compressing the suspension, or lift the tail and let the tire hang?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I think whoever did the exhaust work on the bike was retarded. I think the hex screw for the rear link is in the opposite way; so, it comes out where the exhaust pipe is in the way. I can't take the bottom part of the exhaust out since it's pretty big and attached at a lot of points. I'm going to get a bolt cutter and cut through the hex screw and buy a replacement hex screw at Home Depot. Now the tough part is finding a damn hand saw or some tool to cut it... the expenses and problems are slowly getting to the point where I'm getting sick of this bike...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Demented

Home Depot will not have the correct bolt to replace that if you cut it. I strongly suggest you do not. Undo the mounting points for the headers and remove it. Trying to save time and money by taking "shortcuts" is only going to cost you a lot more money in the long run. Either do it right, or take it to someone who can do it right. Also, the bolt is in the correct way. It may seem like it's a stupid thing for a bolt to be in the path of an object preventing it from coming out, but the engineers do that for a reason. What if the nut falls off? If it were in the other way, there would be nothing in the way that could possibly prevent it from completely coming out leading to a major failure before the rider has a chance to slow, pull over and stop.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you might need a spring compresser

04-Cbr 600RR
93-300zx Twin Turbo-578 Rwhp
92- Prelude Single Turbo-270 Fwhp~Sold
91-Pathfinder Turbo Diesel-220 Rwhp
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Knee Dragger

When I replaced mine I had the same problem! Its easier if you have two people to do this. What I did to get that bolt out is take the nut off the bolt that goes to the swingarm. Then have someone lean the bike over on the kickstand till the rear tire comes off the ground. Then pull the bolt out that goes through the link on the bike side then the one that goes through the swingarm and that whole triangle thing drops down enough to pull the bolt out. But with the setup you have ( bike stands and jack) you should be able to do it your self.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't cut anything, remove the exhaust or compress anything either. Remove the other 2 bolts in the triangle and drop the third "backwards" bolt down and remove. it.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I looked everywhere at Home Depot (just in case) for a hex bolt the same size as the one in the link. They don't have one for some reason. Anyway, I lifted the bike and the exhaust pipes are won't budge and are firmly in place. I'd literally have to take a big part of the bike apart from the looks of where everything is attached.

I tried to unscrew the top hex bolt from the triangle with the ratchet but there is barely enough clearance to move more than an inch; and when it is in there TIGHT. I can't move it and have no room to give it impact with my foot. I am going to try to get a hold of a power drill and to unscrew it.

So far, 3 hours of working on the bike, struggling to unscrew the nuts on the bolts, and half an hour of profanity with thoughts of smashing the bike with a sledge hammer.

A shop quoted me $115 for it. BS...

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobydiahpark View Post
I looked everywhere at Home Depot (just in case) for a hex bolt the same size as the one in the link. They don't have one for some reason. Anyway, I lifted the bike and the exhaust pipes are won't budge and are firmly in place. I'd literally have to take a big part of the bike apart from the looks of where everything is attached.

I tried to unscrew the top hex bolt from the triangle with the ratchet but there is barely enough clearance to move more than an inch; and when it is in there TIGHT. I can't move it and have no room to give it impact with my foot. I am going to try to get a hold of a power drill and to unscrew it.

So far, 3 hours of working on the bike, struggling to unscrew the nuts on the bolts, and half an hour of profanity with thoughts of smashing the bike with a sledge hammer.

A shop quoted me $115 for it. BS...
Of course Home Depot wont have a special sized OE Honda part.

If a shop quoted you $115, that's only for an hour of labor. Really, I don't mean to offend here, but if you are dumbfounded at how the headers wont come off, assuming you never tried to remove the mounting bolts on the engine and brackets), messing with the suspension link is far above your head, and for your safety and the safety of the bike, it's best to suck it up and spend $115 for a shop to install it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Of course Home Depot wont have a special sized OE Honda part.

If a shop quoted you $115, that's only for an hour of labor. Really, I don't mean to offend here, but if you are dumbfounded at how the headers wont come off, assuming you never tried to remove the mounting bolts on the engine and brackets), messing with the suspension link is far above your head, and for your safety and the safety of the bike, it's best to suck it up and spend $115 for a shop to install it.
I know that Home Depot probably didn't and that I'd have to look online for special bolts. I did take a look and they had the right size for the bike there as a demo hex bolt to test nuts on. Yet, they didn't have it in stock. :(

Anyway, I realize that I don't have enough experience with working on my bike; however, I was hoping to try to do things on my own to learn how to work on bikes. However, finals week is coming up and I'm getting annoyed with not being able to ride. I'm going to just return all the tools and spend that money on getting it done at a shop. I'll try to negotiate it for $100 since they quoted me 1.5 hours for the job; I'm in Tallahassee where things are cheaper. It's just frustrating that I see other CBR600RRs having lowering links installed by just unscrewing 2 bolts and merely replacing the link in about 5-15 minutes. I guess the pre-2007 models don't have the same issues as mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page