Licence plate tag light blinking like a strobe. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Licence plate tag light blinking like a strobe.

Ok first off...i have a much larger problem at hand, which i am going to start a different thread later on, cuz its a long story... but im just going to start with the little problem first and see if i can possibly get some help or answers as to why my tag light keeps doing this.
I have an 09 cbr 600rr. got it brand new in july 09 and i have 7500 miles on it now. the bike has had 2 different fender eliminators put on it since the original stock fender. the first kit was put on by a local honda dealership, the second i wired myself. Both of these kits i got, from 2 different manufacturers, the license tag light will run fine for about a month or 2...then all of a sudden it starts blinking like a strobe at completely random patterns...and sometimes even shuts off completely while riding for a while. I checked fuses...nada...checked the wiring and even used different connectors and re did them to make SURE that i was getting a good connection and it didnt change a thing...my brake light and turn signals and tail light are all fine...its just the tag light everytime...any suggestions? thanks!

Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
1/8" custom cut reflective rim tape from tapeworks
Smoked Integrated undertail tail light and blinker kit
Armor fender eliminator RR plates
Smoked out double bubble windscreen
Relocated Licence plate
Michelin Pilot Power 2ct front and rear tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeNReepRR600 View Post
Ok first off...i have a much larger problem at hand, which i am going to start a different thread later on, cuz its a long story... but im just going to start with the little problem first and see if i can possibly get some help or answers as to why my tag light keeps doing this.
I have an 09 cbr 600rr. got it brand new in july 09 and i have 7500 miles on it now. the bike has had 2 different fender eliminators put on it since the original stock fender. the first kit was put on by a local honda dealership, the second i wired myself. Both of these kits i got, from 2 different manufacturers, the license tag light will run fine for about a month or 2...then all of a sudden it starts blinking like a strobe at completely random patterns...and sometimes even shuts off completely while riding for a while. I checked fuses...nada...checked the wiring and even used different connectors and re did them to make SURE that i was getting a good connection and it didnt change a thing...my brake light and turn signals and tail light are all fine...its just the tag light everytime...any suggestions? thanks!
I know you said you checked the wires, but it really just sounds like a loose wire. That is the only way I can think that it would do random patterns after riding for a bit with the vibrations. Is your other issue electrical, because I suppose that could be part of the problem. Post up some pictures of all of your connections if you can.

2008 CBR 600RR Graffiti
TBR , Tripage, Gilles, ASV, Woodcraft, Rizoma, Watsen
Install Videos:
IT Install - From Stock
IT Install - From Aftermarket
Exhaust install 07-08 (possibly 09-10?)
LED Peg Install
HID Delay Install
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Solve all your issues buy a decent product where www.tripageled.com

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Demented

Gotta be a loose connection, or a bad bulb. Is the tag light LED or a regular bulb with filament?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Triple checked the wires...in fact my buddy who i ride with is a mechanic at meineke and he is even confused by it. the random strobing happens whether im riding or standing still so even though somehow the vibrations MAY be affecting it a little...its not the main cause of the problem...and the connection is good because its wired straight from the tail light wire, and everything else isworking just fine. So other than the light just going bad?? i cant think of anything else really!

K&N Air Filter
Relocated Licence plate
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Gotta be a loose connection, or a bad bulb. Is the tag light LED or a regular bulb with filament?
I thought that about the bulb as well, but he said that he has had two different FEs made by two different companies, so say loose connection.

Also +10000 for tripage's stuff (even though it doesn't seem like it is the FE itself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeNReepRR600 View Post
Triple checked the wires...in fact my buddy who i ride with is a mechanic at meineke and he is even confused by it. the random strobing happens whether im riding or standing still so even though somehow the vibrations MAY be affecting it a little...its not the main cause of the problem...and the connection is good because its wired straight from the tail light wire, and everything else isworking just fine. So other than the light just going bad?? i cant think of anything else really!
I don't know if this is possible, but maybe the gauge of the wire for the tail light is not big enough to power the tail and the tag light properly.

2008 CBR 600RR Graffiti
TBR , Tripage, Gilles, ASV, Woodcraft, Rizoma, Watsen
Install Videos:
IT Install - From Stock
IT Install - From Aftermarket
Exhaust install 07-08 (possibly 09-10?)
LED Peg Install
HID Delay Install

Last edited by StealthscrapE; 04-19-2010 at 09:31 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Whoops my bad forgot to mention...the tag lights are LED...& i dont think that my other problem is electrical. I believe its my second fuel injuector or fuel pump because the bike is bogging down really bad, like i cant even clutch the bike up in first gear bad...but other posts ive seen with related issues say it could possibly be map sensor among other things...this problem i will start a new thread and throw the whole story down so that anyone can help will have as much information as i can possibly give them.

K&N Air Filter
Relocated Licence plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page