PLEASE HELP!!! Newb here and so confused!!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question PLEASE HELP!!! Newb here and so confused!!!

Ok, so I bought a 2004 CBR600RR last night with 21k for $1500, but it needs a little bit of work. Here's a little history on the bike...it was stolen from the previous owner twice, the first time he got it back exactly how it was stolen, but the second time it had a little damage. The ignition has been popped on it and one of the rotors in the front is warped. Get a new rotor, put it on, piece of cake. What I am confused about is the ignition. When I was looking at the bike, we were able to touch two wires and heard the fuel pump prime and were able to start it right up. We rode it for a little while to check everything out, all seemed great. Well...I got it home touched the two wires together annnnnnd no fuel pump priming. The bike will crank forever, but it won't start because of no fuel. Any idea what could have happened to not cause the fuel pump to prime? I have looked everywhere for solutions, but it seems like everyone's situation is different and I wanted to explain mine and what was happening. It went from working great one minute to not working at all the next What's left of the ignition is the little plate under the key switch so all wires and diode and everything are still intact. Just so you know, I am pretty mechanically savvy, but this is my first street bike so I'm still learning all of the parts and where they are (wiring is my weakness though, so please be detailed if you don't mind). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS A LOT!!!
Dustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I would start with the obvious and make sure the kill switch is on If it is, then is, check all of the fuses. Start with the fuel pump relay which sits on the left air tube underneath the fairing. It is the first relay closest to the front of the bike.

Question: When you do turn the bike on (howeer you do that? Does the head lights come on, and the gauges light up?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Knee Dragger

Depending on where you live and if you know people inside the motorcycle business have a shop check it out. If you know people it could be really cheap but if you don't it could run some major bank! But with that kind of situation where you don't really know whats happened to the bike and if it has been stolen twice!? id for sure get it checked out or have a buddy with good bike knowledge of that type of bike look at it. Just a suggestion.

2006 Honda CBR600RR Red and Black
She is known as Roxanne.

Upgraded chain and sprocket
DDM HID Kit 6000k 35w
Vortex Frame Sliders

"The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

"It's been one of those dur da dur days hasn't it?"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it...

tyjack09 - The kill switch is definitely on when I try this and I guess I should have told you that I have checked the fuses, my fault. The fuses are good. I can start with the relays, but how exactly do I test those? I'm sorry, wiring just isn't my thing, but I am learning a lot on here and want to get better with the wiring. Thanks again!!!

RedRoxy600 - Unfortunately I don't have any hook-ups around here and don't want to pay what retail costs are at these shops. I am pretty mechanically inclined so I would really like to get familiar with these machines and what I'm working with, which requires me to do the work. Luckily there are a bunch of really cool, knowledgeable people on here to help out! Thanks for the input though!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

tyjack09 - Do you think it's possible I shorted out the ECM??? I am praying that I didn't and that it's just a connection or relay somewhere, or possibly a shot diode on the ignition disc? Oh, and yes, everything else comes on including lights and gauges, just no fuel pump Thanks again!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Training Wheel Hero

It may be possible you fried the ECM. The only way to check this is to find someone with a 03-04 and try their ECM. If it still doesn't work, check the fuel relay. Another fuse to check that is commonly missed is the one that sits under a relay near the battery box. That fuse is usually the first to pop when things go haywire. You have to pull the relay out to actually access that fuse.

As far as how to check the relay's, I don't want to tell you something and be wrong. I would search the troubleshooting forum, or the How to forum here and see what you can find. How this all helps and good luck.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I will add one more idiot check because you never said anything about it........ Is the kickstand down ? The bike will not start/run even if you have the clutch pulled in while in gear. Just asking. Good luck brother.

"It only hurts till you die"

"No, that really wasn't just a hint it was a suggestion"

"Crash"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Forgot about that one.... Yea. funny story... Just bought my 04 brand new. Stop at a gas station on the way home and when I go to leave the bike wouldn't turn over... I was freaking out. Ended up calling the dealership while sitting at the gas station and the guy laughed and said. If you are in Gear and the kick stand is down, it will not start. I look down and sure enough... That was my major newb moment.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

tyjack09 - I ended up getting a volt meter on my way home last night ans started testing stuff. Luckily the diode was one of the first things I tested and it was shot. I had bought some a couple days ago, so I soldered a new one in and viola! Flipped the switch and the fuel pump kicked right in! I was so glad to find out it was just a diode and not anything worse. Thanks for all of your help though man, I really appreciate it! Just out of curiousity...do you know anyone with a service manual for an '04 that could email it to me or something? I am having a hard time tracking one down. Thanks again!

fteac70 - haha, thanks for mentioning that man, but I had already seen it in another thread and made sure that wasn't my issue. I appreciate the input though!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Glad to hear you found the issue with the bike brother. Glad I could help in whatever way I did.

As far as the manual. I do have one but it is huge. Emailing it would be an issue because of the size of the document. How I found it was I went to google and just searched for it by typing in 2004 CBR 600RR Service manual. The first link that comes up has it in ADOBE format and you can download it. It may take a while but I got did it and the manual is great. I am actually in the process of printing it off... (Over 500 pages)

Again, glad you were able to find the issue. Now go and get yourself a true ignition switch so you can fix the bike the right way.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Sweet! I tried that and they all cost money, but I will look a little deeper, thanks!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyjack09 View Post
Glad to hear you found the issue with the bike brother. Glad I could help in whatever way I did.

As far as the manual. I do have one but it is huge. Emailing it would be an issue because of the size of the document. How I found it was I went to google and just searched for it by typing in 2004 CBR 600RR Service manual. The first link that comes up has it in ADOBE format and you can download it. It may take a while but I got did it and the manual is great. I am actually in the process of printing it off... (Over 500 pages)

Again, glad you were able to find the issue. Now go and get yourself a true ignition switch so you can fix the bike the right way.
good luck man I have a printed manual and its bigger than a full size bible..

eat sleep ride drink... F*ck, ride again.
“Reason 2 be a whore: Surviving by simulation, versatility, and shamelessness.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRida600 View Post
You wanna be a whore you gotta talk to our pimp (srtechness) and see if he will put u on the strip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Caution: Beware of whores.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by helghast7 View Post
haters gonee hate lol
doesnt matter what they do, we'll die in style looking badass
R.I.P Phatstud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page