Rectifier issue? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rectifier issue?

So my bike (03 RR) hasnt been charging properly lately, and not starting etc. I just went out and took some voltage readings and the battery is at 13.4V @ idle and 13.2V @ 5,000 RPMs. The battery is about a month old so its probably not the battery. Im not sure why the voltage drops as I rev but I double/triple checked and the readings are correct.

Can anyone help by telling me if these reading mean I need a new Voltage Regualtor/Rectifier?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
World Superbike Racer

Yep... new regulator time.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:59 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
get the 05 reg....it's got a redesigned mount to keep it away from the headers

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

k thanks, i ordered an 06 rectifier from the marketplace here, ill let you guys know what happens when i get it
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

ok so i installed the new rectifier and changed the battery yet still the same issue. when i put the bike away after riding for a while the battery is generally around 11.6-12 V. and at idle its around 13.6 and at 5000 rpms it drops to 12.6. I also noticed that when the bike is idling in neutral with the high beam on, the neural light will flicker along with the headlights. but when i turn off the highbeam then it stops flickering. I have HIDs, so is it possible that the HID's can be causing this? however ive had HID's for 2 years and am just noticing this now. or is it the stator?

thanks
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 11:27 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
hmmm, maybe ur generator. if you know someone who can take reading of the whole charging system you can narrow your problem. check your wire harness for any corrosion, just make sure everything is clean
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

checked wiring harness, no corrosion; what readings do i need to take?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i got mine tested at the dealer, i only checked my battery voltage
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

ok so for the last couple of days ive been riding around with the high beam off, and this seems to help fix the problem. now when i park the bike after riding the battery is at 12.6V and a few hours later drops to 12.2 and holds steady there.
However the thing is that ive been riding with my highbeam on (HID's) all the time for the past 2 years and had no issues so why all of a sudden its causing issues now? even though i have a brand new battery

thanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Oh man, I had so many problems with the charging system on my 03. I bought a new battery, swapped out the rectifier and regulator from an 05 and it still didnt fix it. The dealership said Id have to pull my "flywheel" and replace the entire charging system. probably around 600-800 bucks.

I said F%^& that and bought a battery tender, just plugged it in after every ride and it would be good to go for the day (unless it was hot out, haha)

CAPTIVE SPACERS ARE SOLD OUT...Again

Neek - SMUSA #143
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotrip View Post
checked wiring harness, no corrosion; what readings do i need to take?
Firstly please note NEVER start the bike then disconnect the battery - you will likely blow something up

First off disconnect the battery negative terminal and then check its voltage. Should be ~13VDC when fully charged, if its under 12.4VDC then hook it up to a battery charger until fully charged then re-test, if still below 12.4VDC then take it in to a shop and get it load tested.

Reconnect the negative terminal and start the bike. Now check the DC voltage at around 5,000 rpm with the high beam on, should be ~14.2VDC but below 15.5VDC.
If below 13.5VDC then read on. If above 15.5VDC then you probably need another regulator and a new battery. (worth getting it checked by a shop at this point cause batteries and regs aint cheap)

So, if you have less than 13.5VDC with the bike running you are not charging the battery properly hence you cant start, pull off the left hand side mid fairing under that you will find a plug with 3 yellow wires in it, disconnect it and check the resistance between those wires, it should be between 0.1 Ohms and 1.0 Ohm If its not then you need a new alternator (generator). If it is then you likely need a new regulator.

Other things to check before handing out money:
Check the AC voltage coming out of the regulator with the bike running, should be under 1VAC. If its not then new regulator.

With the ignition key in the OFF or LOCKED position then disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and place an ammeter between the negative terminal of the battery and the negative wire. This will allow you measure your leakage current which should be no more than 2mA, if its is then you need to disconnect the regulator and re-check. If its still over 2mA then your problem is most likely with the ignition switch otherwise - new regulator.

Hope all this helps and makes sense. I'm happy to clarify any points you are a little unsure on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page