Possible Blow Piston.....Video Inside - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible Blow Piston.....Video Inside

Hey Guys just after a bit of advice, last proper time i went out on my bike it started, ticking over poorly as if it was misfiring (cut out a couple of times) and stuggled to start. As i was a fair way from home i had to soilder on, the bike started back up (eventually) but was still riding as if it was misfiring. Now when i got home, i investigated further. My bike was no longer struggling to start but had developed a ticking,clicking noise coming from somewhere and was still sounding on tick over as if it was misfiring. Now i did all the basics checked the oil put fresh fuel in (as it was near enough empty anyway) ran some injector cleaner through it. Now it seems to be ticking over slighlty better allthough it still sounds as if its misfiring, but the clicking,ticking sound is getting worse! Couple of my mates said it maybe the cam chain, so i took it to my local delaer who agreed it was the cam chain, so i booked it in to be repaird a couple of days later i got a phone call saying theyve had a look at my bike, the cam chain is fine but its blown piston number2? I collected the bike today, rode home with the clicking sound clicking away! Theres no excess smoke coming from the exhaust its riding fine gear changes are fine. I personally dont think my dealer has had a good look at it as they orignally thought it would be the cam chain approx an hours labour they told me, and with the cam chain being fine they basically told me they didnt want the job...........Probly as it means a full strip down if it is a piston, and with summer around the corner (im from Uk) there more intrested in making money off easy jobs, EG Tyres,new chains,MOT's etc etc and didnt want the hassle of stripping my bike down to find out what the actuall problem is. Ive got a mate coming to look at it tomoro and give me his opinion but heres a video.
Any help at all will be apprciated!
The Camera does make it sound a little muffled unfortunatley but you can clearly hear the knocking! The bike is a 2004 with 18k on it, it had a major service at 17k as per the handbook and allthough i do ride it hard i have never missed a service interval only the best Oil and Filters get used and i allways let it get upto temperature before giving it anystick.
The only thing i may have messed up on was, i got a bit giddy on are motorway on the way back from my rideout, and had the bike flat out now i remember looking down at the speedo and the shift light being on and rev counter all the way round, i had it pinned for a couple of miles or so......im now thinkin if ive been in 5th and forgot to change to 6th?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNeYED4q8iA

Last edited by Simpy; 04-24-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 03:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i'm not too fond with motorcycles myself just yet but i think it's def not a blown piston. if i'm not mistaken it wouldn't even run lol. you may have bent a valve which is causing the ticking sound. but that's one nice dub you have in the backround i have a 337 wish you luck

04 cbr 600RR sold
2010 cbr1k-pita
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It surely doesn't sound good, but its hard to put a finger on it. It does sound hurt though. Holding it wide open against the limiter for that long couldnt' have been good on it. it does sounds like the topend though.

and your blinker is on. . .

Last edited by murphdog1411; 04-24-2010 at 04:03 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Demented

1) Start your bike
2) Pull your fairings off
3) When the bike gets "warm" which is should be by the time you get the fairings off, with a squirt bottle full of water, spray each header tube separately. Look for the one that is not as hot as the others.

That will just double check that there is an issue with the #2 cylinder. From there, you should tear into the engine Pull the valve cover off and check that the valve for the bad cylinder are within spec. After that, pull the head off and inspect the valves and cylinder wall.

Before actually tearing into the engine though, it might be best to just remove the headers, and take a look inside to see if the exhaust valve is bent. (headers have to come off anyway when removing the head, so it's an easy shortcut to diagnosing the problem). Also remove the spark plug for the bad cylinder and check that the end has not broken off.

If that is fine, it's all to removing the head and replacing what ever is damaged, or removing what ever foreign object made it's way into the engine. Hopefully it's an easy fix, but sadly it wont be too cheap unless you do it yourself.

Also, don't ride the bike anymore until the problem is fixed. You can cause more damage to the bike that way. It sounds like a bent valve to me.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Knee Dragger

dont know too much about bikes, but on a car that would sound like a spun bearing
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:01 AM
World Superbike Racer

Check for a loose spark plug.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

sound like a bent valve to me.......

GREENROCKET
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Knee Dragger

Check your carburator belt! Just kidding!

I wanna be friends with slaps!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie04RR View Post
i'm not too fond with motorcycles myself just yet but i think it's def not a blown piston. if i'm not mistaken it wouldn't even run lol. you may have bent a valve which is causing the ticking sound. but that's one nice dub you have in the backround i have a 337 wish you luck

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Itll be a friend of a friend whos going to sort it so hopefully not to expensive. Hes coming round later to have a look....or listen lol

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
my honest guess is you dropped a valve on the intake side of things and it is slapping into the piston. only way to really tell is a tear down and look at the top of the piston for signs of damage from slapping into the valve. just hope you didnt damage the top of the piston from riding it.

2008 Liquid Silver CBR600RR
Purchased 10/25/2008, Totaled 10/28/2008 by the dealer
New 2008 Liquid Silver CBR600RR....delivered 10/30/2008
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 11:16 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

sweet car man love the wheels

04 cbr 600RR sold
2010 cbr1k-pita
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

That sounds like a valvetrain problem.. If you had a hole in the piston you would know about it. Doesnt sound like its misfiring. I would check compressions, timing, valve clearances first. When the service was done, did they check valve clearances ?

Whats in the dub 150TDI?

D

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-26-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page