constant rumbling at 150km/h - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
constant rumbling at 150km/h

Hi guys,

I took her out for a ride this weekend, and was cruising on the hwy at about 150 km/h (yes its a little above the limit, thats not the point) and was revving in 6th at about 8000 rpm's. There was a constant rumble for about 2 seconds, then nothing for 1/2 a second, and it would continually do so, but only at that speed and rev's.

I changed the fairings, levers, and clutch side grip but i tried quickly and failed to put on the throttle grip, all 2 weeks ago. The only thing i did while trying to install the throttle grip was take off the grip, try and get the cables off the old plastic piece, but i was tired, and it wasnt working for me, so I stopped and put the old one back on

So, I also have a rs-5 slip-on and power commander, and no other mods. Havent touched the mapping nor the slip on since i bought the bike. When I rode right after doing the fairings and such, I noticed the rumble (feels like its coming from the tire almost, cause i feel it on the grips) but didnt think anything of it. Hadnt reached that speed again until this weekend.

Anyone know whats up?

Its really weird cause it only happens at that speed and revs, and its not hard enough to make me worry about losing control of the bike, but because its constant, I am a little worried. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

anyone?.....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Too short to drag knee.

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Hmm... you sure its in the handle bars? Not the tank cover causing the vibration?

LRRS/CCS AM #521

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

yeah man, i feel it in my hands and arms...but even still, the tank cover couldnt make a constant pulsating vibration right?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:21 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try running at the same RPM but a lower gear, see if it makes the same vibration. If it does than your engine is making something vibrate, if not it could be from your drivetrain.

And, anything can vibrate at the right frequency. It could be your tank, grips, fork, fairings, any of those could transfer the vibration to your hands.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

i tried that, and i dont feel anything unfortunately. It may be there, but not strong enough to feel at lower rpms? the weird part of the vibration is, i could prob put a metronome beside it and it would follow to a tee

jsteckelberg, would there be other ways to check to see if its coming from the drivetrain?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
World Superbike Racer

Hmm, I'm just guessing at how strong/frequent the vibrations are. But with the metronome thing, are you saying there is a vibration that keeps repeating itself at some frequency? Like... Whirrr....Whirrr....Whirrr....and so on?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

yeah man

"There was a constant rumble for about 2 seconds, then nothing for 1/2 a second, and it would continually do so"

so
rumble...pause...rumble...pause...(rinse, repeat)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

and i swear, ONLY at 8,000 rpms...if i go faster, then its gone, really weird
at first i almost thought my wheel was unbalanced, but its was too steady and frequent and at the same rpms
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:51 PM
World Superbike Racer

It almost sounds like there are two vibrations that are kind of harmonizing with eachother at that RPM. Could be something from the wheels and in the engine that are lining up at the same frequency. This way, the vibrations you feel would (in the short 2 second period) would go from weak to strong to weak again...

Other than this, I'm kinda stumped w/o being able to hear or feel it myself. I've had other vibrations that were just one thing getting vibrated, but this sounds like two different ones working together.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

thanks for the input anyways bro...and if i find or hear anything else, ill post up...but its so odd...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Too short to drag knee.

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteckelberg View Post
It almost sounds like there are two vibrations that are kind of harmonizing with eachother at that RPM. Could be something from the wheels and in the engine that are lining up at the same frequency. This way, the vibrations you feel would (in the short 2 second period) would go from weak to strong to weak again...

Other than this, I'm kinda stumped w/o being able to hear or feel it myself. I've had other vibrations that were just one thing getting vibrated, but this sounds like two different ones working together.

That could also be a very likely. Nick you also have to remember these bikes make a lot of noise and weird vibrations. Just like anything that moves, it will have some sort of vibrations. Rubber bushings, forks and rubber grommets all over the place help keep the vibrations to a minimal. Have you made sure you transferred all of them over to the new fairing kit??

Always check all the simple things first... Might be you missed something...

LRRS/CCS AM #521

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makct04 View Post
That could also be a very likely. Nick you also have to remember these bikes make a lot of noise and weird vibrations. Just like anything that moves, it will have some sort of vibrations. Rubber bushings, forks and rubber grommets all over the place help keep the vibrations to a minimal. Have you made sure you transferred all of them over to the new fairing kit??

Always check all the simple things first... Might be you missed something...
yeah...triple checked everything since it was my first time taking off and putting on new fairings. if it doesnt get worse, then ill be fine, but if it does, to a mechanic friend i go. mo, steckel, thanks for the help. much appreciated as always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page