Motor froze up - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Motor froze up

Im a senior in high school and built a cbr600rr quad.. well its due this tuesday or i dont graduate, we had started wiring it and noticed rust in the cylinders when we took the throttle body off.. so we tryed turning it over manually and it seized up.. !!

The motor was stolen and when i got it back it was filled with water.. I drained the water but the motor had already rusted out inside.. Thus why it seized up..

So i got a chain and a bar.. after soaking the cylinders with WD 40 over night (because it eats rust and lubs. ) and broke the motor free.. it shot tons of oil and water and WD40 out of the spark plug holes.. but i need it to run by tuesday so i can graduate.. Does anybody know what i can do to get it going.. its still rusted out but will turn over.. the motor still needs wired but im wondering what i need to do to get it going? or should it be okay to wire up and run now that the motor isnt seized?

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Too young to die.. Too fast to live
Ride or Die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If I just need it to run to graduate... then I'd Drop the oil pan and remove any crap that might be there, then refill with fresh oil and a filter. Then maybe some mystery oil or something in the cylinder a bit. However that might foul the plugs I don't know. However some bikes burn a lot of oil and don't foul plugs. I'm just saying to be prepared to buy a new set.

Werd.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

okay thanks. yesterday i drained all the crap out of the motor and dumped marvel mystery oil down the cylinders and threw some oil in it. then drug my quad down the road as if to compression start it and cleaned all the rest of the crap out of the motor. Im thinking if i flush the motor with oil enough it should be fine?

Ride or Die

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 PM
World Superbike Racer

The cylinder walls were rusty. I don't know if it will ever be fine. It may be good enough to graduate. Who knows how long it will run for but you have nothing to loose.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Demented

I agree with dcope on this. Just get it running long enough to graduate.

If there was no water in the oil, there's no need to attempt to flush it. Since the engine was full of water and things were rusted, the only way to get it to run right without things being completely damaged would be to completely rebuild the engine, and that's with hoping the bike was not started or at least turned over while water was in the cylinders.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

so it turns out that the guy i got the motor from had sprayed starting fluid down the intake to get it to start without being hooked up to anything.. he let the motor vibrate across his garage. and starting fluid would completely dry the cylinders.. so any water would be instant surface rust.. Im pretty sure the motor only had surface rust.. or is rust just rust.. and it dont matter.. the motor wont ever run right???

Ride or Die
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 07:28 PM
World Superbike Racer

basically the rings will smooth out the cylinders. except for the pits left from the rust. If it was slightly rusted... maybe not too much damage to the rings and it may run for years. If you had a lot of rust... maybe too much damage to the rings where it will never run again.
You have nothing to lose by trying to start it. In any situation, replacing that motor will be cheaper than rebuilding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page