Fuel pump sounds really strange - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pump sounds really strange

08 RR

Ok, so a week ago, I go to charge my bat. Didnt have a trickle around, only a starter charger with several settings. I made the mistake of being too anxious to get out and enjoy the weather, I didnt pay attention to how many amps I was pumping. Was charging for about two min when I went to start it, turned over and was running for a few seconds, then shut off. Then it hit me... how many amps what I pumping... F me, 125 amps. OMG F.

Droped it down to 2 amps and let it charge up for an hour. Started up fine, most everything was fine, turn signals, tail light, break light, display, everything except two minor details... No headlights, and the fuel pump sounds deaper and sick (for lack of a better term).

For the headlamp, I tried fuse... nope. I only had the low beam on, now both low and high dont work, so not the bulb. Relay? hopefully.

Back to the real problem... I have no idea whats up, just doesnt sound good. Any suggestions?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
really amperage shouldnt have any thing to do with it, amps is the amount of power thats ready to flow, volts is your killer, typically

unless something is shorted, items will only consume so many amps at a given volt

id be more willing to bet that the amp flow into the battery cooked it, as thats really the only device (besides wires) that are amp sensitive, but notihng was shorting, or shouldnt have beenm so wires shouldnt be an issue.

i supose it could be your VR as well.

DDM 55w 7k HID
Sliders
Black Vortex Rearsets
R&G Bar Ends
Black passenger pegs
JPR Shorty levers
Drive Systems Superlight rear sprocket +2
Drive systems front sprocket -1
EK 520MVXZ black chain
Arata Ti Slipon with Ti mid pipe
Pro-Bolts black fairing bolt kit
Versah RJL Brake pads
Flushmounts
fender eliminator
Pair Delete
Bazzaz AFM

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenjin View Post
really amperage shouldnt have any thing to do with it, amps is the amount of power thats ready to flow, volts is your killer, typically

unless something is shorted, items will only consume so many amps at a given volt

id be more willing to bet that the amp flow into the battery cooked it, as thats really the only device (besides wires) that are amp sensitive, but notihng was shorting, or shouldnt have beenm so wires shouldnt be an issue.

i supose it could be your VR as well.
K. Was charging at 12V. I can go out right now and start my bike, no problem. The batt is still good and the charging at 12V 2amp was successful and their is nothing wrong with the batt.

What Im most worried about is the sound when you have the key turned on and disengage the kill switch. You know that sound well. The sound that happends at the same time your speedo goes from 0-180, back down to 0. It does not sound good to me, sounds way different than it use to.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Last edited by Kapture1; 05-06-2010 at 10:13 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

The FI light comes on, but I dont remember how many blinks or if it blinks at all. Im going to check it when I run home for lunch.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

FI Stays on for a second and a half, then shuts off.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Idea...

Well update too. After changing a few fuses, I was able to charge up the bike and ride it up and down the street a few times. I pull back in my driveway and the bike dies and wont start... battery needed a charge. So I gave it a full charge...

My question is the alternator; Is it possible that I killed the alternator by originally having the bike running and the charger still on the battery pumping juice? Its the alternator that charges the battery after riding around a while, correct?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapture1 View Post
08 RR

Ok, so a week ago, I go to charge my bat. Didnt have a trickle around, only a starter charger with several settings. I made the mistake of being too anxious to get out and enjoy the weather, I didnt pay attention to how many amps I was pumping. Was charging for about two min when I went to start it, turned over and was running for a few seconds, then shut off. Then it hit me... how many amps what I pumping... F me, 125 amps. OMG F.

Droped it down to 2 amps and let it charge up for an hour. Started up fine, most everything was fine, turn signals, tail light, break light, display, everything except two minor details... No headlights, and the fuel pump sounds deaper and sick (for lack of a better term).

For the headlamp, I tried fuse... nope. I only had the low beam on, now both low and high dont work, so not the bulb. Relay? hopefully.

Back to the real problem... I have no idea whats up, just doesnt sound good. Any suggestions?

125 amps for 2 minutes is more than enough to hurt your battery. I'm surprised you didn't cause it to rupture. Most battery chargers have internal circuitry that won't allow you to charge that high an amperage for more than a few seconds. That kind of amperage should only be used for a short time when cranking. I don't suppose you've noticed a rotten egg smell coming from your battery? It's a sure sign of an over charge. Your fuel pump is not likely to have been damaged by this unless you had your ignition switch on when you charged it. Even then, I'd still find it difficult to hurt it. The generator perhaps, being that it has mostly solid state circuitry in the voltage regulator, I think would have been in the most danger of being damaged. Sometimes a fuel pump check valve can leak down over time and cause it to have a loud prime when commanded on. If it is consistently loud when running, my experience has been that a failure is not far away. Jump the terminals to the pump if you can't hear it over your engine. It's not a perfect way to check if you aren't sure how a good fuel pump sounds, but it works if it's really obvious.

Molôn Labé!

"Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles. Brag for the rest of your life."

There IS justice in the universe!

Black 2009 600RR ABS

-Akra Slip on
-Hotbodies flushmount signals
-Vincenzo Performance FE
-Custom Tech Spec tank grips
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty Buddy View Post
125 amps for 2 minutes is more than enough to hurt your battery. I'm surprised you didn't cause it to rupture. Most battery chargers have internal circuitry that won't allow you to charge that high an amperage for more than a few seconds. That kind of amperage should only be used for a short time when cranking. I don't suppose you've noticed a rotten egg smell coming from your battery? It's a sure sign of an over charge. Your fuel pump is not likely to have been damaged by this unless you had your ignition switch on when you charged it. Even then, I'd still find it difficult to hurt it. The generator perhaps, being that it has mostly solid state circuitry in the voltage regulator, I think would have been in the most danger of being damaged. Sometimes a fuel pump check valve can leak down over time and cause it to have a loud prime when commanded on. If it is consistently loud when running, my experience has been that a failure is not far away. Jump the terminals to the pump if you can't hear it over your engine. It's not a perfect way to check if you aren't sure how a good fuel pump sounds, but it works if it's really obvious.
No rotten egg smell, I did have the ignition on for a min or so while charging at the high AMPS... actually had the bike running. Last night I did a full charge on the battery. Im going to ride around for a bit when I get home to test this out. Im worried about it shutting down while Im off somewhere. Wouldn't the battery charge up after a while of riding around??? I had the bike running for about 10 min yesterdat after a bref charge (not a full charge) After 10 min, the bike shut off and wouldnt turn back on. I stuck it on a charger for an hour and I have started a few times since then with no problem... accept the god awful sound of the fuel pump. Once I start the bike, everything sounds perfect.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
No rotten egg smell, I did have the ignition on for a min or so while charging at the high AMPS... actually had the bike running. Last night I did a full charge on the battery. Im going to ride around for a bit when I get home to test this out. Im worried about it shutting down while Im off somewhere. Wouldn't the battery charge up after a while of riding around??? I had the bike running for about 10 min yesterdat after a bref charge (not a full charge) After 10 min, the bike shut off and wouldnt turn back on. I stuck it on a charger for an hour and I have started a few times since then with no problem... accept the god awful sound of the fuel pump. Once I start the bike, everything sounds perfect.

Never charge the battery while its running, btw. Yes, the battery should be getting charged while the engine is running unless you hurt the generator circuitry or the battery plates. I'm pretty sure you hurt the battery if it wasn't already weak.

As far as the no start, please describe in greater detail what its doing. Is it a spin, no start? No crank at all? Start then die? Do you hear the pump prime when you cycle the ignition switch? You have a pump on its way out if it sounds "god awful." No doubt about it.

Molôn Labé!

"Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles. Brag for the rest of your life."

Black 2009 600RR ABS

-Akra Slip on
-Vincenzo Performance FE
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Oh, also try swapping relays with the headlights and pump. It's very possible you started to melt the internals when you were charging at 125A.

Molôn Labé!

Black 2009 600RR ABS

-Akra Slip on
-Vincenzo Performance FE
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Knee Dragger

im pretty sure its the other way around. amps are the killers. it couldnt be the voltage that hurt his bike because his charger is a 12v charger and the only thing that varies is the amps. amperage is what burn shat up not voltage. lol am i wrong?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle1469 View Post
im pretty sure its the other way around. amps are the killers. it couldnt be the voltage that hurt his bike because his charger is a 12v charger and the only thing that varies is the amps. amperage is what burn shat up not voltage. lol am i wrong?
You are absolutely correct. Amps make batteries explode, although you can seriously damage things if you shoot 24 volts into a 12 volt system. Some chargers have that setting. Ask the tech I USED to work with. I had to replace every harness and control module on the truck he did that on. He was an engineer, too. I don't have an engineering degree yet, but I do know know that common sense ins't so common in the real world!

Molôn Labé!

Black 2009 600RR ABS

-Akra Slip on
-Vincenzo Performance FE
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Never charge the battery while its running, btw. Yes, the battery should be getting charged while the engine is running unless you hurt the generator circuitry or the battery plates. I'm pretty sure you hurt the battery if it wasn't already weak.

As far as the no start, please describe in greater detail what its doing. Is it a spin, no start? No crank at all? Start then die? Do you hear the pump prime when you cycle the ignition switch? You have a pump on its way out if it sounds "god awful." No doubt about it.
I hear the fuel pump prime (even tho it sounds terrible when it primes), I hit the start, and it wouldn't crank, so I charged it for an hour and it started fine, but I haven't rode it around since. when i did a half charge (actually had it on the charger for 5 min or so) started it up and rode it for about 10 min. Turned it off and tried to start it right away and no crank.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Oh, also try swapping relays with the headlights and pump. It's very possible you started to melt the internals when you were charging at 125A.
I will try that later today

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
I will try that later today

Let me clarify that before you waste your time moving relays around. I re-read what I wrote and it looks funny. Use KNOWN good relays in the sockets where you are having electrical issues. Note any smell of ozone or burnt plastic. If that does not improve the symptoms you are experiencing, we'll try something else.

I would like to know, why are you using a charger with such regular frequency? I understand why you are now, you need a battery, but why did you you one in the first place? Bike in storage? Cold weather?

Molôn Labé!

Black 2009 600RR ABS

-Akra Slip on
-Vincenzo Performance FE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page