Starting issues, oil light stays on - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Starting issues, oil light stays on

Got a few issues with my race bike that are driving me crazy, any idea would be very much appreciated.

When I go to start the bike, it'll start cranking then slows down and sounds like its dying as though the battery were pooched. I'll leave it for about 15 -30 seconds, and then it will start up - a bit hesitantly but it does fire up.

I thought it was the battery initially, but I've now tried 3 different batteries with exactly the same thing happening, the latest is a brand new battery.

I've tried swapping out the regulator and the starter solenoid with no change. Could it be the starter itself?

The second issue that's just come up, is the oil light goes off when the bike starts, but then comes back on a moment later, then just stays on. Thought it could be the oil pressure sensor so I replaced that, but it hasn't gone away.
It had me worried that it was actually an oil pressure problem but I don't think it is.. I first idled the bike for about 20 minutes and nothing went wrong, so I went on a 11 hour drive for a race weekend.. when the bike actually started it ran fine, oil light stayed on but through 2 days of racing nothing blew up, so I can't imagine it actually being low oil pressure.

Third problem.. the idle adjuster is not affecting idle speed at all. I took off the tank and felt up to the end of the cable, I can feel the screw moving in and out so I know it hasn't backed out all the way or anything, I just can't seem to figure out why it isn't changing the idle.

EMRA/CMRA #186
'05 600RR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckDave View Post
Got a few issues with my race bike that are driving me crazy, any idea would be very much appreciated.

When I go to start the bike, it'll start cranking then slows down and sounds like its dying as though the battery were pooched. I'll leave it for about 15 -30 seconds, and then it will start up - a bit hesitantly but it does fire up.

I thought it was the battery initially, but I've now tried 3 different batteries with exactly the same thing happening, the latest is a brand new battery.

I've tried swapping out the regulator and the starter solenoid with no change. Could it be the starter itself?
oh jeez, ive got this EXACT issue...nobody has been able to solve my problem just yet, ive been working on it for about a year now.

last on my list of fixes is the starter motor itself, or extremely fouled spark plugs. if these two dont remedy the problem, i may take it to a mechanic.

im thinking its the former of the two. lets get this problem solved fellas.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I wouldn't think it would be the latter, I just put in brand new plugs a week ago and its doing the same thing as last year.

I'm guessing its either the starter itself of the cabling somewhere, bad ground or something? Though I've checked every ground and connection I could find, and nothing really sticks out as obvious.

I'm going to try to find a replacement starter, when I get it replaced or track down the problem some other way I'll post up again and let you know what it was

EMRA/CMRA #186
'05 600RR

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckDave View Post
I wouldn't think it would be the latter, I just put in brand new plugs a week ago and its doing the same thing as last year.

I'm guessing its either the starter itself of the cabling somewhere, bad ground or something? Though I've checked every ground and connection I could find, and nothing really sticks out as obvious.

I'm going to try to find a replacement starter, when I get it replaced or track down the problem some other way I'll post up again and let you know what it was
sweet, all thats left is the starter. i've also checked for bad grounds, and couldnt find anything totally obvious. ive been trying to source a cheap starter for a week or so now, with no avail. please let me know how it goes!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check the wires going to the oil presser light it could have a short in the wire some where. Had the same thing happen with the oil light and the neutral light. The wires had gotten wore on the left side under the intake cover. Does kinda sond like the starter, had one do the same thing on my truck. Best of luck.

My fav. Quote!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluremi View Post
Listen, a--hole, if I wanna do wheelies in the driveway to impress my son's classmates I'm gonna damn well do it and you safety fascists better stay outta my way cuz the driveway's pretty short and you have to hit the brakes pretty hard to avoid those damn kids
Nothing more, nothing less
The guy with the bigger gun wins

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Knee Dragger

any updates here?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Still not totally resolved.. I replaced the starter and it does start much better when its cold, but I still have problems starting when the bike is hot

EMRA/CMRA #186
'05 600RR

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you given the inside of the start switch a good scrub with a toothbrush and a coat of WD40?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well I fixed the "oil light" issue, which actually turned out to be cooling system related - I had to replace the coolant temp sensor which sits at the back of the head underneath the thermostat.

Still have hot start issues.. I've had a couple people say it could be exhaust valves so I'm going to try to check valve clearances.

The bike starts well when its cold or has had about 20-30 minutes to cool down, only have this problem when the bike is hot, really annoying. Any other ideas if this isn't caused by valves out of adjustment?

EMRA/CMRA #186
'05 600RR

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sell bike, pass along problem to joe schmo on a gxsr. Buy new 2010 CBR.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I suspect two of those problem are related - if your bike won't start hot, and your idle adjustment isn't working, it sounds like your bike is running rich. And your idle is probably slow...
Take your covers off, lift tank up, remove the airbox and see what's going on with your throttle bodies. Make sure your throttle cables are both adjusted correctly, and the butterflies open and close the way they're supposed to.
The idle adjustment screw works with the fast idle wax unit to control the 4 starter valves - if the wax unit is stuck/frozen it'll do what you're describing. Get a manual!

If this is the case, your plugs are probably pretty fouled up. Put in a new set once you get your idle speed fixed.
Otherwise there might be a sensor issue - it'd probably be worth your time to get your codes checked and make sure everything is functioning correctly (MAP, ECT, Throttle Position, O2).

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page