Battery wont hold charge - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery wont hold charge

i have a 03 cbr600rr and just bought a new battery for it. when i first installed it the bike started up fine so i rode for about couple of hours went home. couple of hours later tried to started up again and wont start. so i thought maybe its because its a new battery and just needed to be charge 100% so i put it on the charger till its 100%. started up and its fine same story as before after shutting it off wont start back up... this is probably a common problem so if you can direct me to the right thread or help me troubleshoot this itll be very helpful. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
DO the simple tests first so the first test would be to get the battery load tested
any auto parts store such as pep boys, Autozone usually will do that for free
so get that done to know for sure if the battery is no good , decent or excellent
Just because when you bought it it was Brand new does not mean it was a good battery

In my line of work its not a given that the battery would be excellent because it was just bought. The battery gets hooked up to a machine and tested before installing it and i come across a dead one evrey once and a while

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you should read my thread that is going on at the moment. i got my battery load tested, then it failed. bought a new battery went riding for a couple hours and died again. so i went to the dealership and got the charging system checked out and they tell me my stator/generator is bad

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
scorpion
If you have a shop manual you can do the test yourself i do not trust dealerships

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Training Wheel Hero

After you check the generator, dont forget to check the rectifier also..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

it does say how to check the resistance but i also suck at electrical work, so i wanted to double check my readings with the mechanic and it was only 30 bux. im great with mechanical issues but not with electric issues
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Knee Dragger

Also if you have any high resistance readings make sure to check the connections and the volage drops on the circuits. Typically if you have issues in your charging system you can verify it by looking at output voltages. Make sure to check your powers and grounds as the basics always get people!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

it looks like i need a new regulator. should i get an oem or aftermarket one? does it matter?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 05:45 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

depends on how much is a new aftermarket compared to the oem and also if it has the same wire harness connection
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by millcitycbr View Post
it looks like i need a new regulator. should i get an oem or aftermarket one? does it matter?
I would always stick to OE electronic parts unless they are known to have build quality issues (in this case, I know of none). They'll typically come with a better warranty and give you less trouble should you ever need to exchange it.

Molôn Labé!

"Swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles. Brag for the rest of your life."

There IS justice in the universe!

Black 2009 600RR ABS

-Akra Slip on
-Hotbodies flushmount signals
-Vincenzo Performance FE
-Custom Tech Spec tank grips
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

charging system help

im not sure if the regulator or the stator is my problem so i wanted to tested them before i buy anything...im not good with electrical so if there is anyone around MA/NH area is willing to help me out it'll be appreciated.
thanks in advance
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

i had the same problem the past two weeks. the regulator went, its pretty rare for a stator to go if you didnt crash it. if you can find a cheap used one to try as a experiment (wish i would of) then you will know. just make sure you disconnect the neg battery cable before you remove or install the new one. my battery voltage apon start up read at 12.3-12.7 while revving around 5k. now im around 13.8
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Replaced the regulator with a new one from honda and after 1-2 hours of riding , its still doing the same thing.any ideas?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Knee Dragger

Where are you, around Lowell? Some nestreetriders members might be able to help you out. If it's not the regulator, check the stator (alternator). Test the output with a multimeter. How many miles on the odometer? The brushes in the alternator may be worn down if there are a lot of miles on the bike. Otherwise, it might just be a corroded ground connection somewhere. Start with the main ground point where all the green wires are bolted to the frame and clean and tighten that. Get all the corrosion and oxidation off the wire terminals so you have good electrical contact.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqac View Post
The brushes in the alternator may be worn down if there are a lot of miles on the bike.
...there are no brushes. Otherwise good advise.

Did you get your battery load tested since you had it go flat? Running it that low will kill it in one go.

You may have an issue with your stator windings, just find the plug that has 3 yellow wires in it and measure their resistance (all three combinations possible) it should be 0.1 - 1 ohm, if its any higher you may have an open winding causing the voltage from your r/r to be low.

Pull apart and clean every plug in the charging system, give them a good scrub with a stiff brush and electrical contact cleaner, then pull off the earthing points and do the same to them.

Run the bike up to 5k rpm and measure your charging voltage, it should be around 14V but below 15.5V.

And remember once you have got the correct charging voltage go get your battery load tested again to make sure you don't end up chasing your tail looking for a further fault in the bike that doesn't exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page