Need Some Help on an 04 - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Some Help on an 04

Alright, here it is. I have an 04 600 RR and need some help troubleshooting some issues. First a little back history

The bike got screwed up a few years back but never had the time or money to get it fixed. A year and a half later, my father in law comes and helps me figure out, that I blew a main fuse near the battery. The damage had already been done, as it sat with fuel in the tank and no type of stabalizer. The tank rusted, ruined the fuel pump and so on and so on.

Skip ahead to two months ago... The wife an I had a major change in our financial situation so she told me to go ahead and get the bike fixed. So I started buying all the stuff I needed to get it going again. I bought a new tank, fuel pump, plugs and some fuel stabalizer, battery, engine cleaner, and some yamalube to help the rings and fuel system.

Start installing the stuff and pretty much doing a complete re-build of the bike. Get the new tank installed with the new pump and new main fuel line from the pump to the fuel rail. Got the new plugs put on, and I go to start it, and all she will do is crank. There is no fire what so ever to the bike. I have gone through, double checked all my wire connections and made sure they were connected. The kick stand is up, bike is in neutral, and the kill switch is on. I turn the key and hear the pump prime, but hit the start button and all it will do is crank.

I am thinking the bike is not getting fuel to the plugs to ignite. I even tried to push start it twice and nothing. What could be the problem? It may be something simple that I am not checking, or it maybe something that I for got to think about. Either way, I am at wits end, and ready for this build to be over. I really don't want to take it to a shop to have it fixed, but I am almost to that point. Can anyone, please help me with this problem. I will be in great debt to you. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
dont that think gas is or is not getting to the plugs, crank it over for a bit and pull a plug and see if its wet. Troubleshooting involves ruling out this and that to narrow things down. Basic motor troubleshooting is a good google search for you.
Pull a plug from the motor but leave it plugged into the coil and stick the electrode end to the tip of your pointer finger as you have a friend crank the bike over. This will tell you right away if you have spark or not.
Also make sure you checked ALL the fuses. Even the big main one that brought her down for so long.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Any other help hints or things I should look at during my troubleshooting process?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The fuel takes a little while to fill the fuel lines. Not more than say 20 seconds worth of starting though.
Try some ether / starting fluid. It will definitely let you know if you have spark or not.

Ride hard today, Ride harder tomorrow,!
Walk close to Christ today, Walk closer tomorrow

How to fix headlights... Dreamzboy's excellent write-up
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=138034
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Did you clean the fuel injection rail? Ensure you have spark first since that's easily ruled out. Then you can start tracing back the fuel source. Ruling out tank, pump, and lines, it seems like the fuel rail is the next step.

Are you getting any fault codes on the gauge cluster from the FI light flashing?

My Highside wreck

Phil 4:13

Last edited by havoc; 05-11-2010 at 08:45 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

No, there are not any fault codes that I am seeing. When I turn the bike on, and go to start it, I am not seeing any red flashing lights at all. I mean it comes on when I first turn the bike on, but after that it goes off and stays off.

Now as far as the fuel rails and cleaning them, what type of cleaner, or solvent should I use to ensure the rails get cleaned. I bought this stuff from the dealership that takes old fuel and ensures that it burns off instead of collecting inside the fuel system. I wish I would have known about that stuff a few years ago.

I stopped by the dealership today and had to order a radiator bolt, and I talked to the service department. The guy I spoke too told me that more than likely, my injectors have seized up and I will probably have to replace them. He told me to take a screw driver and hold up to the injector and try and start it while holding my ear to the handle end of the screw driver. He told me that I should hear it "clicking". He said if I don't then they are seize up and will probably need to be replaced.

Does anyone have any other ways to check the injectors that works well?

As far as the starter fluid, excuse my ignorance, but where should I spray it? I can honestly say, I have never had to do this with a vehicle or bike before. So I still have some Newbness coming out of me. Thanks for he replies. Very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page