Brand New Bearings Shot After Install Optest - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brand New Bearings Shot After Install Optest

Check this....I need some serious help. The day before yesterday I replaced my front wheel bearings because they were bad. Went on the initial test ride down the road only going 30-35 MPH and the same popping sound started again from the front wheel. I got to the motorcycle shop down the street and had the mechanics there look at it. They raised the front end and spun the wheel to see where the popping sound was coming from. I for sure thought that the popping sound was from the bearing. My front right rotor was slightly bent and has been since i bought the bike 3 months ago. Something i alread knew about. I had brake problems due to it being bent and i straightened it the best i could with a "15 adjustable wrench so that my brakes would work. As they spun the front wheel they saw that the rivits on the rotor could be possibly rubbing on the right fork. So yesterday I got a new straight front right rotor and installed it. Put the front wheel back on and the popping and cracking noise was still there. Removed the wheel, new dust seals, and check the bearings and they are FUBAR'd again. I know i installed them right. I put the new bearings in the freezer, left the wheel out in the hot sun for a few hours and when i installed the new frozen bearings they almost dropped right in. i used my old bad bearings and lightly tapped them down into the wheel until they were completely seated then installed new dust seals. Done everything by the service manual with the exception of using the bearing removal and installation tool. So i have new bearing on order again. Should have them in a week. I just need help figuring out what would cause my brand new bearings to break after about a mile of riding. The rim is straight. Just had it spun at a wheel straightening shop. The rotors are now completely straight. I'm baffled. I mean, there aint **** to it. The only thing i can think of is the axle. But I'm not sure. One other thing to consider, when i installed the new bearings and wheel, I could not torque the axle bolt down to the correct pressure. The service manual indicates 43 ft./lb. but when i torque to that spec, the wheel seizes and it is very had to turn. It should turn freely right? So i backed it down to 34 ft./lb. and the wheel spins freely, but not great. Now, its been like that since i bought the bike. I really think that has something to do with it but again. I just don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page