'08 600RR - throttle response at 2-5% open - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
'08 600RR - throttle response at 2-5% open

My bike is jerking forward from 0% to 5% throttle and seems to have significant engine breaking as soon as I roll off the gas. Anyone have ideas on how to correct this? Please see below for more details on how it started and what I've done.

Background: My 08 600rr was fantastic prior to me monkeying with it. I recently completed the following mods:

pair removal and install of block off plates
removal of the evap canister (CA version)
install of arrow headers (replaced my OEM headers) coupled with Leo Vince slip-on (I kept the servo motor and removed the cables)
install of K&N race air filter (removal of OEM filter)

When I first started the bike it had a solid FI light (no flashing) and ran poorly. I expected that it would run poorly because of the changes and took it to the guy that previously made a custom map (Power Commander) for my Leo Vince slip-on that was connected to stock headers.

Despite working on the bike far longer than most map jobs he has done he couldn't get it to clear the FI light. Worse yet, when I took it to a track day the bike was unrideable at 0% to 5% throttle. Specifically it seems to have significant engine breaking when I roll off the throttle and jerks forward when you just begin to roll the throttle on. Try cracking the throttle after trail braking into a corner and have the bike try to buck you out of the seat...it ruins your day not to mention your lap times. At any other time when the gas is applied it runs perfectly. I brought it back to him at another track day and he tried to lean out the mixture for my problem but it didn't help.

Any ideas how to fix it? I've already reinstalled the OEM header and stock filter and went back to a stock fuel map just to see if that would clear the FI light but it hasn't.

Thanks.

Noah's Dad (Benjamin Enzo's dad too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Demented

Put the bike in neutral on the kickstand, start it, and let us know what the series of long and short flashes are on the FI light.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Put the bike in neutral on the kickstand, start it, and let us know what the series of long and short flashes are on the FI light.
There are no flashes. It is a solid light. FWIW, when turning the bike on it runs through the normal process including illuminating the FI light. The light then turns off. Only after starting the bike does the FI light come on - usually within 2 seconds of the bike starting.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Demented

You need to put the bike in neutral on the kick stand while running for the FI to flash the code. Otherwise it will stay solid indicating that there is a mechanical or electrical fault in the bike.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
You need to put the bike in neutral on the kick stand while running for the FI to flash the code. Otherwise it will stay solid indicating that there is a mechanical or electrical fault in the bike.
It's a track only bike - no kickstand. Is there another way to get the code?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Demented

You can create an open in the kickstand safety switch circuit, or you can jump the green to brown wire in the SCS connector, bike in neutral, and turn the ignition on.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 10:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

thanks

thanks. It turned out it wasn't a servo error but a MAP sensor error. I had inadvertently routed the map sensor hose incorrectly and it was pinched when the airbox was seated. That little mistake, once fixed, corrected the 0 - 5% performance on the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page