Problems installing All Balls tapered bearings!!! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems installing All Balls tapered bearings!!!

I am in the middle of installing All Ball bearings on my 06 600rr. I got off the old race off and pressed the new tapered bearings down the steering stem. Then placed the stem in the frame then torqued the nut down that takes the special tool.

Now here's the problem, after putting that special nut on there is a locking nut and locking washer that are to go on but I don't have any threads showing for them to grab. There is a gap between the top and bottom of the neck of the frame where both bearing sets go on. Everything seems to be fitting where it needs to go so what is wrong? Am I not suppose to use the lock nut any more or did I maybe press the stem out the bottom of the lower triple tree a little when i pressed the new lower bearing on maybe?

Please help!!!!!!!

Last edited by dkeets; 08-14-2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Spelling error...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 80 reviews
a picture would be very helpful.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have a look at the bottom of the stem where it goes into the lower tripple, there should be around 5mm between the bottom of the stem and the bottom of the tripple. Also make sure that the races in the stem tube are seated properly.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Ok, thanks Nico for the measurement, I guess we can rule out the stem being pressed out a little cause it measured between 5mm and 5.5mm from the bottom of the stem to the bottom of the lower... I checked the races and they don't sit flush with the neck of the stem tube. The bottom race sticks out about 1.75mm and the top sticks out about 3.5mm. Is that right? I double checked the part number of the bearing set and it's the right one so I have no idea??? And busyychild I will do my best to get so pics up ASAP. Thanks guys for such quick responses!

Last edited by dkeets; 08-14-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Spelling error...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Administrator

They should sit in nice and flush, if you have your old races get a big bolt and a couple of heavy washers and use them to seat your new ones in properly, that should solve your problem
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Ok I was thinking about doing that but was a little confused caus the old races came out with no problem. So i figured that the races needed some play in the stem tube and was worried about wedging them in there and it causing damage. But I will try and report back...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Ok that's a no go. The races are sitting as far down as possible. Ther are sitting on the small lip before the rolled lip where the factory bearings would sit. I'm going to try and post some pics but not sure how since all I have is my iPhone???
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Demented

Does the package the bearings came in have pt# 22-1020 on it?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Ok let me start off by apologizing to all that I have wasted their time! I'm seriously stupid! I just discovered that there are two races per bearing of which one that is wedged into the stem neck on the frame... In my defense, this was my first attempt at changing these bearings out and started late last night with little light. Lol. But I now have the bearing set in perfectly and now owe you all several minutes of your life back... But seriously thanks though and please don't take my ignorance out on other newbies that are really in need of tech advise. Hopefully I have beaten myself up enough that you guys will be a little easier on me in replies, I have a pic of the sinerio (which seems to be the only positive to the equation, which cause me to learn how to post pics)... So please enjoy and try not to laugh too hard, lol!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator

No worries mate, good to see you got it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page